cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
barnpiece
Expert
Message 11 of 18

Re: Anyone paying £50+ a month for Infinity 2?

Go to solution

Just to check, you are testing with an ethernet connected device aren't you?

Wireless connections are much slower on speed tests.

Richard

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 18

Go to solution

@Desaan wrote:

Jesus, not even sure the last time I even saw a microfilter.  Am I buying one from Amazon just to do this test?  What's the likelihood this is nothing internal anyway and just something some engineer screwed up somewhere.  I put in a fault report with BT yesterday after doing their online test, they aim to have it resolved by Monday.

I'll try looking around for a filter but pretty sure I'll have to order one.

So how are you filtering the phone connection at the moment, if you do not have a master socket with a separate filtered output for the phone?

If you do not have any form of filter, then the phone will interfere with the broadband.

How are you managing to connect the Openreach modem to the phone line, without a microfilter, or a filtered master socket?

I suspect that the problems you are having, are due to the way you have things connected up.

0 Ratings
Desaan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 18

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe I don't use the landline, it's not even connected to the socket.  The master socket has 2 connections, one for the phone line, one for the openreach router/homehub.  The only thing connected to it is the openreach router.

@barnpiece Yeah everything is connected via LAN.

The way that faceplate is setup today is exactly how it was setup when my FTTC was activated, I've had long periods of no issues then periods of a week or more of what's happening now, constantly, for years.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 18

Go to solution

So its socket number 5 and not number 2, as you originally said?

They do suffer from loose connections, where the front clip does not hold the MK4 filter plate properly. Testing from the test socket would prove it.

Or ask for a visit, if you are sure its nothing to do with your wiring.

I assume when you tested for noise on the phone, that you plugged it into the phone socket on the front faceplate?

0 Ratings
Desaan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 18

Go to solution

Just a quick update, thanks for trying to help guys but as I've had the same recurring issue on and off for years I know this isn't an internal wiring or equipment issue.  I suspect this was either yet again something to do with maintenance somewhere or a shoddy engineer job gone wrong, something definitely goes on with the exchange in my area every few months. 

I reported the fault on the 1st of September, the current status of the fault is unresolved after the ETA of the fix came and went.  The ETA is currently the 15th of September, which just slides a day for everyday it goes unfixed.  The line is stable, no drops for 6 days but speeds are still low 13-15 mbps down and 2 mbps up.  I've spent probably a grand total of 4 hrs this week alone trying to get through via phone, I average about 45 mins a try before I give up.

I also made an official complaint last week on the grounds of a continually problematic and poor service and was told someone would contact me in a few days, surprise surprise, nobody did.  I work from home and often have to transfer and receive large source code files, the current situation is untenable and very likely to cost me my job sooner rather than later.  If I lived a few streets down I could get VM cable at 10 times the speeds for less than what I pay BT every month.  Moving actually seems like a legitimate reason to escape the farcical service I get but that seems (almost) insane, with every passing day though another fault goes unfixed, a seemingly realistic scenario everytime this happens.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 18

Go to solution

Have you checked to see if you have a dial tone on the landline as a big reduction in speed like you have can be caused by one of the 2 wires disconnected at the master socket 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Desaan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 18

Go to solution

Yes there is a dial tone. I keep the landline disconnected anyway and have done for a long time, we have no use for it.  The master socket is safely tucked away in an unused spare room that nobody ever goes in, there is no chance this was caused by anything internal.

0 Ratings
Desaan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 18

Go to solution

This is now resolved.  Had a great guy from complaints contact me on Friday and he had two engineers repairing the fault on Saturday and Sunday (corroded joints at the cabinet) including one engineer who drove down 3hrs from Newcastle on a Sunday morning and drove straight back.

0 Ratings