Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
surk8
Beginner
Message 1 of 17

B.T the grinch that stole christmas

Go to solution

Hi

Ordered BT Infinity & phone line/calls package on 30/11/2014, due for activation 23/12/2014. Phone activated ok but no broadband.

Rang customer services the day after who said somebody should have contacted me & promised a call back by the end of the day or 29/12/2014.

I did receive a phone call on 30/11/2014 from a lady who said Infinity was not avalable to me until 14/01/2015 & she would ring me then & process my order over the phone.

I have a number of issues with this.

1. I placed my order thru topcashback due to the £105 cashback offer & I assume I will receive a new VOL number thus cancelling my cashback.

2. The offer included a £100 Sainsbury vouher & if my order taken over the phone I suspect i will not be elligible for this also.

3. I am currently in my last year of university doing teacher training & a lot of my work is web based, this also affects my son's school work.

4. The Xbox & laptop that I saved all year to buy as Christmas gifts for my kids have thus far been rendered useless by the lack of an internet service.

I cannot see B.T getting my Infinity service activated anytime before February (or at least a month after the promised date) if B.T had bothered to let me know there was a problem, I could have stayed with my original ISP.

As such would like to know if I am within my rights to cancel the whole lot (inc phone line) & receive a refund on any money I have paid & without any financial penalty to myself.

Any help is much appreciated.

Kind regards.

Caroline & Jason

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: B.T the grinch that stole christmas

Go to solution
you will be charged cancellation charges for the remaining period of your contract
0 Ratings
frenchsirius
Contributor
Message 3 of 17

Go to solution

Firstly I am not a lawyer so any advice is based on experience in these matters and I will not be held responsible for any loses or damages based on you following this advice.

Your case is covered by contract law.

You have a contract with BT to provide BT infinity which they have not done.

You must give them a reasonable attempt to do so.

If after X number of attempts you are dissatisfied , write to them and inform them that if they fail to connect your BT infinity line by xxx of xxx you will hold them in breach of contract and will not be responsible for any further payments.

They will claim you will have to pay for the remaining term, refiuse and counter claim for lose or damages you have suffered. For example provision of alternative internet provision, stress, time spent in correspondance.  However if you took it to the Telecoms Ombudsmen you would win, so long as you have evidence.

Once you get a connection you are on much stickier ground as the service ,even if it is substandard is being provided.

I feel you will have to give them the final attempt that they have requested , then escalate the action. BT have a reputation for taking cases to the door of the court before caving in, so be warned it may be a tough fight.

0 Ratings
surk8
Beginner
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution

Many thanks John for taking time from your new years day to reply

I ordered the phone line & broadband as a package tho one is no good without the other. As Bt have not activated the broadband on the promised day & it looks like it will be 5-6 weeks after said date then surely they have not fulfilled their half of the contract? also I have a screenshot showing the topcashback & £100 Sainsbury voucher that I suspect they will try to wiggle out of by saying it is now a telephone order..

Is there a cooling off period or anything?

Kind regards

Caroline & Jason

0 Ratings
surk8
Beginner
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution
Thanks frenchsirius
The Sainsbury voucher & cashback are also of massive importance to me as money is very tight at the mo & this was part of the deal I signed up to

Kind regards

Caroline & Jason
0 Ratings
Highlighted
frenchsirius
Contributor
Message 6 of 17

Go to solution

They can't wiggle out of the Sainsbury Voucher if you go ahead with the offer, though that may need more complaining and persistence,.. not giving it to you is false advertising , you couldn't though in my view cancel your contract due to that.

Eventually they transfer you from customer service to customer care, stuff usually happens from that point in a beneficial way. Eventually if you moan enough you get a special case or similar reperesentative who are usually keen to sort things out.

You have the phone but that was an integral part of the package. Image if you signed up for dual fuel from say BG but they did n't supply the electiricty , but you had to use the gas to stay warm.  After a suitable time anyone would cancel the contract of both services ,as you don't have to be disadvantaged financially to find an electricity supplier.

You will be in for a tough fight if you cancel.  Both myself and another family member are battling it out with BT. One case involves the cost of the Black Friday deal + voucher. This one has been 50% won. In my case BT have failed to activate BB 8 times and I shall be speaking to them again tomorrow, using the term breach of contract repeatedly.

I understand money is tight, I trained as a teacher a long time back, fight for every penny you are owed. Don't back down but if neccessary do accept something which is financially the same. For example they may offer you £25 credit on your account + a 75 voucher...

Good luck

0 Ratings
surk8
Beginner
Message 7 of 17

Go to solution

Thank you frenchsirius

You have hit the nail bang on the head with the dual fuel comparison.

Really sorry to hear about all the trouble you've had with B.T.. 8 failed activations, makes mine look trivial.

Mine too was a Black Friday deal (from HUKD), the cynic in me wonders if it's a ploy to do us all out of cashback etc.

While the vouchers etc are of massive importance, the worse bit is saving all year to get the kids something decent at Christmas & them not being able to use it due to B.T not bothering to notify us that there was a problem. If we had known we would never have cancelled the sky package that we'd had for around 10 years.

The problem being the exchange was over capacity, something you'd think they would be aware of when they took my order.

Good luck for tomorrow & thanks once again for the advice.

Kind regards

Caroline & Jason

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 17

Go to solution
no cooling of after service goes live and as the phone part of the package is live it may be hard to cancel without financial loss you normally have to give BT 8 weeks before you can get a deadlock letter from BT which you can take to the ombudsman
surk8
Beginner
Message 9 of 17

Go to solution

Thanks John

Not what I was hoping for, seems very wrong that B.T can get away with this level of service, really wish i'd looked at the review sites & the sort of feedback thats posted everywhere on the internet about them.

Would B.T be liable for the cost of me getting a mobile data dongle thingy?

Kind regards

Caroline & Jason

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 17

Go to solution
most isps work in the same way you could phone sales and ask them if they would be able to help
0 Ratings