Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 6

Application of CPI increase nearer 13% than 1.3%

Go to solution

I have telephone + broadband.  Each year I take advantage of the Line Rental saver and renew in good time.  Am I right to say that there should be no change in my Line Rental above and beyond what I have paid in full already for the year?

My broadband cost has gone up by more than 10%, in fact 14% without explanation.  It is an 18 month deal that was amended mid-stream just over 12 months ago when I was offered FTTC at the same price - "18 months starting on 18 Mar 2019"

The actual amounts involved are small.  I currently have an email offering me another 18 months if I sign up before Sep and I would normally ring to do this but not a good time I guess.  However if I was to underpay by 12% I'm sure BT would be onto me pretty quickly.

So am I right about the Line Rental saver being fixed at the price I've already paid and is there any explanation as to why my Broadband has gone up more than the CPI stated?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Application of CPI increase nearer 13% than 1.3%

Go to solution

if you go to MYBT and then your bills you should be able to compare bills before and after and identify where the difference has arisen

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

I know I can look at the Bills, that's how I know it is +14% and not +1.3% (CPI).  Thanks all the same.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Sorry but that was not the point it was to compare bills to find out where the increase in cost has arisen

or just phone 151 then billing and ask

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

I'm posting here first to get clarification/confirmation on what should be straight forward matters of fact.  If I pay 12 months Line Rental renewal, then renew within the time period, will there be any further effect on the Line Rental due to CPI - I don't think there should be but hopefully someone on here will know.

The reason to ask the question that way round is that there ends up being a month or two when I'm "overcharged" and then credited the Line Rental because it is monthly in advance.  But as I have no phone call charges the only thing I'm then left with when everything has settled is the monthly broadband cost.  So rather than try and work out daily Line rental costs at old rates, line rental costs at new rates which happens at the transition I wait until the bill after when all that is balanced out with the payments in full.

What is now left, the broadband cost is 14% up.  BT appear to be wanting to deter people calling at the moment so I don't want to waste there or my time if I've misunderstood something obvious.  I will however say that it is rare for a year to pass when everything fully reconciles and it won't be the first time their systems don't seem to be able cope with ... well, their systems!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

@old_emailwrote:

I have telephone + broadband.  Each year I take advantage of the Line Rental saver and renew in good time.  Am I right to say that there should be no change in my Line Rental above and beyond what I have paid in full already for the year?

Replying to my own post in case it helps anyone else - even though the Line Rental Saver was paid 12 months in advance that is NOT a fixed price and CPI is applied to it.  It may be implied but it is not explicit in anything I've read and I simply assume Paid up front - job done. 

I don't have a problem with CPI being applied just the lack of clarity.

0 Ratings