Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shamaronald
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

BT Engineer Call Out charge

Hi Team

I have been charged £130 for Engineers visit, done in the month of Feb 2012. The problem started in December last year when our phone line went dead whenever the weather is bad (Strong Wind). I spoke to advisor and he confirmed that phone line is dead and advised that this will be fixed in 2-3 days and is been fixed but again after few days the line went bad but I did not take much care about this but I noticed that this keep happening whenever there is a strong wind . Between this time again called Technical team and again advisor raised a call for me and assured that this time this will be fixed permanently and I did advise advisor that now its been keep happening whenever there is a strong wind. Again line is been fixed and worked for few days but went dead when there is strong wind.

After few days I called the Technical team as my line was dead again, I think it was 17th or 18th Feb 2012 and explained the advisor that this is an issue because of strong wind and advised that big pole outside the property from where the black cable come to property is surrounded by tree branches and most likely the reason for this issue but he advised that it might be fault in your property. I insisted that 2-3 meter white cable and the BT socket are both secure and there is nothing wrong in the property and in fact I opened the BT socket as per his directions and advisor confirmed  that line is faulty but he insist for a engineer’s visit which I never wanted at first place. Further advisor assured me that if engineer did not find any faults in your property than you won’t be charged for this.

When engineer visited our property he did not find any faults in our property and he only spend 10 – 20 min. and checked the BT socket in our house and confirmed that there is no fault inside the house. Here I want to confirm that in my house I have only one socket and that too has been installed by BT and white cable is only 2-3 meter long and both BT socket and cable are secure and safe and I have no pets and kids so there is no chance of any tempering with these.  I did advise him that it is an issue whenever there is a strong wind and that day weather wasn’t windy and advised him that this not an issue inside the property and also advised engineer about the black cable from pole but he said that in that case he can’t do much about this and he left and also advised that you will be charged for this but I said to him that advisor has assured me that I won’t be get charged  for this as you did not find any faults in our property but engineer again insisted that I don’t know about this but you’ll be charged for this.

Immediately after this conversation with engineer I spoke to another advisor on Technical fault team and gave her all the information about this issue and she again assured me that since engineer did not find any faults inside our property than BT won’t charge me for engineer’s visit.

After this assurance from advisor I was less concerned about this but I got my bill on 29th May 2012 and I have been charged £130 shown as “Repair Engineer Call out Charge 21/02/2012” on the bill.

Now here I want to give you some more bad experience about the service provided that after my call in Feb 2012, I have called BT Technical team for the same issue 3-4 times and every time advised them that it’s an issue when there is a strong wind and advised them to arrange to check the black cable out site the property and I have been assured that this issue has now been passed to the team and I did get a text message after 2-3 days that your line has now been fixed. But line is dead intermittently whenever there is a strong wind.

I have my worst experience with BT technical team on Saturday the 13th May 2012 when again it was quite windy and line was going bad intermittently and again advisor asked me to open the BT socket and done the usual checks and confirmed me that there is no fault in line and I advised him that I am not able to make any calls and I have tried this with 2 phone sets and both are working fine. When I insisted many times he called my landline no. and call got disconnected immediately and he tried this 2 times again but call got disconnected every time and only after this he confirmed that it seems an intermittent issue and here again advisor advised me that he can book an engineer for this and at this point I refused to talk to him and insisted to speak to a manager. Manager again advised me that they need to book an engineer for this issue and of course advised me about engineer’s charges. I clearly refused for this and advised her about previous engineer’s visit and said that there is nothing wrong in my property. Here again Manager insisted that if engineer did not find any faults in my property I won’t be get charged for this visit but I refused for engineer’s visit and in the end manager reluctantly advised me that she is going to pass this to another team for investigation and they will be get in touch with me on Monday or Tuesday as they don’t work on Saturday and Sunday and until now I never received any calls from them.

After receiving my bill on 29th May I again called the technical team and spoke to a manager and explained him everything and he assured me that he will investigate about charges and information provided to me about engineer’s visit charges by advisor and assured me that someone will call me with in next 48-72 hours but never received any calls from anyone and again on 2nd June I called the same team for updates and advisor refused to put me through to the same person even I provided the full name of manager whom I spoke to last time and I have been assured that will get a call back from another manager. I did get a call back from manager and she simply advised that she can’t do much about this and even though engineer never find any faults in my property but she can’t waive these charges and further she advised that she don’t want to give me false information and charges can’t be waived. Upon advising that your information contradicts as per other manager’s information than she advised that she will send an email to that person to give me a call but did not advised me a time scale when I’ll get this call back.

Further most of the times to log a complaint I have always used my mobile and this has cost dearly on my mobile bill.

After this long story I can only say that this is a shocking and frustrating experience where I have been assured that there will not be any charges on engineer’s visit if there are no faults in my property but I got charged £130 for this.

Please help me to waive these charges for £130 and advise someone to investigate this issue.

Thanks

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: BT Engineer Call Out charge

If you would like to contact one of the UK based BT Care Team who moderate this forum, they should be able to help you.

They can be contacted using this link BT Care Team

They normally respond by phone or e-mail, within three working days, however you should get an immediate confirmation, with a tracking number.

0 Ratings
shamaronald
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Thanks Keith

I have posted a query to BT Care Team and got a tracking no.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

this is a public forum and for your security can you please delete your tracking reference

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
shamaronald
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Faulty BT Line - Ongoing since last Dec.

Hi Team

I have already raised a complaint with Incident no. where I’ve been charged for Engineers visit and I did get a call on June 5 and been advised that you won’t get charged for this and charges will be waived but BT still took the money from account and I hope they’ll reverse this in the next bill.

The reason I am writing this is to fix my faulty line where I have called the Technical team since Dec last year (may be 9 – 10 times) to fix this but no joy and you can see the numerous cases logged to this under account details. I every time I call this  team I always used my mobile and end up paying call charges on my mobile as well.

As we all know that in the past 5 – 6 days and in fact today again the weather is bad with strong wind and now again my phone line is not working and it comes on and off and has been the case in my previous complaints that my phone line stops working during the bad weather and an engineer did visited my property in the month of Feb 2012 and did not find any faults in my property (He checked the BT socket inside my house) and I did advise that may it might be an issue outside the property, may in the outside cable or in the pole and did advise him that its an issue during the strong wind. Engineer left only in 15 min. and advised that there is nothing much he can do and he even did not checked anything outside and that day weather was pretty much normal.

Here I want to confirm that in my house I have only one socket and that too has been installed by BT and white cable is only 2-3 meter long and both BT socket and cable are secure and safe and I have no pets and kids so there is no chance of any tempering with these and its an issue outside.

Today again as the phone line is not working so I can’t even use my broadband and again I am using Dongle to access Internet. I don’t want to use my mobile phone to make calls to Technical team as I am fed up of speaking to Technical team because they’ll simple assign this to some team, gave me an SLA time that this will be fixed in next 4 days and other team they’ll do some line test and close this without any investigation.

Since my phone line has this issue so now I think as if we live in a remote location where phone lines are dead with a slight weather change and never seems that we live in a developed town.

All I want now to someone to investigate and permanently fix this issue as I am not happy with the service provided and this issue should have been fixed after my 2nd or 3rd complaint and to make matters worst for me I have been charged for Engineers visit.

Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

Re: Faulty BT Line - Ongoing since last Dec.

Did you get a reply from the BT Care Team?

0 Ratings
shamaronald
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Keith

For my Engineer visit charges yes i did get a call from BT on June 5 advising that I should not be charged for this but still BT took the money as its Direct Debit so I hope this will be reversed in next bill.

But phone line has gone from bad to worst and I can't any make call to 151 or 150 and its the same story as we had this bad weather.

Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

If you stiil have the original e-mails from them, then reply, and update them.

If not, then raise a new incident with BT Care Team.

0 Ratings
shamaronald
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 12

Keith

Yes I did get the incident no. last time but I only got email from BT Residential Services with an auto response confirming that my email has been received with a incident no.

I have now raised a new query with BT Care Team and got another incident no.

I hope someone will now look into this issue.

Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

hi they will get back to you normally within 3 working days
0 Ratings