cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RL19831983
Message 1 of 6

BT Cooling Off Period vs Go Live Date

Go to solution

Hi, I wondered if someone could clarify the cooling off period. From the posts I have read the 14 days starts when the service started (which in my case was 18th January).

When I signed up (over the phone), I was only told about the 33 speed package but it’s come to my attention that I can get the faster speed 66+. I found a cheaper deal with competitor, but if I placed the order it wouldn’t be until 6th Feb onwards that the service would ‘go live’.

Does this mean I would have to pay termination fee to BT as ‘go live’ date for new service is outside the 14 day cooling off period (1st Feb) or is does it work that so long as the new provider has informed BT I want to leave within the 14 days – then I wont be charged no matter when the ‘go live’ date is?

Thanks in advance for any help

R

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT Cooling Off Period vs Go Live Date

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum.

Based on what you have said, you would have to pay a very large cancellation fee plus the cost of any supplied equipment like the home hub.

As soon as you place your order with another provider, you will get a message from BT saying they are sorry you are leaving etc plus a note about how much you have to pay.

You can of course upgrade your existing package to the full speed, provided your line will actually support it.

In order to find out what services and speed range you should be getting, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

0 Ratings
RL19831983
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

But why would I have to pay ' a very large cancellation fee plus the cost of any supplied equipment like the home hub.' if i'm within my 14 day cooling off period ? 

Whats the point of the 14 day cooling off period if you cant change mind and return Home Hub?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

I don`t think the "within 14 days" applies in this case, but you may like to see what others have to say. I think its intended for people who are out of contract, and want to move provider.

You would also lose your connection in the fibre cabinet, and if the cabinet is full, they you would be put on a waiting list.

If you are determined to cancel, then I suggest you do it as soon as possible.

There will be a minimum of 10 days,  before service could be provided with a new provider.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

here are recent T&C  para 5    https://www.bt.com/products/static/terms/post3rdjuly2016voiceandbroadband.html

I would check using link from @Keith_Beddoe that there is no waiting list and if not cancel asap and avoid any possible cancellation charges

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
-Richie-
Expert
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

To avoid charges you'll need to call BT and cancel fully, then place your new order.
Otherwise a transfer takes 10 working days, by the time you left BT you'd be outside your 14 days.

Have you asked BT what it would cost to upgrade to faster speeds ? might be an easier route.

0 Ratings