Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lycan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

BT Price Rise September

I have just read on U Switch of a price rise thus:

BT is set to move 1.3 million of its home phone customers onto a new call plan in September. The ‘Unlimited Minutes’ plan will mean BT customers are able to make as many landline and mobile calls as they want but will come with a price increase of an additional £54 a year.

Which BT customers will be affected by the price increase?

The September price increase will affect BT customers that have a landline subscription, either by itself or bundled with a broadband subscription. At the time of writing, BT hasn’t announced a definitive list of customers who will be affected by the price increase, but the price jump is aimed at those on older call plans that don’t currently include calls to mobiles.

This change will not, however, impact vulnerable customers who are on a fixed voice service with BT.

How much is the BT landline price increase?

As of 1st September, selected customers will be moved onto the BT Unlimited Minutes plan which costs £15 a month. This plan includes unlimited calls to UK landlines and UK mobiles at any time of the day.

According to BT, the affected customers currently pay at least £10.50 a month, so will see a maximum price increase of £4.50 a month. This adds up to £54 a year at most. In addition, this doesn’t take into account what the affected BT customers typically spend on out-of-allowance calls, which would bring the average net price rise down to £1.83 a month.

It’s also worth noting that these costs do not include line rental –– which is usually an additional £20.20 a month for BT customers –– and isn’t going to be affected by the price increase.

My question is will I be affected by this price rise?

Currently I am on FTTP Fibre Essential which entails 36mbps and free weekend calls.

I do not use the BT landline, I have a mobile with another company which I am happy with and would begrudge paying for a calls package with BT which I do not need or want.

Thanks in advance for advice offered.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
-Richie-
Guru
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT Price Rise September

Price rise is misleading, depending on usage most will see the cost reduced, previously the only way to have inclusive daytime calls from 7am until 7pm was to have unlimited anytime calls which is over £10 per month (standard price), now you can have 500 minutes (over 8.5 hours) for £5 or 700 minutes for £7 with no inclusive time.

Are you affected by this, depends if you have unlimited anytime calls, if you have free weekend calls as part of your package then no, you're not affected by BT removing old legacy calling plans.

0 Ratings
garybs29
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 8

Theres been plenty about this on here lately as well. For you though if you're on weekend calls only you won't be affected, it's only those who have the unlimited anytime add on that are affected

0 Ratings
VeteranISPUser
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 8

Hi @Lycan   You have answered your own question. You are on free weekend calls and not free anytime calls so the change does not affect you. I was on free anytime calls (landline only) but changed to 500 minutes to landlines and mobiles (£5) so I’m saving money. All those effected should have received an email by now. The 60 minute limit on a single call has also been removed.

0 Ratings
Dode
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 8

Well I'm on Anytime Calls and I haven't received an email yet.

0 Ratings
-Richie-
Guru
Message 6 of 8

You might of changed already, the new calling plans have been in effect since October 2019, anyone who joined or renewed after then has already changed.
If not then check your spam/junk folders.

0 Ratings
Carlusha
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 8

@Lycan - My details from MyBT

Your landline

Your number:

Pay as you go

Only pay for the calls you make

• Calls to UK landlines, UK mobiles and 0870/0845 numbers are charged at 20p per minute

Like you, we use our mobiles or rather, my wife does as I am deaf. 

0 Ratings
Dode
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 8

@-Richie- Nope! In fact when I go through the motions of changing the plan it says,  Stay on Current Plan - Recommended, which is Anytime Calls. Of course one wouldn't expect the BT system to be up to speed on this, but I am still on Anytime Calls.

0 Ratings