cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jaks101
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

At my wits end with Bt usage monitor

I keep getting emails stating I have gone over my broadband usage stating I'm using 100+gb in a month.

I know this is not the case as I have been logging into my homehub which tells a different story. It has been connected solid for 15 days and I have used around 5gb which is in line with what I expect for my usage.

I rang the tech help and they said I have used around 20gb around 20 days into the month but this has not been amended or corrected.

I have noticed since I have cancelled youview IP channels my usage has dropped dramatically and suspect this is e cause of massive usage.

Am I likely to get a missive bill at the end of the month it's making me worried.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 9

Re: At my wits end with Bt usage monitor

You may have been hit by a known problem with the usage monitor.  See here: http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44084/kw/youview%20usage/c/348,1155,6239

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 9

jaks101,

What Home Hub are you using ?

If you are using an HH 4 A it resets the upload and download data readings to 0 when they reach 4.3 GB. 

It alters each figure independantly and without resetting the connection time.

The HH 3 A is believed to also suffer from this problem.

0 Ratings
jaks101
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

I'm on a home hub 3
0 Ratings
A1944
Expert
Message 5 of 9

Don't believe the Home Hub figures because, as has been mentioned, they reset pretty randomly at times other than the start of month.  Since I started keeping an eye on mine (HH3A), it has never read higher than 5.7 GB and my average monthly usage is actually about 13GB.

The online monitor is, in my experience, a good reflection of the actual usage (except when it stops updating altogether!!).  I have been comparing it with a local information source for a year and it tallies very well.

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 9

@jaks101 wrote:
I'm on a home hub 3

Please confirm whether it is a 3 A or a 3 B as they are different and the 3 B does not have the reset problem.

You really need to monitor your usage on at least a daily basis and with this type of problem preferably more frequently than that.

Have a look at this thread for some background information particularly on how to monitor your usage, but note that this problem may not be the one you have.

A1944: Can you confirm that the HH 3 A resets randomly without reconnecting ?.  HH 4 A resets the value of data up or down independantly  to 0 when the value reaches 4.3 GB  consistently.  Nobody in the community appears to have measured what value the 3 A resets at and just say around 5 GB or as you have indicated randomly.  

0 Ratings
A1944
Expert
Message 7 of 9

@vofsanity2 wrote:

A1944: Can you confirm that the HH 3 A resets randomly without reconnecting ?.  HH 4 A resets the value of data up or down independantly  to 0 when the value reaches 4.3 GB  consistently.  Nobody in the community appears to have measured what value the 3 A resets at and just say around 5 GB or as you have indicated randomly.  

When I say randomly, I am including those (rare) occasions when a reconnection does takes place.  Without reconnection it does seem to be around 5GB.  Without reading it every few minutes it is difficult to be certain of an exact figure but I do have a record of a reading of 5.7 on 4 Jan which surprised me.

It is worth repeating that there is no correlation between the start of the month (when BT charging resets) and any reset to zero of the Home Hub.  Consequently, on the 1st of the month the hub may read anything between 0 and about 5GB. For example, my hub was 4.7 at 0815 on 31st Dec but by 1530 was showing 0.6.  The following morning (1st Jan) at 0930 it was already up to 1.2.

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 9

@vofsanity2 wrote:

@jaks101 wrote:
I'm on a home hub 3

Please confirm whether it is a 3 A or a 3 B as they are different and the 3 B does not have the reset problem.

You really need to monitor your usage on at least a daily basis and with this type of problem preferably more frequently than that.

Have a look at this thread for some background information particularly on how to monitor your usage, but note that this problem may not be the one you have.

Apologies, I forgot to include the link

https://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/Re-Broadband-usage-exceeding-monthly-limit/td-p/1134656

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 9

@A1944 wrote:

@vofsanity2 wrote:

When I say randomly, I am including those (rare) occasions when a reconnection does takes place.  Without reconnection it does seem to be around 5GB.  Without reading it every few minutes it is difficult to be certain of an exact figure but I do have a record of a reading of 5.7 on 4 Jan which surprised me.

It is worth repeating that there is no correlation between the start of the month (when BT charging resets) and any reset to zero of the Home Hub.  Consequently, on the 1st of the month the hub may read anything between 0 and about 5GB. For example, my hub was 4.7 at 0815 on 31st Dec but by 1530 was showing 0.6.  The following morning (1st Jan) at 0930 it was already up to 1.2.

A1944,

Thank you for the update. 

I agree that it is difficult getting the exact reset figure. I only got the 4.3 GB figure by spotting when it was close to that figure and then downloading a reasonable large file and regularly tapping refresh on the Home Hub  Internet Connection screen. It saves hanging around waiting for it to reset. 

0 Ratings