cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
reubenfarley
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

BT Halo Engineer Installation - No arrival, No Updates, Site Error on change date?

Recently move home and trying to get our broadband set up. We already have the BT Halo router and already have a Openreach port in the wall. Our engineer was schedule to deal with our installation today but didn't.

I have made my whole day available and made myself stay at home, but I suppose delays can be expected because it's new years eve, but still... I have received no notification to say there have been any delays or adjustments.

I've gone online to try find out what's going on. Go to track my order and it says the 31st is listed as a "provisional" date and so openreach never confirmed the day... frustrating, but sure. My next step is to go and click change date so that I can try to fix the issue by just rescheduling with a week's delay or something to adjust the date so we can get our internet working as soon as possible.

I click on change date and it brings me to a screen where all it tells me is "Your Mini Hub will be delivered and activated before your move out date." Well yes, I'm aware of that, that was weeks ago. So I have no ability to interact or respond to this issue in any way but to call BT. I'm expecting to hear "sorry, we are unable to do anything but reschedule your order since openreach didn't confirm anything." and push responsibility elsewhere.

Our provisional appointment was until 6, after which time the call lines are closed for new years even.

How can I re-adjust my appointment date online?
Why did I not receive anything to say that our engineer wasn't going to set up our broadband?
Why does it take over a fortnight to get someone set up our broadband when we already have a router and a line and just need it to be enabled elsewhere? Surely there's no physical work required if we already have an openreach port and a router.

Most of all, why do all the links from my tracked order just take me to a page that tells me that my mini-hub will be delivered, despite that happening 2 weeks ago.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: BT Halo Engineer Installation - No arrival, No Updates, Site Error on change date?

Which package are you getting - FTTC which uses the existing telephone socket or FTTP which is connected to an ONT like this

ONT fttp_small_ont_2019.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
reubenfarley
Beginner
Message 3 of 14

Re: BT Halo Engineer Installation - No arrival, No Updates, Site Error on change date?

So we already have a Halo Router, it's just we've moved house. So we're not really getting anything delivered, it's just setting up what we already have.

It's an engineer visit for a landline. They just never came and there's no update via email text or online. The site links that should assist all just send me to a page which is blank apart from the message about the mini-hub which was delivered ages ago.

I don't have a package coming, just the openreach installation.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

Sorry I don't mean a physical package but I mean are you getting fibre 1 or 2 using the phoneline not the ONT shown in my previous post. Have you tried connecting a phone to the phone socket to see if you get a dial tone

there is no Halo Hub  halo is an add on to your existing broadband and phone package

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
reubenfarley
Beginner
Message 5 of 14

Ahh, I see sorry. We were using our Broadband with Complete Wi-Fi, Landline from our last place and moving it across to our new house. We don't use the landline as we no longer have a phone and we'll be dropping it from our order when the contract expires.

Currently we've tried plugging in the router at the wall and the existing broadband port on the wall (from the previous residents). It flashes purple so, since the wires are definitely plugged in correctly, means it's not set up since it's not acknowledging it as being plugged into our broadband port.

I haven't been provided with any information since my initial setup talk, but I'd assume it would be the same as at our old house which was an FTTC. And the one installed here from the previous residents is also an FTTC.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

Normally with FTTC it is self install as it is just plug and play.  Testing to see if you have a dial tone is  basic test as without a dial tone you are not going to get broadband

0 Ratings
reubenfarley
Beginner
Message 7 of 14

When we try to plug in the router it flashes purple and the router's wifi becomes accessible but with no access to the internet. Is there a way to test dial tone without a landline phone to install?

0 Ratings
reubenfarley
Beginner
Message 8 of 14

A lot of your queries are focussed entirely as if this is a user based issue. I am of the impression from what I've looked into that this is an issue with the setup having been completed. It doesn't seem like a hardware issue of things being set up incorrectly or the setup process not being followed through. I haven't received any notification regarding our installation and our installation is still listed as a "provisional day" despite the day and time-window having lapsed. It has been stuck as a "Requested" installation for the past few weeks.

It seems like an activation issue where an engineer has yet to look at or activate our package post house-move. Which is why I am looking to try and get another engineer installation appointment sorted for another day. There is a bug on the website that is preventing me from doing it online and I haven't been updated with any information regarding our setup actually having been done or being delayed, despite being told I would be notified one way or the other.

It's new years day, so I can understand if there are delays, but I have no way of knowing what is going on and no actions to take to get our internet working.

I'm very thankful and appreciate your assistance but I did already outline my issues and it feels as if you're very targeted on the landline angle despite me talking about not having a phone and it's as if you're trying to tackle a different issue to the one I presented and answer different questions to the ones I asked.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 14

THe point I am making is that if there is no dial tone then you will not get an internet connection and confirming that your move has not yet been set up. At present you don't know whether your line has been activate but you cannot yet access the internet or just you you have no landline connection

you just need to phone CS on 0800800150 from a mobile  and find out the problem. As I said  FTTC is normally self install and line activated without engineer visit

0 Ratings
reubenfarley
Beginner
Message 10 of 14

Since, to my knowledge, there's no way to test a dial tone without a physical phone. I'm not sure why you keep mentioning it, since I've mentioned we don't have a landline phone. 

We tried to call customer support and by 6pm they had closed for new years eve and new years day.

So your response thus far to our issue has not been actionable in any way other than to check the dial tone. Which as I've now stated multiple times, we don't have a phone. You are correct that we don't know whether our line has been activated, that is indeed our issue that I was looking for help with.

Again I appreciate that you're trying to help. But we don't have a home phone, and I'm not able to go out and buy one just to test whether our dial tone is there.

On the other point where you've just been telling me that usually the FTTC is self install is new information, and is appreciated, but my initial message was asking if there was any way to get assistance with this online, since customer support is unavailable for an umber of days, so the answer is no. When we plug everything in and connect to the wifi, it tells us "Has your BT Broadband been activated? You may have to wait until midnight on your activation day for your broadband to be ready." Doesn't sound super self-install to me from everything I can see.

So to wrap everything up,  because the customer support lines are unavailable and because of a bug on the tracking page. I asked "How can I re-adjust my appointment date online?" The answer I'm getting is a no, go contact customer support to find out more?

0 Ratings