cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

BT Mobile Discount taken after leaving due to price increase

Go to solution

I have just had my broadband services terminated this month after informing BT I wanted to leave because of their price increase notice from Sept 2017 (It's been dragging on I know, I managed to leave in May but they were still charging me for services I never received).

Anyway it's officially ended, but I received a text stating my BT Mobile accounts will have their discount removed (an increase by £5 a month) because of services being cancelled.

I had read somewhere that if you leave due to a price increase, you wouldn't be penalised on your existing services that were taken out on the promise of that discount (as in if I stopped my Broadband services because of a price increase, I wouldn't be penalised on my BT Mobile services).

Is that correct or am I supposed to be charged more as I have informed BT to stop my broadband because of their price increase?

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: BT Mobile Discount taken after leaving due to price increase

Go to solution

When would your broadband contract have terminated had you not cancelled it? 

I would suspect that you would only get the discount for the duration of what would have been broadband contract. If it has now passed the date that it would have terminated I would think that is why you are losing the discount.

If the date has not passed you should still get the discount.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution
My contract was due to end this year Dec 2018. Last year BT raised the prices and I asked to leave. The services have only just been terminated after many months of them saying we've put the cancellation order through. I've checked the T&Cs for BT Mobile and it does say you keep the discount if you've had to cancel the other service due to a price increase or a change in the agreement by BT.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

If you have checked the T&Cs and you have found that as I said you keep the discount why are you posting here. You should contact BT and ask them to explain why you have been charged.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

I'm posting here because I have contacted BT via email, and they said the discount doesn't apply because I no longer have broadband, which is why I've come here to check as they don't always give you the right information.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

They do in their T&Cs. Get back onto them and quote the T&Cs to them.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

@vayidmwrote:
 I've checked the T&Cs for BT Mobile and it does say you keep the discount if you've had to cancel the other service due to a price increase or a change in the agreement by BT.

Specific prices are detailed in the Tariff Guide which, taken alone, makes it clear that you have to be in a BT Broadband household to get the discount. I was surprised to read that this is modified by the BT Mobile T&C so had a look and could not find what you stated. Can you point to the provision in the T&C?

Apologies in advance if I've missed something.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

@pottyperson wrote:

@vayidmwrote:
 I've checked the T&Cs for BT Mobile and it does say you keep the discount if you've had to cancel the other service due to a price increase or a change in the agreement by BT.

Specific prices are detailed in the Tariff Guide which, taken alone, makes it clear that you have to be in a BT Broadband household to get the discount. I was surprised to read that this is modified by the BT Mobile T&C so had a look and could not find what you stated. Can you point to the provision in the T&C?

Apologies in advance if I've missed something.

I am sure that the moderators have posted that the discount will still apply if you cancel because of the price rise. I'll look for the thread when I have time.

Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

Hi All, This was previously discussed on the BT price changes April and August thread message 281 by PaddyB. 

I've checked and can confirm that just like our last price change, if a BT Mobile customer chooses to cancel their BT Broadband because of the price change, we'll let them keep their £5 discount for as long as they keep BT Mobile with us. 

Cheers
John

Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

Thanks @gg30340 and @JohnC2 for putting the record straight. Is that actually in the T&C or an administrative decision by BT? The OP's dilemma indicates that it needs to be regularised.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings