cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StuntHamstah
Regular
Message 1 of 5

BT Broadband Renewal

So the time has come to renew my BT broadband package, after having a quick browse online I stumbled across the offer for Broadband + BT Sport with an Xbox One X thrown in for good measure!

I did think it seemed a little too good to be true and after a very quick phone call (The gentleman on the phone did try to keep me on hold for rather longer than he needed too, maybe he finished at 9pm and was hoping I would be his last call of the day*) it was confirmed to me that this offer was in fact for new customers only.

No worries I thought to myself, I have already got an Xbox One so it’s not a deal breaker. I asked the gentleman on the phone what kind of deals I could get for renewing my broadband contract, after another quick press of the hold button and he popped off to have a look for me (I can’t complain too much about the wait this time, it was just long enough for me to make a coffee).

When he returned he started by telling me very proudly that he was able to offer me an upgrade of what I currently get for the very reasonable price of an extra £10 per month, and when I say an upgrade what I mean is the exact same package that I currently pay for with the exact same upload and download speeds but with the added bonus of that I get to pay £10 more a month for the privilege.

Now as you can imagine, I was so shocked at what I was hearing that I choked on my coffee in the most undignified way imaginable, my dog was so scared she jumped around 5ft off the floor, my wife rushed to my aide and began administering the heimlich manoeuvre and all the while I’m there with a shocked expression painted on my face with the remnants of a freshly brewed coffee dripping down my fresh, white T-shirt.

Now you must be reading this thinking how could this possibly get worse but I can assure you it does. I politely asked the gentleman whether there would be any termination fees for cancelling my broadband services with yourself there was some mention of a £16 cancellation fee but, I can deal with that, however that wasn’t the end of it.

Oh no, you see in my naivety believing that BT like to look after existing customers and offer out of this world deals, I made the mistake of moving 3 mobile phone lines to BT mobile last year, 2 phone contracts and a SIM only for myself. I could keep going but we all know where I am heading, yep, if I do indeed cancel my broadband and move to a provider who can offer me better speeds at cheaper prices I then have to pay you an extra £15 per month.

So to summarise I can either spend an extra £10 per month for the exact same BT broadband package BUT on a new 18 month contract OR I can spend move providers, pay less than I currently do for broadband BUT still give BT an extra £15 per month for the privilege.

I don’t hold out much hope than anyone at BT can do anything about this, much like my wife isn’t holding out much hope that I will be able to fully get the coffee stains out of the carpet.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT Broadband Renewal

Can you re format the wall of text that you have posted. It makes it difficult to read to the point that I gave up trying after a few lines.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 3 of 5

Did the guy you spoke to mention discounts and is there any mention of discounts on your current bills?

Discounts are common practice with BT and could maybe make it worthwhile even though, on the face of it, it doesn't sound brilliant. 

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

If your contract isn't due for renewal shortly then phone the option should team on 0800800030 and see how get on.  You are not forced to accept and could just wait couple days and try again and get a different employee

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

Prior to doing this make out a short list of what you want and what the other providers will offer. Then as has been said phone 0800.800.030 and ask for the retention department. 

Explain that you are thinking of leaving BT because of the other providers offers and because of the poor offer that BT have made to keep you as a customer and is there anything that the retention department can do to keep you a BT customer.

They will make you some offer and it is up to you whether or not you accept it but I would say don't take the first offer try and knock them down to what you want. You may not get the same as a new customer but you should get close to it or at least be able to renew on the same terms as you have.

0 Ratings