cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 17

BT Setup in New Flat (coming up to 2 months without broadband)

Go to solution

Moved into a new flat (new development so a few teething problems are expected I suppose), bought a BT hub and broadband package and had a call to organise my first engineer visit.

First engineer said the flat was not ready for broadband connection and cables would need to be installed under the road outside, so he organised a surveyor to visit.

Was then contacted by a BT call centre person who told me I'm required to pay £6000+ to have these cables installed.

Contacted my landlady and she informed me that the flat was in fact ready for broadband connection and there must've been a mistake since the connection process is quite simple and is nowhere near worth that cost, I was provided with the following list of instructions to supply to an engineer:

"There is a big black junction box on the front of the old building which feeds broadband and telephone into the downstairs business units.

BT or another telecoms provider needs to run a new 4 pair cable from the existing junction box along the same line as the business cable, but when it comes into the lobby it will take a different route into the meter cupboard (where it will connect to the 4 existing telephone cables to each flat).
The missing component for each flat is a master socket.  This provides the plug in connection between the cable to the junction box and the cable to each flat."

When I was contacted again by the call centre person I explained that I did not want to pay the charges and I relayed the information given by my ladylady. The call centre person was obviously following some set protocol, since my explanation was acknowledged but I was told I was on a set path and either I pay the money to proceed or I delete my account.

At this stage I'm a little confused having BT and my landlady tell me different things, I wondered if perhaps I had applied for fibre and my flat is only set up for copper?

I don't really mind if it's fibre or copper, I would just like a broadband connection of some kind. Any suggestions?
0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: BT Setup in New Flat (coming up to 2 months without broadband)

Go to solution

BT Retail do not provide or maintain the external network. This is done by Openreach who work for all service providers.

Are you trying to place an order with BT Retail, or another Service Provider?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 17

Go to solution

Ah, was this not the right place to come with this query?

All I was interested in was seeing if I could have another engineer attend my flat to see if my landlady's assertions were true that it is indeed just a routine install and something was missed. In which case the quick and easy install orginally intended should be able to happen?

However, as a tenant with no involvement in the development of the property I have nothing other than my landlady's word on this, which is presumably why customer support are hesitant to send anyone else out.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution

Hi @Mike2121

I assume that based on the 1st part of your post you have ordered services from BT (as in BT.com) or with them via the phone, is that right?

I think that's what @Keith_Beddoe was trying to check with you.

2nd does the flat have a telephone socket like this ?

If it does, is there a dial tone when you plug a phone in?  If there is, try dialling 17070 and see if you get a number read back to you, is that your number?

Smiley Happy

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution
This big black junction box will be a DP (Distribution Point). Did your landlord who renovated the flats check with Openreach that there is capacity at the DP?

Depending on what type of DP it is the external ones support up to 20 lines. If said DP already has 20 working lines on it then yes the job would have to go for a survey to increase capacity, which would mean installing new cabling and a new DP.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 17

Go to solution

Hi @CJT80, yes I've ordered services from BT.com. I bought a hub and asked for a broadband install.

There is a telephone socket in the flat just not with an openreach label on it. I don't have a phone to plug in but on a whim I tried plugging in the hub. It flashed green for setting up, then blue to indicate a connection was established and then after approx. ten seconds it went to red to indicate lack of connection.

@John25Roberts, the landlord hasn't mentioned whether or not this is the case. There is a engineer coming round in a few days for one of the other flats in the building and I will pass this on to the tenants there so they can raise this question and have it checked.

Thanks for all your help so far!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 17

Go to solution

So following the engineer visit to one of the other flats, a routine install was performed and the tenants at that flat were informed that an upgrade to fibre will be done shortly. They've been set up with a copper connection for now.

I didn't receive the call centre call I was expecting, I received an email saying "your phone service is ready" and MyBT has been updated now saying my order will be completed on the 13th October.

My HomeHub still reports an error with my BT line, which I expected since the "phone service" email said broadband would be activated later. Should I assume this means I am connected and that everything is on track?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 17

Go to solution

So in a call explaining that a formal complaint would be put forward on my behalf and I would be fast-tracked to have my broadband sorted, I was told that today I would receive I call sorting all this out.

I was again pressed to pay £6000+ even though I now know this isn't necessary, I was informed I have no line connected despite receiving an email saying that the phone service was ready and my order was cancelled and I was told to issue another order (which charges another £50ish one-off fee for a hub delivery I don't need since I already have one from the previous order).

I'm really tired of this.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 17

Go to solution

I also had my first £40ish bill the other day too. So thanks BT for taking money from my bank account when your own staff claim there's nothing connected.

In plain terms: My flat requires a routine install, my order was cancelled and I do not want to waste money on another Hub. I have been waiting over 2 months for a job that should have taken a week or two. Can I please speak to someone who isn't an outsourced call centre person who can actually help?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 17

Go to solution

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

0 Ratings