Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pissedoff2
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

Anyone else been lied to by BT staff

Go to solution

I am having signicant trouble with trying to get my account sorted. I have been overcharged for 4 months and spent lots of time on the phone trying to get those usless muppets on the help-line to get it sorted.

My complaint has been ongoing for 4 months now and when I raised this issue again a few weeks ago I was told it would be sorted out. My next bill was still wrong and no refund for the overpayment.😠

The next kick in the knackers came when I got an email stating that they had tried to call me but could not get an answer so they would close my complaint in 14 days. So I rang BT again to ask who called and when. I was told they had rung my land-line on the 11th November, starnge that when I dialled last number called that was one on the 7th November so clearly a lie. I was then told this Monday by the latest muppet that my case holder (the liar) would ring me back but as of today not a peep from them.

How can they be so frigging useless?

13 REPLIES 13
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Anyone else been lied to by BT staff

Go to solution

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

0 Ratings
pissedoff2
Beginner
Message 3 of 14

Go to solution

Thanks,

0 Ratings
pissedoff2
Beginner
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution

I would add that I have requested copies of all my telephone discussions with BT.

0 Ratings
JohnC2
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution

Hi @pissedoff2 welcome to the forum and thanks for posting. I'm sorry that you have not managed to get the incorrect billing sorted after so many weeks. We will be happy to help you get this sorted out. I've sent you a Private Message with details on how to contact the Mod team.

Cheers
John

0 Ratings
Coelura
Beginner
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution

Yes, on a couple of occasions. 

After the first incident I have learned to record all conversations that I have with BT.  As far as I am concerned they warn the caller that all calls will be recorded for 'training purposes...blah,blah, blah'.  By doing so I consider that they are therefore giving permission for the caller to make recordings as well. 

This proved to be invaluable when on a 2nd occasion they changed my broadband, TV package resulting in a significant price increase.  On querying the price increase I was told that I had requested a change to the package during a previous phone call, according to a log of call notes entered by their representative  - untrue, as the previous call had been to check when the contract for the package was due to end, not to change it or renew it.

My response was to tell them that I was quite willing to wait on hold while they looked out the recording of the previous call so we could listen to it and verify exactly what had been discussed. I waited 10/15 minutes only to have them come back and say that they were unable to access the recording at that time and that they would call me back.  At this point I agreed but also confirmed that if they were unable to 'find' the recording I would be happy to provide them with my copy of the entire call.

Needless to say I did not receive a return call, however my next bill did show a credit against charges and a return to the original pricing.

The problem with BT is they can say anything they like and you have to take their word for it or find it very difficult to dispute what they say.  I don't know if their Rep's receive a bonus for re-contracting or upgrading but it would certainly have explained the 'notes' that were made against my previous call.

Should a customer wish to make a complaint to Ofcom etc. then a recording of previous conversations  could prove very useful in disputing (as in my case) what had been discussed and verbally agreed to. 

I know this may not help you with your present predicament but it would be worth doing in the future.  Ensure that you ask and confirm the name of the person with whom you are speaking as this will also provide a log of calls made, dates and times etc. that may be requested if an investigation into your complaint is to be made.

-Richie-
Guru
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution

@Coelurawrote:

After the first incident I have learned to record all conversations that I have with BT.  As far as I am concerned they warn the caller that all calls will be recorded for 'training purposes...blah,blah, blah'.  By doing so I consider that they are therefore giving permission for the caller to make recordings as well. 

Just remember to make that person aware you are recording at the start of the call, If you are transferred then remember to inform that person as well, that person at that stage has the right to decline or transfer you to someone who consents to being recorded.
There are rules set by the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000 (RIPA) should you need more information.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

@-Richie- wrote:

@Coelurawrote:

Just remember to make that person aware you are recording at the start of the call, If you are transferred then remember to inform that person as well, that person at that stage has the right to decline or transfer you to someone who consents to being recorded.
There are rules set by the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000 (RIPA) should you need more information.

I think you will find that under the circumstances as outlined in this post RIPA does not apply. 

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2000/23/contents

In this instance where a private individual is recording a call he/she does not need to inform the other party that they are being recorded provided the recording is not going to be given to a third party.

Businesses on the other hand are governed by various laws when it comes to recording communications. 

0 Ratings
-Richie-
Guru
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution

@gg30340wrote:

In this instance where a private individual is recording a call he/she does not need to inform the other party that they are being recorded provided the recording is not going to be given to a third party. 

So an individual can record the call but it can only be sent back to BT should anything need disputing, if that dispute ever reached ADR then can it be used ? ADR would be classed as a third party.
If the advisor shared their details which could identify them, would they do so knowing someone had a backup of that info ? just like if the person who recorded it make a backup to cloud storage, then that would be a third party surely ? or that person lost the device, you're putting yourself at risk because you've recorded yourself validating by things like name, address, email address, account number and even date of birth.

Personally I'd make a person aware if I was recording, however the need should never arise that I needed to do so in an ideal world 🙂

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution

If there was a dispute with BT the recording could in the first instance be used because you are dealing with a company and the persons in the recording are part of that company, not a third party. If it went to ADR it could be used because they are dealing with both parties who now have had access to the recording and know what it contains and have agreed to go to ADR.

If it was going to be used in a Civil or Criminal court it would be up to the judge to decide whether or not it would be admissible as evidence.  

The bottom line is that RIPA does not apply as you had stated because there is no legal requirement for a private individual to inform anybody that they are making the recording in this instance.