cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
candy117
Message 1 of 4

BT ASKING FOR 0NE-OFF CHARGE AS I AM MOVING HOME

Hi,BT are asking me to pay a one-off charge of £130:00 because i will be moving home very soon,I am unsure if there is a bt line in my new house but there is a Virgin router that the old tenants must have left behind,I have told bt this and it is an old building so i am sure that at some stage the house has had a bt line installed..When i started the moving home procedure on the my bt page after i entered all the details it was saying that i will be charged this fee for an engineer to call out to my new home which is something that i was not expecting..Please help as i now feel that i want to move to a different provider for my internet service as i think BT should at least come out to my new home to check first if there is a line installed before charging this one-off fee,it doesn't seem fair or very good for business,Thanks also i am new to this forum....

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: BT ASKING FOR 0NE-OFF CHARGE AS I AM MOVING HOME

The old line would have been disconnected at the DP, exchange and cabinet a long time ago, and the route would have been used for another customer.

BT do not provide the external network. This is done by Openreach who work for all service providers.

Openreach charge all Service Providers, including BT, to provide a new route. The Service Provider will either pass this charge to their customer, or absorb the cost by asking the customer to enter into  an 18  month contract.

You may be able to reduce the charge by agreeing to a longer contract.

If the previous owner was a BT customer, then you can sometimes take over an existing working line.

0 Ratings
candy117
Message 3 of 4

Hi,Thanks for quick reply but does this mean that because there is a virgin router in the house that i would be able to connect to them without having to pay for a new line or i'm i missing something,not very tech minded i'm affraid,Candy117.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

Virgin use their own cable network, not an Openreach line. Their router is a special cable router which does not work on BT Broadband, and only connects to the Virgin cable network.

0 Ratings