cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LadyLouisa
Contributor
Message 1 of 19

Appointment for Broadband installation not kept.

Hi, Order new Broadband 30th December 2019 with today, Tuesday 14th January between 1pm and 6pm as installation time.   Paid for an engineer and was told yesterday evening that all was set and to make sure I was in by SMS.

Now almost 7pm and nothing.  

This appears at the top of my BT page: 

Sorry for the delay

Your order is taking longer than expected. We're working on it and we'll be in touch if there are any changes to your order. Thanks for your patience.

Everything else confirms it will be today.    Please advice what I should do now.   Many thanks

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
albertj
Expert
Message 2 of 19

Re: Appointment for Broadband installation not kept.

Hi @LadyLouisa 

Sorry, it is very frustrating!

Do you know what service you ordered? An engineer visit to the home is definitely required?

You should get £25 automatic compensation if the appointment was missed.

Thanks

--
If I have helped you in anyway please press the Kudo button (thumbs up)
If I have resolved your post please click 'Mark as Accepted Solution'
0 Ratings
LadyLouisa
Contributor
Message 3 of 19

Hi, thank you for the reply, I had ordered a complete Broadband package with engineer installation - Paid extra £30.

My  BT page tells me there is a delay, but still expected today!!    Been that way since 6pm.    My appointment time is still 'confirmed' as between 1 and 6pm Tuesday 14th January 2020.

I have had no e-mails, mobile or home phone calls.

Internet is due to be turned off by current supplier any time within the next few hours so will lose landline as well as internet and Sky Q etc.

They know there is a problem but am shocked that I have heard nothing!

The compensation is all very well, but who do I actually contact now that they are presumably not bothered to inform me what is going on.   I am a disabled pensioner and need to know when they are coming so if they just turn up tomorrow I will not be able to get downstairs to let them in.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 19

Hi @LadyLouisa sorry that the engineer did not arrive yesterday to connect up your service and you were not made aware in advance. You would be best to call in and speak with the orders team and they will update you on what is happening. Post back and update us on how you get on.

thanks
John

0 Ratings
LadyLouisa
Contributor
Message 5 of 19

Well - words fail me...........

On My BT this morning, the yellow 'update' has gone and my Order Page is just stuck at "my order is on track" for completion on 14th January 2020.

So have telephone and it is beyond belief!!

Spoke with a lovely young man, Matthew, who was obviously very embarrassed by it all.   After, waiting on the 'phone while he checked, came back and had to check elsewhere, the outcome is - according to what he told me (or most likely was instructed to tell me) is that since I placed my order on 30th December 2019 nothing had gone forward - Outreach and BT were not in contact about my order, despite the updates online that suggested otherwise, with the result that...

1. Matthew will now have to 'personally' complain which will yield no results until at least Monday 20th January, it will then be a further 'few' days before the 'job' can be looked at to see what needs doing before they can then schedule yet another Engineers' appointment for installation, so at least another 2/3 WEEKS !!!!    

2. Matthew will 'refund' my £30 charge for Engineers' installation.

3. I will just sit and wait.

Having already paid my final invoice for my present provider, who incidentally state, in writing, that they have been contacted about retaining my present landline number and have 'released' it some time in first week of January,, so lies from BT who state this is not so? what do I do!!

I am a disabled pensioner and this is just so totally unacceptable, I do not know what I should, could, and will do, I have already, last evening, put in a formal complaint to BT who state allow 7 days for response.

I spent many hours in late December researching who to change to for this service, my present providers were just not able to 'raise their game' with continuing to have to re-set my router several times a day, so there is no choice there, and now I will have missed my chance with new year offers for Broadband.

Personally, I think BT have broken their Contract with me and I should be offered much more than a rebate of £30 for an Engineers' appointment!

Obviously nothing I can do, but warn others that in my case at least BT is totally NOT the service to 'swap to' or stay with.    I think my first port of call is Trading Standards or Office of Fair Trading?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 19

Hi @LadyLouisa thanks for the update and sorry that you were not able to get this fully resolved when you called. I've sent you a Private Message with details on how to contact the Mod team and we will be happy to see if there is anything we can do to move things along for you.

cheers
John

0 Ratings
LadyLouisa
Contributor
Message 7 of 19

Thank you, I will contact you when I finish this.

I have now had an SMS to say that my new appointment is on 29th January which I would never have accepted had the truth been told at the time I placed my order.

I have had to get someone in to move my television in the lounge so that it would be easier for the engineer to reach the 'phone point, so now I have no working TV and its' stuck in the middle of my lounge!!   I do not think these company's realise the problems they create with there attitudes to service, the credit for the engineers' visit is not a bonus, it is a right as they broke their Contract with me and did not turn up.   I have now managed to get my current provider to assist with continuing my access, but I felt a 'fool' going back to them!

If this is progress, then I fear for the future.......

0 Ratings
LadyLouisa
Contributor
Message 8 of 19

SMS x 2 identical - Have credited my account with £25, then another two identical SMS dated today,  sorry your appointment was missed your new date is 29th January 2020.

Not that I want pampering, but in 'the good old days' there would be personal visits, flowers, profuse apologies, explanations etc.   So progress is no explanation, 2 days after they broke their Contract, and 'like it or lump it' attitude.

This is just making me madder than hell.   have reported to Trading Standards, not interested in 'individual' cases, as are Ofcom

Also read that compensation is to be automatically paid at £5 for each day there is no service, so with BT's attitude they must be rolling in money, just like Flybe who has taken millions of pounds from Customers and in my opinion defrauded the passengers by not paying that money to the Government - what would happen if that were a 'normal' individual.

I also see online that BT are now offering the same 'contract' at nearly £10 less per month than they expect me to pay, with a £70 voucher as well!! unbelievable.

0 Ratings
LadyLouisa
Contributor
Message 9 of 19

Well, nothing much from BT other than a message from the very pleasant Matt, profusely apologising, and confirming I can absolutely rely on the engineer etc etc being her on 29th January in the morning.

Nothing from cancellations or complaints, and, as yet, no communication from BT as a mod on here promised, although there are a few hours to go for them! 

Are BT that sure of their business that they do not care an iota how they treat their future customers, if so, why would I ever feel safe paying them, to me, huge amounts of money for a service they cannot provide on time, it will be hell I expect once I am Contracted in, I get nothing for this bad performance, and have yet to pay them a penny, what on earth happens when you become 'contracted' .    Not a good start!! and probably end.

I am sure there are bt Execultives, somewhere on their private islands stick the proverbial two fingers up at me.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 19

The problem is that BT Retail, and most other providers, rely on Openreach to fulfill any network orders. BT Retail do not get any priority.

Sometimes Openreach encounter issues which were not expected, like problems with incorrect  routing records, faulty equipment, or an outstanding cease on the line.

Any reasons for delay are passed back to the Service Provider, who then inform their customer.

In your case, there must have been something unexpected which has caused your delay.

0 Ratings