cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
amccausland
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

BT HOME MOVE FIASCO

Strap in, if anyone bothers reading this I'll be impressed (and grateful)

Moved house on 10th September, only 3 doors up from previous address. Deactivation of phone and broadband was set for Monday 14th with activation on the new address set for 17th Sep. I do a lot of freelance work from home at the weekends so a home internet connection is essential for me.

I checked the order status online via my account on bt.com around the 14th and saw that the engineers were unable to activate service. So I had to call to see what was up.

I have next to no mobile reception where I live so most of the time I end up standing in the back garden to try to call anyone or send a text message. Forget about mobile internet. So basically every time I have to call BT, that’s where from. I’ve now lost count of the amount of calls I’ve made.

So, I was told that because the previous tenant was on sky he possibly hadn’t moved his service. I was told the options were to contact the previous tenant to make sure his service had been moved or to get a new line installed. I, stupidly, opted to try to contact the previous tenant to ask about his circumstances. I contacted the landlord to then contact the precious tenant to ask if this was the case but he already had his account with sky moved to his new residence.

I then got a text on 23rd Sep to say BT would call me to discuss my order but no call came. Another text came on 26th to say BT would call to discuss the order but with me having no phone line yet and next to no reception where I live, I didn’t receive the call.

Another text came in saying BT will call me by 29th Sep by 8pm at the latest. No call comes until Wednesday the 30th where I chat to a chap from india (i think)

I don’t really get an explanation of what is going wrong at this stage as It’s difficult to make out some of his english but eventually he gives me a date for a technician to come out. Wednesday 7th October, nearly 3 weeks after the first supposed activation date. Why this wasn’t done when I first placed my order I’ll never know.

This is important to note for later in the story but I was told by this chap and actually a previous customer care member that the £130 phone line connection/technician fee would be waived because it was a house move.

So anyway, we’re finally getting somewhere. The phone line technician is scheduled to come out in the morning, whilst the broadband tech is scheduled for the afternoon. I have to take the entire Wednesday off work to sit around and wait for these guys because the time slots are so vague.

Wednesday comes and glory be, the phone line tech arrives near the end of the time slot. It takes some back and forth, but he eventually gets me connected, but not with our existing number which I requested. He initially said that wouldn’t be a problem but the number he’s trying to move isn’t my old number. He thinks the house we moved from (3 doors down) already has a new number and our old number haas been released and given to someone else. Great. Maybe because there was so much faffing about by BT for 3 weeks?

So we’re got a phone line at least, even if it is a new number and so I wait for the broadband tech to arrive. I wait all day and no one arrives.

Later that evening I got a text saying BT tried to call me about the connection of my services but were unable to reach me, because, again, I’ve got next to no reception where I live. The text then said they would try to contact me on the 14th October by 8pm. This is a FULL WEEK after the 7th when they were supposed to send out the broadband tech. Why does it take a WEEK to call someone back? Absolutely ridiculous.

I was utterly fed up at this point and just thought to hell with it, I called up to cancel the account and go with someone else who might actually be able to connect me.

I spoke to someone who asked the reasons for cancelling so I went through everything you’ve read above. She said that it was Open Reach who I needed to talk to about the connection but since you can’t directly call them you just have to wait for them to call back. Told her to forget it and just cancel the account.

Now, she tells me because I’m cancelling I’ll have to pay for the phone line installation. £130 quid. Nein. Not happening. And I get nowhere else so I just tell them I’ll call back.

Utterly exasperated at this point I just leave it. I ended up just waiting for Open Reach to get back in touch by the 14th. Do they? You’ve guessed it, no one calls, either mobile or the new landline number.

Again, exasperated I just leave it until I calm down.

So here we are, it’s the 19th October, over a month since I was first supposed to be connected still with no internet and I get an email from BT saying I can view my bill online.

This should be fun. So I check my account on the website and they’re telling me I owe them £188.29!

My blood pressure is through the roof at this point. They’re charging me for the phone line installation even after I was told on two separate occasions this was free.

They’ve also charged £22.45 for broadband for the coming month even though I’m STILL, A MONTH LATER, not even connected to the internet. I also can't check my order status online anymore as there is an error on the order page.

So what on earth am I supposed to do at this point?? They're charging me a fortune for an installation they said was free and for services I dont even have yet! I've been running back and forth to friends and neighbours houses borrowing their internet connections just to send emails for a month now and I'm sick of it whilst they're sick of the sight of me!

Who do I have to shout at/strangle/kidnap/ etc to get connected to the fr*gging internet?!?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: BT HOME MOVE FIASCO

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Hi amccausland,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the forum I'm really sorry to hear of the problems that you have had with your order.

Your best bet would be to contact our order team and allow them the chance to put things right. I will drop you a private message now which will include the link to our order team whereby you can online chat with them. This order team is based in the UK and will own your complaint until everything is sorted out.

Should you have any further problems after speaking with this team please let us know.

Neil

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
amccausland
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 9

ok so the online support guy just called me then fobbed me off to accounts, who then fobbed me off to new orders in India without explaining what went wrong with the previous orders, i've got a new activation date for next Tuesday. So, ANOTHER week to wait.

Nothing different happened that wouldn't have happened had I just called up, I had expected the online support would go through everything with me instead of me going through the entire phone system again. I ended up spending 55 minutes on the phone when I was supposed to be at work. STILL no explanation was given to me to state why it has taken this long. 

I've no reason to believe this will go any better than the last two attempts so i'll just report back here when that fails as well.

I've also had to cancel my direct debit with BT at my bank so that ridiculous £188 bill doesn't come out and put me in the red. But it may still come out as it's so close to the bill date upon which point I'll be giving up all my worldly possessions and living off moss up a mountain somewhere with my dog.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Hi amccausland,

I am sorry to hear that the online support was no help. If you send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile, I'll be able to take a look at this for you.

Thanks

PaddyB

Community ModeratorPaddyB
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
amccausland
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 9

thank you i've used the contact form. I did just miss a call form BT but wasn't able to answer at the moment as I am at work.

0 Ratings
amccausland
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 9

the farce continues:

On the contact form I asked if it was possible to get an earlier activation date because of all the hassles so far.

I also asked about the ridiculous bill. I asked if it was possible to find out exacly what was going wrong with all the other attempts. And I also asked about compensation for the delay.

I got a missed call and then an email saying my order had been fast tracked to Friday 23rd with an engineer activating the broadband between 8am and 1pm. I got told to contact BT once everything was up and running to talk about the bill and compensation. 

Friday comes and goes, no sign of anyone and no internet. Still no internet as of this morning.

Also, Friday morning I get a letter demanding payment for the outstanding bill of £188.29 even though it's not due to come out until Sunday.

This morning I get an email from BT saying the broadband will be acvitated tomorrow 27th Oct. So obviously, last Friday's activation hadn't even been in the system.

So it has now been nearly 7 weeks since I first placed my home move order.

If the broadband isn't up and running tomorrow I'm cancelling. I've had enough.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Hi amccausland,

Thank for posting back!

I can see that my colleagues have this scheduled in to get back to you again today.

All the best,

Robbie

Community ModeratorRobbieMac
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage