cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

BT Rip Off, Overcharging big time

I've just realised that BT has been overcharging me about £20pcm.   I've been paying about £55pcm for Fibre 1 broadband plus anytime calls.  This should cost about £33.  Contract had ended, so I should have checked, but I had no idea I was overpaying by so much.  

So when I finally realised a few days ago I went online to try to change the package I have.  First I tried while logged in as me but it only offered me an "upgrade" (something to do with Halo I think) at 50p less per month!   I couldn't find anything to explain why I was paying £20pcm more than most people, and couldn't find out how I could make it less.  

So then I tried as a new customer - I chose Fibre 1 @ £27.99pcm plus 500 minutes free phone calls, £5pcm I think, then I followed the next steps, which included saying I was a current customer, I carried on until it said my order was ready - but the price suddenly changed to around £55pcm.  Unbelievable.  This is absolutely SHOCKING of BT.  I've been with them for years and years and they've been overcharging me massively for months  and made it almost impossible for me to change to a cheaper rate.  

Finally I phoned a number: 0800 917 0510 and spoke to someone at BT who did agree to create a new contract for me, at £32.99pcm.  But it's shocking that I had to phone and push for this rather than being able to do this easily online.  I've created a complaint with BT and will wait to hear from them about this. 

Exactly the same is happening to  a friend of mine, but he's not having such luck in being able to get his bill any cheaper,apparently he was offered a deal of £50pcm, when my friend pushed him the BT guy hung up the phone.  So hopefully he'll move supplier.  

BT This is SHOCKING, you should be ashamed.  

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: BT Rip Off, Overcharging big time

BT have only recently been notifying customers that there contract was due to end and any discounts would be lost. Before that and probably in you right case it was up to you to note when contract was to to end and either to renew or if you wanted move to another ISP without cancellation fees

to renew you should phone 0800800030 who deal with renewals and you can negotiate a new contract deal. If you can't get a cost to suit then you can just leave and move to another ISP

this is set out in the T&C that you received when you last renewed your contract

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Expert
Message 3 of 9

@BelindaP 

You have been paying the standard rate for your services as per the BT Tariff Guide 

I calculated (perhaps wrongly) based on the package you mentioned £54.57 where as the guide said £54.59 (page 8 )

As you had a deal when you signed up, reducing the cost of the plan, it would have been substantually more once your deal ended. 

According to Ofcom the provider should tell you when your contract comes to and end, how they do this is not clear.  

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Thanks for your reply, though I don't understand what you're saying.

The BT Tariff Guide is interesting to see, but it still doesn't make sense.  Eg according to this I was paying £10 more than I should have been as I didn't have "Complete Wifi".    Also this BT Tariff Guide doesn't match what new customers are offered.  

I repeat: shocking behaviour from BT.

I'm not asking for help or a solution in this message, I'm just making a comment about the poor service from BT.   I have tried to  register a complaint but it hasn't been acknowledged yet.  

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

You were advised when you last renewed your contract that once your fixed term expired your costs would increase but you obviously did not diary a note to renew your contract probably assuming BT would notify you.  BT like other providers left it up to the customer to remember renewal date but that has changed recently and ISPs must notify you when renewal is due

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 9

I'm afraid you didn't read my post properly.   This is extremely poor service from BT.

I'm not sure why you're defending BT.  If you work for BT then please send me a private message and I can discuss this and explain the issue.  

Thanks.  Best wishes.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Nobodys defending bt,

I'm trying to fathom out what it is exactly it is you are trying to complain about.

When you took out your services  you agreed to pay a discounted amount for said services until the contract expiry date, and then from then, pay the FULL price on a 30 day rolling contract until you negotiate a new deal or change isp.

There is no SHOCKING service, just standard industry practice, where the onus is on the customer to ensure that they are paying the correct amount, you can track existing order start dates through mybt, and to get the best renewal deals, they get you to ring the dedicated team, for the sake of a 15 minute call every 24 months, i fail to see why that is shocking and bad service.

Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 9

Many company’s offer ‘deals’, where a discount is applied for a period, then the ‘full price’ kicks in, and it was up to the consumer to be aware when the discount ended , Ofcom now ask company’s advise consumers when the discount is ending, you may or may not have been advised of the discount ending.

TBH, it’s unpleasant when you discover you have paid more than necessary, the upside is you have the option of leaving penalty free, if you sign up again  with BT or move to a new provider ( for less ££’s per month) it would be with a new minimum term ‘contract’, some are aware they are paying more than they need too, but want to be able to quit with a months notice.

I don’t think anyone is defending BT as such, simply pointing out it’s pretty much standard industry practice, those that don’t bump the monthly fee up after a while tend to start off a little more expensive, but the monthly price stays the same.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

@BelindaP wrote:

I'm afraid you didn't read my post properly.   This is extremely poor service from BT.

I'm not sure why you're defending BT.  If you work for BT then please send me a private message and I can discuss this and explain the issue.  

Thanks.  Best wishes.

i am not and never have been a BT employee.  I and obviously other posters are just stating this was part of your contract terms but it appears you did not read but agreed and therefore were not aware that you should take note when your contract was due to end as any discounts would cease and cost would increase
I am not defending BT just explaining you were not 'ripped off'