cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
weemax
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

BT Basic & upgrading to unlimited internet.

Go to solution

I currently pay £29.85 every 3 months for my landline and 15GB (per month) of broadband.

This morning I phoned BT to upgrade my 15GB usage broadband on my BT Basic package to unlimited broadband. I vaguely recall being offered the unlimted brodband on this package for an additional  £17 (approx) a few years back when I moved to BT basic. I refused at the time as I am not a heavy user, however I now use the internet more frequently and thought it a good idea to go unlimited.

So, I was told this morning after being placed on hold for a while that because I have the BT Basic broadband package, they can only offer me unlimted broadband (on a special offer for existing customers at the moment) for £29.99. The lady also tried to sell me infinity.

I didn't realise it would be that expensive & declined.

Does that seem correct to anyone in the know?

Thanks all.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT Basic & upgrading to unlimited internet.

Go to solution

Hi @weemax

Thanks for your post and welcome back!

I had a word with a member of our BT Basic team on your behalf.  They've re-confirmed what you were told.  The package you have at the moment is BT Basic with broadband which has the usage cap.

If you wanted to upgrade to an unlimited broadband option you'd need to regrade to one of the normal broadband options.  This is the same for copper and fibre.

Hope that answers your question?

Cheers,

Robbie

Community ModeratorRobbieMac
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
weemax
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Not what I wanted to hear, but thank you very much for doing that Robbie. That is very helpful & appreciated. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

@weemax wrote:

Not what I wanted to hear, but thank you very much for doing that Robbie. That is very helpful & appreciated. 

@weemax You're welcome. Enjoy your weekend :smileyhappy:

Community ModeratorRobbieMac
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
sjc1301
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Hi BT

Are there any changes to this?  I manage my mums account on her behalf and she would love to get online but is fearful of the cost and therefore refuses to use the service, the 15GB would probably be enough but cannot see for the life of me why BT have to cap this for people who probably spend more time at home than many others in the community.  

Surely this has/must change?

Steve C

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Why would it change, it is there to allow basic limited Internet usage.

As you can see it is still the same.

https://btplc.com/inclusion/ProductsAndServices/BTBasic/BTBasicBroadband/index.htm

0 Ratings
-Richie-
Expert
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

@sjc1301wrote:

Hi BT

Are there any changes to this?  I manage my mums account on her behalf and she would love to get online but is fearful of the cost and therefore refuses to use the service, the 15GB would probably be enough but cannot see for the life of me why BT have to cap this for people who probably spend more time at home than many others in the community.  

Surely this has/must change?

Steve C

It's designed so job seekers can browse for jobs, so people can communicate by email or do some online shopping if housebound.

The call allowance means vulnerable people or job seekers can contact the outside world, without fear of incurring huge bills.

It's not for watching Netflix or other heavy bandwidth services.

0 Ratings