cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
peterviolin
Message 1 of 5

BROADBAND DATA USAGE

I updated my BT package on 10th January this year and was sold a Broadband package that had a 30 GB per month limit.  Since my total usage for the 6 month period July to December 2017amounted to 0.3 GB I considered I could cope with that.   According to BT my data usage in January (from about 17th January to the end of the month) leapt to over 60 GB and very worringly to over 90 GB in February.  Bearing in mind that BT charge £1.80 per GB over the limit.

I am convinced that somebody, or some people, are piggy-backing my Wi-Fi hub/ Broadband without my knowledge and consent and that I am picking up the tab.   BT refuse to accept this and maintain I am using this data - which I completely refute.  Also they promised a new modem on 5th March which has not yet arrived.

Is there a solution please?

Peter Hardcastle

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: BROADBAND DATA USAGE

Hi @peterviolin,

Welcome to the community forum. I can understand your concern at the unexplained increase in Broadband usage. I understand from your post that you changed your package on the 10th of January. What package were you on before this change?

In your post you said that the previous 6 month amounted to 0.3 GB of usage. That would be really low and would indicate that the connection is never used. Did you get any new devices over Christmas that could explain the extra usage?

If you like, I'll be able to take a look at the details of your complaint? You can send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile.

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 5

@peterviolinwrote:

I updated my BT package on 10th January this year and was sold a Broadband package that had a 30 GB per month limit.  Since my total usage for the 6 month period July to December 2017amounted to 0.3 GB I considered I could cope with that.   According to BT my data usage in January (from about 17th January to the end of the month) leapt to over 60 GB and very worringly to over 90 GB in February.  Bearing in mind that BT charge £1.80 per GB over the limit.

I am convinced that somebody, or some people, are piggy-backing my Wi-Fi hub/ Broadband without my knowledge and consent and that I am picking up the tab.   BT refuse to accept this and maintain I am using this data - which I completely refute.  Also they promised a new modem on 5th March which has not yet arrived.

Is there a solution please?

Peter Hardcastle

Hi.

Can you confirm how you were given information regarding the .3GB usage from July to December? That effectively equates to 50MB per month, or really only looking at the bt.com home page once a day at most - even then that page is larger that than (about 2.5MB when I looked just now).

Do you use p2p stuff at all? Don't forget, uploads count as well as downloads. Do you use catch up tv or other similar services like netflix?

Can you say how you use your connection, what sort of devices you use, whether you use cloud storage etc?

What is unlikely is someone piggybacking your broadband.

peterviolin
Message 4 of 5

Hi

The level of usage came from the BT dashboard information on a page "usage" which gave an amount of download and uploads for each month.   Does this make sense?

Peter

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 5

@peterviolinwrote:

Hi

The level of usage came from the BT dashboard information on a page "usage" which gave an amount of download and uploads for each month.   Does this make sense?

Peter

Makes sense, yes. Of course, if it really said you had used 0.3GB from July to December, then it sounds completely wrong - unless you were only using wifi connected to a neighbour, even using BTWifi (fon) - or if using a mobile device only, using 3/4G data.

Does the usage page still show the past few months usage? If so, can you take a screen grab and send me a private message attaching the picture. To send a PM, click on my name/Profile/Message button

0 Ratings