cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Brian1970
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

BT Disconnected Me

Hello, We were due to move house in December which slipped to January. Before Christmas though the move fell through. I cancelled the request I had raised for our new property (new build, and requested through the developer I could do this.) On January 8th, our internet and landline ceased to work. It is still down. It transpires that the person buying our property requested to cancel the BT services to my address as they were using a different provider. We hadn't exchanged yet and they didn't ask permission. He didn't cancel this request and so BT cut us off on the above date. Having been forced to raise a new request instead of being reconnected, we are still waiting for Openreach to commit the request and for BT to confirm the date we will be reconnected. I have been sent a 4G dongle but our signal is so poor only 2 of us can use it at one time (3 in the house trying to work.) Therefore, I am using the hotspot on my work phone which continuously drops out. None of us can do our jobs properly and we have been in this situation for two weeks. After chasing each day, I was finally told on Thursday 21st that we would be connected back up on Monday Jan 25th. Today, that has been cancelled and told Openreach have still NOT committed the request and no date can be provided for our reconnection. I keep being told this is not acceptable and BT are very sorry. I don't care about apologies, I just want to be reconnected. This has happened because BT acted on behalf of someone who doesn't live or own this property! That in itself should demand they fix the issue. This quality of service is shocking and when I requested we are reconnected on Monday, the answer "Absolutely no chance". Brilliant. Well done. 

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: BT Disconnected Me

when any ISP receives a request to take over a working it is a requirement that a letter is sent to the existing line owner at the address advising that the request has been received and you have 2 weeks to advise the ISP if this is incorrect which then stop the takeover  however if no reply then the take over will go ahead.  BT just followed the regulations   Did you not receive a letter to your home advising disconnection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Brian1970
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

I am aware they are supposed to write and contact me. However, I didn't receive any letter notification. I only received an email once I had logged the fact we had been cut off. BT are aware of this and failed in every way possible but still haven't expedited my request.

0 Ratings
-Richie-
Guru
Message 4 of 4

@Brian1970wrote:

BT are aware of this and failed in every way possible but still haven't expedited my request.

You can't expedite a working line takeover, if the other persons service went live, the takeover has to follow the gaining provider led process.
You could ask for a PBIS (Priority Back In Service) request, the PBIS team will ask Openreach to contact the losing provider and ask them to cease early, if the losing provider agree then your service will be restored sooner.

0 Ratings