cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Mr-Spock
Message 1 of 9

Appalling Engineer/Customer Service

I don’t for a second believe posting my experience of BT ‘customer service’, will change the experience of customers at all for the better, but just need to let future customers know what’s in store.  Whoever you have providing your phone and internet, if anything goes wrong with your line, then you only have the ‘choice’ of a BT Engineer.  The following is an experience that unfortunately is common. My phone line started to crackle and became unusable, the internet then trickled to a halt.  I phoned my provider who stated that a BT Engineer would call at a certain date.  My wife waited in, but no one came.  I again phoned and was given another date.  An engineer came, scanned the ground outside our home with a fault finding device, he stated that the fault was under the public footpath.  A few days later someone from BT came and dug the path up, then left.  Another day and Engineer came and fiddled with the underground wires, stating that he’d found the fault and it was fixed, then he left without giving us a chance to test the phone line.  It still didn’t work.  Then another day BT sent someone to fill the hole.  I had yet again phoned my provider to state that the fault has still not been fixed. 

I decided to investigate the wire leading from our house and found the fault myself.  The fault was caused by the wire that leaves the ground and connects to the house had become detached, it was obvious that this was the problem, just by looking.  Again a BT Engineer came out and I watched him with his underground scanner as he walked around our garden.  As he didn’t seem to be finding a fault I drew his attention to the wire coming out of our house.  He confirmed that I had indeed found the fault!  Why didn’t the ‘professionals’, find it, they’d been plenty of times?  He reconnected the wires and the phone and internet then worked. 

Another time I was looking after my sister’s house whilst she was on holiday and she’d arranged for a BT Engineer to come and fix the fault she was having, no phone and internet so slow it was unusable.  I had noticed a heavy branch was resting on the phone lines about 500 yards from her home.  When the BT Engineer came he connected a device to her phone and stated that the fault was back at the exchange and that he would reset it and it should work within a few hours.  I asked him if he thought the tree branch could be contributing to the fault, he said no, he’d found the fault.  So 24 hours after he’d left the fault remained the same, again another BT Engineer came and connected the same device to find the fault and stated to me, without my mentioning the tree that a branch was the cause and he even told me how many yards away from the house the fault was, he investigated and it was the tree causing the fault.

How is it that a professional service?  I mentioned my experience to a friend who was a BT Engineer but lived some distance from me, so was unable to help me initially and he stated that my experience is common.

This is due to privatisation, there is no public service ethos left in BT and many people who are employed by BT, don’t even know what that means.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Appalling Engineer/Customer Service

This is a BT Retail customer to customer forum.  BT Retail is just an ISP and phone provider just like your own provider.

The company who are responsible for the "BT Engineer" is Openreach who, although part of the BT Group have nothing to do with BT Retail.

Whilst your experience is not unknown on this forum and no doubt many forum members will relate to your problem if you have a complaint about the engineers you need to complain to your own ISP who in turn should complain to Openreach.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

This is a forum for BT Retail our ISP and is no different to your own ISP.  The problem you have had and described are with openreach and are not called BT engineer although many people still wrongly refer to the openreach engineer as BT. 

Openreach are still part of the overall  BT Group but deal with all ISP including your own and do not give preferential treatment to any ISP including our ISP BT Retail

your post does not go to BT nor does it go to openreach

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Mr-Spock
Message 4 of 9

.....and the reason I'm posting my experience is that my phone line is again faulty, the home phone would only ring once and stop, but now BT Engineers have been four times, dug up the path and now the phone doesn't work at all and the internet is very slow.  I was unable to find the fault myself this time though.  We have been told that someone from BT will come tomorrow to fill the hole.  Before BT got involved we had a phone that worked other than it 'tripped' after one ring, now we have no phone.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

As the posts above... complain to your provider. Only they can help you.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

just one correction to your post there is no such thing as a BT Engineer the Engineers are employed by Openreach and they work on behalf of all service providers of which BT is like your own provider any problem you have with your line is between you and your service provider not BT retail who operate this forum for their own phone and broadband customers
0 Ratings
Mr-Spock
Message 7 of 9

I have complained to my provider who passed on my complaint and the unprofessionalism remains.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

That depends on how your provider deals with Openreach unfortunately no one here can help you with your problem only your provider can help you
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

0 Ratings