Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jokemp69
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

BT Account Name Problem

Hi,

In October 1995 I bought my house off my mum and dad, and along with my Dad (who the account name was under), we both contacted BT to change the account name over to my name, which I believe involved the account being set up in my name with my direct debit details etc, bills of which I have been paying for 19 years.

After this was done, I was still (and am still) getting correspondance addressed to my dad from BT, along with some addressed to me. I contacted BT on a number of occassions, over the years, saying that the account had been changed to my name.

I finally got bored with continuly contacting BT, the bills were being paid, and I knew I had set up the account in my name. As I have had paperless billing for a number of years and have been paying the bill for 19 years I just thought it was an admin error with still getting stuff addressed to my dad.

But now, after contacting BT re fibre optics broadband, they asked to speak to the account holder which they still have as Mr E Kemp!!!! My dad.

Also I have just logged into My BT account, which I haven’t done for a long time, and downloaded a recent pdf of a bill which indeed still has my dads name on!?!?!

As it has been so long, I do not hold any of the BT letters I received re the account in my name, and I am not sure where I stand on this matter.

Can anyone advise me, I know I should have been persistant with resolving this years ago.

thanks

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT Account Name Problem

Welcome to the forum. A moderator should be along shortly to look into this for you.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

You cannot change the name on an account, the account has to be closed, and a new order placed.

I expect that one of the mods will also tell you this, but may be able to help with the closing and re-opening of the accounts.

0 Ratings
jokemp69
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

I believe that is what we did, the account was closed in my dad’s name and opened in mine? I am I paid some sort of fee at the time too... it is such a long time ago this happened, and I know I rang BT to say the name was still wrong, only thinking because of us both having the same surname???

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

Best thing is to wait until a moderator picks this up.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Hi jokemp69,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community forum.

I'm sorry for the problems you're having.  I'm happy to help you get things sorted from here.  Click on my username and under the "about me" section you'll see the link to get in touch with us.

Please include the link to this thread when you complete the form and whenever we've received your details we'll take it from there.

Thanks a million,

Robbie

0 Ratings