Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Damien1
Aspiring Expert
Message 11 of 29

Re: Are 0300 Calls Free?

Go to solution
Are you sure you were not talking for more than an hour as then you would be charged
0 Ratings
Oliver341
Expert
Message 12 of 29

Go to solution

@dumayp wrote:

After finding charges on my bill for 0300 numbers, and chatting to a BT person, it seems that some 0300 numbers ARE chargeable, including calls to the inland revenue. So, if you dial a 0300 number, you have no idea if BT are going to make a charge or not. This can't be right surely?

The title of the thread is misleading. 03 calls are not free, but they are included in any inclusive minutes on your package, e.g. Anytime Calls. They "behave" just like 01 and 02 in this regard.

Oliver.
Patty-L
Recognised Expert
Message 13 of 29

Go to solution

@Oliver341 wrote:

@dumayp wrote:

After finding charges on my bill for 0300 numbers, and chatting to a BT person, it seems that some 0300 numbers ARE chargeable, including calls to the inland revenue. So, if you dial a 0300 number, you have no idea if BT are going to make a charge or not. This can't be right surely?

The title of the thread is misleading. 03 calls are not free, but they are included in any inclusive minutes on your package, e.g. Anytime Calls. They "behave" just like 01 and 02 in this regard.

Very true Oliver341  I am on anytime calls and have never been charged for 03 calls  and recently I contacted Inland revenue and was not charged..

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 29

Go to solution

AS per my previous post,

The calls are not free, they are charged at the same price as calling an 01 or 02 number. They are only fee if included in your call package. ie if you have unlimited/ anytime calls or if you have evening / weekend call it must be made within the "free time" of the package otherwise it will be charged.

"By law, when calling a 03 number from within the UK, the cost must be exactly the same as calling a geographic landline numbers (starting 01 and 02). This is different to the 08 numbers where this is not the case. The law also covers calling 03 numbers from a mobile phone. The law goes one step further and says that calls to 0300/03 numbers must be included as part of a customers “free minutes” package and any other call cost reduction packages. All UK telephone operators, including mobile phone and landline operators, all comply to this law".

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 15 of 29

Go to solution

@dumayp wrote:

There seems to be some confusion in this thread, probably because of the visual similarity between 0800 and 0300 numbers. 0800 numbers are always free whether or not a calling plan applies. 0300 numbers are never free though they won't be charged when a calling plan applies.

0300 numbers are explained here.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 16 of 29

Go to solution

Just as an afterthought, I blame Ofcom for the confusion. Calls to 0800 numbers are generally recognised as being free. So it must have been a real chump that decided to adopt a similar configuration for a non-geographical, chargeable code. The potential for confusion is obvious.

It's the same with 070 numbers, a favourite of the obnoxious business of providing high-cost numbers for calling hospital in-patients. I wonder how many people have been caught out thinking that a call to their sick loved one would be treated the same as one to a mobile.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Oliver341
Expert
Message 17 of 29

Re: 03 numbers are included in inclusive minutes

Go to solution

@pottyperson wrote:

Just as an afterthought, I blame Ofcom for the confusion. Calls to 0800 numbers are generally recognised as being free. So it must have been a real chump that decided to adopt a similar configuration for a non-geographical, chargeable code. The potential for confusion is obvious.

I disagree. This is not just 0300, it's an entire 03 range. 0300 just happens to be the start of it.

Oliver.
Oliver341
Expert
Message 18 of 29

Go to solution

So basically, if the title of the thread had been "are 03 numbers included in inclusive minutes?" the answer would be "yes" and that would be that. 🙂

Oliver.
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 19 of 29

Go to solution

Oliver341 wrote:

I disagree. This is not just 0300, it's an entire 03 range. 0300 just happens to be the start of it.

You're entitled to disagree if you like, but you've missed the point. Everyone knows there's a range of 03 numbers but the query is specifically about the 0300 code because of its similarity to 0800, which is free (and indeed to 0500, also free but being phased out).

--
Oliver341
Expert
Message 20 of 29

Go to solution

@pottyperson wrote:
You're entitled to disagree if you like, but you've missed the point. Everyone knows there's a range of 03 numbers but the query is specifically about the 0300 code because of its similarity to 0800, which is free (and indeed to 0500, also free but being phased out).

What about 0700 and 0900 then? Or 0200? Do you think they are equally confusing?

Oliver.