Aspiring Contributor
kyberia
Accepted Solution

BT Disconnected Phone; Demanding Payment of Broadband Bill. I get Orange Broadband.

On the 7th of October, my broadband provider stopped being BT and became Orange. My BT line stopped working on that date and my Orange line started working.

I still got my phone from BT.

In November, I received a bill including a £70 advance charge for the next quarter's broadband from BT.

I contacted their Customer Support phone line and was told that I was lying about my line having been ceased, that the line was still active and while I was on record as having requested a MAC, there was no record of Orange having asked to take over the line.

I called Orange, and they pointed out that they get their line from BT: They cannot give me a line unless they get it from BT. Everything, they said, was logged on BT's system. 

I called BT's Customer Service team back with this information, and was again told I was lying. They said that a request had been made to take over the line on the 3rd Nov (this was the date that Orange applied to take over my PHONE line), but claimed they were still providing my broadband. I pointed out that I could not connect to broadband using my BT router and password and had not been able to since the 7th of October. I could, however, connect with my Orange router and password and had been able to do so since the 7th October. I informed BT point blank that I would not pay a bill for an item that was a) several years out of contract, b) I had never consented to a renewal of contract on, c) WAS NOT RECEIVING and d) was not their customer for.

I ranted about this on Twitter and was contacted by a BT Live Help agent named Clare. I talked to her on 29/11 and she removed the charges from the 07/10 to 03/11 and extended the due date of the bill to January, when the advance charge for the broadband would be refunded - thus, I would not have to pay for a service I am not receiving.

I received an email confirming the above on 01/12.

On 12/12 BT cut off my phone. The diversion on the phone line will not allow me to talk to an agent at BT. It will only allow me to pay my bill or go die in a fire, basically. 

On 13/12 I mailed the reply address on that email asking what was happening and for my phone to be reconnected. 

On 14/12 I received a message promising contact within 24 hours.

It's now the 15th. I suffer from very severe depression and anxiety - I'm classed as a high suicide risk. Stress, frustration and circular conversations are very likely to provoke hysteria and extremely suicidal responses and there's very little I can do to stop it. Without my phone I am trapped alone in my house and cannot reach anyone for help.

I cannot contact anyone at BT to find out why this is happening or get it fixed. I have tried email, twittered to customer care, tried to phone more than 30 times only to be diverted to an automated bill paying line that does not allow for human contact. 

If anyone from BT sees this, please can you contact me URGENTLY? Otherwise chances are I'm going to end up having a hysterical fit and end up dead, which I'd prefer to avoid. By computer will be best as my phone handset is low on batteries from trying to call you. I'll be watching this page, my email and twitter.

Bonnie

P.S. The reason I had a nervous breakdown in the first place? Dealing with BT.

DavidM

Re: BT Disconnected Phone; Demanding Payment of Broadband Bill. I get Orange Broadband.

Hi Kyberia,

I'm looking into this now and I'l call you in an hour.

Cheers

David

BTCare Community Mod

If we have asked you to email us with your details, please make sure you are logged in to the forum, otherwise you will not be able to see our ‘Contact Us’ link within our profiles.

We are sorry but we are unable to deal with service/account queries via the private message(PM) function so please don't PM your account info, we need to deal with this via our email account :-)

DavidM

Re: BT Disconnected Phone; Demanding Payment of Broadband Bill. I get Orange Broadband.

Hi Kyberia,

Thanks for taking my call today. I'm glad it's all sorted. You know where we are if you need anything else.

Cheers

David

BTCare Community Mod

If we have asked you to email us with your details, please make sure you are logged in to the forum, otherwise you will not be able to see our ‘Contact Us’ link within our profiles.

We are sorry but we are unable to deal with service/account queries via the private message(PM) function so please don't PM your account info, we need to deal with this via our email account :-)

Aspiring Contributor
kyberia

[ Edited ]

In a moment of truly awe-inspiring brilliance, I just got a call from your Collections department harrassing me about this bill. 

I am really, toweringly furious.

I would strongly suggest that you get some kind of unified communication going there and use it to make it very clear that 1) the bill is incorrect, 2) it's not due until January, 3) I only need to hear from one person, once.

