cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Metalcoreprincess
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

BT Infinity Home Move Nightmare

Hi all, I am new here. I'm looking for some advice as I am completely flabbergasted by what has been a complete mess of a home move.

I originally signed up with BT in April, I was already with Sky Fibre so the transition was fairly smooth. I since have changed address. I checked the availability of Infinity a fair bit before my move but as the cabinet related to my new address was full, no go. About a week later I checked again and the status had changed, so I duly contacted BT to move my services. As the line was dead at my new address, I had to forfeit my discounted priced contract as I could not pay the £130 reconnection fee upfront. My services were terminated the day I left my old property, and I was advised that everything, including Infinity, would be up and running at my new address on the 29th July.

The 29th comes around, a chap from Kelly Communications arrives to get everything going. I thought it was all going pretty well as he was a lot earlier than he was supposed to be. The phone line was done and dusted fairly quickly, but the broadband did not work. He said it could be connected any time up to midnight, so I thought fine, fair enough. However, just after 4pm that day, I got both a text and email to say that everything should be working. My hub was still flashing orange at that time, so I gave it a few reboots, then started to think something was wrong. I got in touch with technical support, and lo and behold, there was a fault with the broadband. I was told nobody could come until the following Monday, 1st August. I didn't think too much of it, with the line at this place being dead for some time, maybe there was a previous fault they hadn't fixed or something.

The 1st August arrives. I got a direct Openreach engineer this time, who said 'well, there's definitely no fibre coming here', and went off to the cabinet to find the issue. Some time later, he came back to inform me that I had no connection because the port I was assigned to in the cabinet was 1001....there are only 1000 ports there right now. There are plans to install another 'strip' in the cabinet, but it hasn't been done yet, and, perhaps unsurprisingly, nobody knows when it will.

As you can imagine, I am very very unhappy with this. Are BT even allowed to pull such a stunt? I have complained to the high hilt but currently not getting further than an update that I have to wait until the 7th August for. Conveniently, my full bill is due on the 8th. I work from home and have had to pay an excessive amount for mobile data just to keep some level of continuity.

I'm interested to hear if anyone else has been in a situation like this, and how long it took to resolve, as I'm not convinced this will be fixed any time soon.

I also would like to know where I stand if I wanted to cancel my contract, given that I just had to start another 12 months because of the home move, but so far I feel like it has been mis-sold. If I can cancel without penalty, would I be in the same position if I went to another provider and the cabinet is currently full?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
John25Roberts
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT Infinity Home Move Nightmare

Seen that before, there was a cab near me that was full so they planned to fit a new DSLAM card and put more FTTC tie cables in, all the work was planned for February/March time (it was September) but some idiot and obviously pressed the wrong button on the accepting orders system so Engineers kept getting sent out to do fits they couldn't do. After so long whenever they picked up a job off the cab they'd just send it straight back.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

Unfortunately you will be in the same situation whichever provider you go for. If there are no ports for BT, there are no ports for anyone else either. Is ADSL a temporary solution until further capacity is provided?

0 Ratings
Metalcoreprincess
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 7

Ah, I thought that might be the case but wasn't sure. I have asked about ADSL but as the situation is currently flagged as a 'fault', they're not budging until it's cleared. My gripe with this is that nobody, and I mean nobody, can tell me when this will be. I find it incredibly difficult to understand why a date can't be provided. I did think it was odd that a space freed up so quickly.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

@Metalcoreprincess I'm really sorry about the delay getting your BT Infinity connected and I appreciate the inconvenience this must be causing you. We'll be happy to chase this up with Openreach for you if you send us over your details using the 'contact the mods' link in my forum profile. You can find the link by clicking on my username .

Thanks

Neil

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
Metalcoreprincess
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 7

An update and another request for advice. Since I wrote this, my update/fix dates have been pushed back a further three times and I'm at my wits end. I attempted to ask for a temporary adsl connection. I was told this may be possible, but then got passed from pillar to post, getting nowhere in the process. After my previous fix date of Monday 8th August getting cancelled due to 'bad weather' (when there was none!), and then being told that there is no further update today, and will be none until the 15th, I've finally had enough. I rely on my broadband to work from home and collectively I have been disconnected for almost 4 weeks with no help forthcoming whatsoever.

At this point, I don't care if I have to go back on to ADSL. I am wondering if there is a clause for me to cancel my contract without penalty and get ADSL with a new provider ASAP?

There really is no justifiable excuse for these repeated delays. I have been falsely told I could get a service which still physically doesn't exist. What's also irritating is that the DSL checker doesn't flag up any issues either, when, by now someone should have updated it.

The light at the end of the tunnel keeps being pulled out of my reach and I honestly don't think I've ever been so stressed and upset with a service.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

If you have not already done so I recommend you contact NeilO using the link he has made available as the forum mod team will own your problem until fully resolved
0 Ratings