cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Desaan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 18

Anyone paying £50+ a month for Infinity 2?

Go to solution

uaCtESg

Much wow, very speed.

I used to get 70/20, those days are long gone.

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: Anyone paying £50+ a month for Infinity 2?

Go to solution

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) and if  HH5 then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and if HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information . 

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Desaan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 18

Go to solution

I bought myself a nice TPLINK AC1900 modem/router some years ago but sadly it died, so 6 months ago I had to go back to using my HH3 and Openreach router because BT never bothered to give me anything else in the 8+ years since? 

It provides no valuable information whatsoever in its "logs" and line test is quiet.  To be honest this happens a lot on and off over the years and for lack of another provider to switch to that doesn't piggyback the line (no Virgin cable in my area) I'm just stuck paying for substandard internet that just slowly gets worse over the years.  Like I said before, used to get 70/20 and over the years that's degraded and it's a complete waste of time actually contacting BT over problems because phone support know about as much about tech issues and probably even less than my 7 year old nephew does. 

If I raise a support ticket via the BT website, it just gets flagged as solved after 4 days when in actual fact nothing even happened.  Today though.....15+ dropped connections and DLM has murdered my IP profile, it's great.

chrome_sEpwY2TuXx-min.jpg

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 18

Go to solution

Your speed range expected is 65/45mb and according to dslchecker you had a 50mb connection speed on 12/8 which is with expected range

what about quiet line test as line noise is the most common sauce of an unstable connection

unless your modem is unlocked you are unable to post the connection stats which would have been very helpful

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Desaan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 18

Go to solution

This is literally all the information I can provide at the moment, line test is quiet and HH3 provides no useful information whatsoever.  The last time this happened it just magically resolves itself after a week and I didn't even bother venting about it anywhere, but with COVID on the loose and having no choice but to work from home this is absolutely killing me.

oJ1pXgT

0 Ratings
Desaan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 18

Go to solution

Did some more testing today when I got the chance to, don't normally have the landline phone connected anymore so it revealed more problems.

When performing the quiet line test and calling numbers it's fine.  However, when I pick up the phone and get the dial tone there's a horrendous amount of static and the DSL light on the openreach router goes off instantly.  I checked around the sockets to see if anything was damaged or something was pulling on a wire or anything but it's all the same as usual, socket is in a spare room that's unused so nothing caused by internal damage.

It's been as bad today as the rest of the week, so far 15+ dropped connections and it's only 5pm.  I've actually had enough of BT, I'm paying for a premium service and in return I get constantly **bleep** on.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 18

Go to solution

You need to check at the test socket, as something is not right.

What does your master phone socket look like?

Keith_Beddoe_0-1577035081757.jpegKeith_Beddoe_1-1577035100602.jpeg

0 Ratings
Desaan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 18

Go to solution

It's number 2, but like I said before I don't even use the landline anymore and haven't for a number of years.  The phone isn't even connected to the socket, until today when I did some testing.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 18

Go to solution

@Desaan wrote:

It's number 2.

I did wonder, as they do suffer from bad connections.

Please can you connect things up as shown below, and see if you get a good connection, and no noise on the phone. You mention that you are also still using an Openreach modem, and not a home hub 5 or 6, which do not need the modem. If you still have to use the modem, then connect that as shown, instead of the home hub.

That would only apply to the home hub 3 or 4, all the rest do not need the modem.

NTE 5C Test socket checkNTE 5C Test socket check

0 Ratings
Desaan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 18

Go to solution

Jesus, not even sure the last time I even saw a microfilter.  Am I buying one from Amazon just to do this test?  What's the likelihood this is nothing internal anyway and just something some engineer screwed up somewhere.  I put in a fault report with BT yesterday after doing their online test, they aim to have it resolved by Monday.

I'll try looking around for a filter but pretty sure I'll have to order one.  BT have never provided me with an option to upgrade my setup the entire time I've been on FTTC, so I use what they gave me.  I did shell out £140 on a TPLINK modem router a few years ago but after it bit the dust a month outside warranty I went back to my original setup.

0 Ratings