Personally, I'm also starting to think you should just write off the whole bill and hand over management of my phone and phone line to Orange before this gets screwed up again. Believe me, you have caused me far more than some poxy £40 in damage over the years, considering:

1. It took 6 months to install the line, but you billed me anyway,

2. Your help desk told me I couldn't get broadband at this address (BT Broadband was active here when the old owners moved out).

3. Your help desk told me that data physically cannot be transmitted over optical fibre, which they claimed was the only means of delivery to my home. 

4. I was promised a 512k line, for which I paid the same as a 20MB line.

5. I got a line that was, at best, 100k, and typically 10k.

6. Whenever there was a line fault, at least three help desk operatives would deny there was a line fault and say the issue was at my end. Whenever I spoke to a manager, they concurred it was a line fault. This happened at least 6 times, which I have documented.

7. We were told our exchange was being upgraded to digital in December 2010. It has still not been upgraded.

8. An employee on your help desk wanted to be my friend and called me every day for two weeks to see how I was. 

9. I have asked at least once a year for the last 6 years to be put on monthly billing and am still on quarterly.

10. On at least 3 occassions, I was unable to use broadband at all for over a week due to being "Accidentally disconnected."

11. And now this mess.

I have no idea if it's possible to take out a restraining order against a whole company but believe me, in the New Year, I will find out.

Community Manager
StephanieG

Hi kyberia,

David has been in contact today to get this sorted so get back in touch if there's anything else we can look into for you.

All the best,

Stephanie
BTCare Community Manager

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Aspiring Contributor
kyberia

Hopefully this is all sorted out now, but given how things have been, I'll give it a day or so before I mark it as an accepted solution.

Aspiring Contributor
kyberia

[ Edited ]

Guess which department just phoned me to ask for the outstanding balance on this bill? Yes, that's right, Collections again!

This time I was fairly calm as my doctor gave me sedatives after yesterday. After answering the phone with the words, "You'd better not be from BT," I told him to go read the notes David put on the file and gently hung up.

It seems word hasn't quite got around. If there is anything you can do to make them leave me alone until the bill is due, I'd really appreciate it. 

StuartH

Hi Kyberia

Sorry you received another call.

I have added some more notes to your account to advise that we are dealing with this and for no calls to be made to you requesting payment.

If and I mean if they call again tell them to check the open service request on your account from Stuart stating that BT Care are dealing with you directly and to stop making these calls.

Thanks

Stuart

BTCare Community Mod

We are sorry that we are unable to deal with service/account queries via the private message(PM) function so please don't PM your account info, we need to deal with this via our email account :-)
Aspiring Contributor
kyberia

Just got another call from a very insistent man in Collections at what was probably the worst possible time. I told him to go read the notes on my file - apparently they don't look at these BEFORE they call.
Aspiring Contributor
kyberia

Hello again gentlemen!

The saga of my ridiculous bill continues. With the advent of 17/01/2012, I logged into bt.com and checked on my bill. It was still wrong, and set, apparently, to be charged on 17/04, instead of 17/01. But as the bill had not yet been changed to show the correct sum, I decided to wait.

While I was waiting, the due date on my bill was reset to January, which was at last correct... but no-one mentioned it. Then they cut off my phone again.

The bill is now for £190.87, which is hugely incorrect.

To begin, the previous bill, the one where this all started, was for £140.29. Removing that charge of £70.80 for broadband in advance, as I get it from another company, that means the total payable carried into this bill should be £69.49, not £119.34 as listed.

Then, I am charged £7.50 for late payment, when BT refused to correct my bill so I could pay it. I am not paying this as it is entirely BT's fault.

Then, I am charged £12 for restoring my connection after BT cut it off when I refused to pay in advance for a service I wasn't receiving. Also not paying this and I have to ask, is someone taking the **bleep**?

There is a refund for the advance payment for my broadband included in this bill, but it's only for £51.77 and yet the amont debited for the advance payment for broadband in the previous bill was £70.80

Then I get billed a £30 for cancelling my broadband, when BT's cessation charge policy states clearly that this charge is not payable if you transfer to a new supplier with a MAC address, which is what I did in the first place.

So, the bill should be £69.49 for the previous bill, plus £49.06 line rental and calling plans, plus £24.74 for phone calls, making a total of £143.29.

Please can you arrange for a correct bill to be issued by the 17/02/2012, my phone to be reconnected by 12:00 today and a written, grovelling apology from somebody senior for having such godawful communication policies in their company that this got screwed up yet again.