cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Guru
Message 541 of 586

Re: BT Broadband Usage Incorrect?

@HHGTTG wrote:

Rather repetitively, I urge people to download Networx (or similar) on their computer, which will then monitor your usages.

Can't really understand people's reticence on this matter.

It's here.  http://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/

Hi.

That's fine for a PC, but needs to go on them all. It is, however, no use when other devices like xbox, tablets,smartphones or tv are connected.

0 Ratings
theriddlerz
Contributor
Message 542 of 586

andy rember that if u are watching a game online there are an average of 500 to a 1.000 people sharing the same viewing screen on web like sports tv company's so that wood mean in what u side (can eat up 1GB per hour. Howevr this would also show in Networx, assuming that Networx is recording all of the usage.) so this is more like a 101 ratio witch wood be more like 1mb or in bt eye 1kbps becuase u watching this less than half of narrow band speeds to be excated prob even less with means that even low narrow band had alot to catch up on when ever 1 was useing it it cood drop connection but bb pushes it throw better so theres prob not that much loss in there and alot more saving in data useage so there really is a problem so we cood say that bt has (this isnt fully what im saying but more of whats probly happing still when not ment to be ) 5 costomers to 1 line ) witch again cood me or what with bt wifi ( becuase wifi speeds are lot faster that direct line users )
0 Ratings
Highlighted
theriddlerz
Contributor
Message 543 of 586

yes but p2p is more again like i said to andy back to 101 ratio per person so it shoodnt be really
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 544 of 586

@theriddlerz wrote:
andy rember that if u are watching a game online there are an average of 500 to a 1.000 people sharing the same viewing screen on web like sports tv company's so that wood mean in what u side (can eat up 1GB per hour. Howevr this would also show in Networx, assuming that Networx is recording all of the usage.) so this is more like a 101 ratio witch wood be more like 1mb or in bt eye 1kbps becuase u watching this less than half of narrow band speeds to be excated prob even less with means that even low narrow band had alot to catch up on when ever 1 was useing it it cood drop connection but bb pushes it throw better so theres prob not that much loss in there and alot more saving in data useage so there really is a problem so we cood say that bt has (this isnt fully what im saying but more of whats probly happing still when not ment to be ) 5 costomers to 1 line ) witch again cood me or what with bt wifi ( becuase wifi speeds are lot faster that direct line users )

Sorry, I found it tricky to understand what you're saying. But networx will not show any usage if using an xbox to watch a film or play a game. Networx is a pc program, it does not run on an xbox.

What are you referring to with regard 500 to 1000 sharing the same screen ? This is not a pub with one connection with everyone looking at it, it is a single user who will be eating up usage.

0 Ratings
bootjangler
Contributor
Message 545 of 586

@theriddlerz wrote:

What on earth does all that mean?

I can understand "Cood" for "Could", but why do that anyway? Plus other things.

Unintelligable.

0 Ratings
allysor
Aspiring Contributor
Message 546 of 586

Hi,

Great Question!

BT can't even answer this question.

The Community Board is full of similar complaints and with the regular unavailability of the BT Broadband Usage Meter it clear that BT is experiencing problems with this easy to provide on-line real-time facility

Complain to the BT Help Desk if unsatisfied do what I DID and write to OFTEL and complain!

If still unsatisfied then change your telecom services provider, however be warned when changing Telco services provider you will in many cases still be using BT infrastructure and carriers.Smiley Frustrated

Robin J Allison CEng, FBCS, CITP, MIEEE, ITU, CITT
MrCravat
Contributor
Message 547 of 586

You hit the nail on the head in the last line and that's what I will be doing.

The "usage" monitor was over 72 hours behind this week  and when I did get an update a day was missing!...how are we supposed to keep track of usage.?

I've recently dumped an overseas telecom supplier for my landline after 13 years and decided to move on after getting no answer for over 10 mins on several occasions when I wanted to top up my account..when you settle for 2nd best then that's what you get.

In this day and age most ISP offer "unlimited" usage and it's a choice I will be making,especially as most are offering like Bt up to six months free.

Signing up to Bt was a  huge mistake after 1 month I found and Customer Service in the outsorced sub continent is attracious..

fosh90
Aspiring Contributor
Message 548 of 586

I too have been having problems with BT claiiming I have downloaded impossibly large amounts of data. 

We are on the 40 Gb capped usage.

The overcharge began in November 2012. We have been charged £30 excess in November and December and probably £15 January. 

I downloaded a number of large patches in the first few days of January, which took our usage for the month to about 21 Gb. I reckoned that 19 Gb would be more than enough for the remainder of the month, given no patch downloads, and no YouTube and suchlike. I installed NetBalancer and ShaPlus in mid-January, and since then have monitored every day. NetBalancer says I downloaded 3.7 Gb and uploaded 246 Mb until the end of the month.

However, the  BT usage mnonitor has been consistently way above this level of usage, and we ended up over 50 Gb for the calendar month.

I have already been in detailed and very helpful correspondence with LoveFilm, which certainly contributed in large part to our second £30 fine, and about which I can have no practical complaints. However, the previous month's £30 cannot have been attributable to LoveFilm, and January's and this month's events certainly not. 

Yesterday I found >this< thread and was astonished to find that this problem is widespread. 55 pages no less. So I installed NetWorx, which seems to record vastly more activity than NetBalancer (does anyone please know why, and what the difference is?) but does not record which applications  are responsible.

Last night I was busy on the PC between ca. 8pm and 2.30 am or so. This included browsing official statistical sites and viewing perhaps a dozen Flash animated graphics. Now I'm a Flash programmer for such an organisation, and I know that (for performance reasons) these aren't usually more than a couple of megabytes each. 

Imagine my shock when I read in NetWorx that my single session is supposed to have downoloaded over 20 Gb. Imagine further my shock when my 11-y-o daughter is supposed to have downloaded a further 11Gb between 6pm and 8pm today. I happen to know that she was on for 1 hr 59 m, and the only thing she downloaded was iTunes. The PC was off for most of rest of that period. So the 11 Gb recorded by NetWork for her session today is monumentally wrong. Supposedly, our combined usage since 8pm yesterday until now isd 36.7Gb DL and 2.6 UL. This is quite simply insane. 

BT's usage monitor currently stands at 7.31 Gb (for >four< days (netBalancer believes 4 Gb for 5 days) , but this does not include any activity for today. 

I changed the router's wireless key, admin password, access control and came out of BT-FON last month when I began getting concerned that someone might be piggy-backing. So it appears not to be that. 

So in essence, our BT connection appears to be vastly busier than would be suggested by our own activity.

Have I overlooked anything? 

Thanks for your thoughts.

0 Ratings
bootjangler
Contributor
Message 549 of 586

You seem to have covered almost all that has been discussed.

Would it be at all possible to not use the internet for one day (midnight to midnight)

and then compare all of your monitors alongside what the BT monitor says?

That's the only test I can think of as a start. Difficult to do, but perhaps a long day out.....

0 Ratings
fosh90
Aspiring Contributor
Message 550 of 586

Yes, that would be a good idea. I need to get the whole family on-side for that. Cheers.

0 Ratings