cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
krip2454
Message 1 of 23

BT Sport no longer free?

Go to solution

I was encouraged to sign up to BT Broadband as they would provide BT Sport for free. This was in June 2013 and as far as I know, that deal has not changed.

Alarmed to see on my latest bill that I have been charged £20.25 with a discount of £4.28 for the next three months for BT Sport Pack and that I will be subsequently charged £13.50 for future use.

At no time was I informed of this change and if it is the case that I will have to pay, I will cancel my BT Sport.

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 23

Re: BT Sport no longer free?

Go to solution

I believe that BT sent emails notifiying of how BT Sport changes impact existing  subscribers  (mine was eentitled  Changes to BT Sport) - suggest you check to see if you have any sitting in your inbox or spam folders  - as the email and any links included would probably explain what changes were due to occur and what your options are.  

0 Ratings
Hunter2660
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 23

Go to solution

It looks as if you're now out of contract. BT Sport was free providing you were in a minimum BT Broadband 12 month contract. Best thing is to ring up and explore your options regarding a new contract if you wish.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 23

Go to solution
Once you are beyond your BT broadband contract minimum term (12 months?) then on Sky you get charged £6.75 extra per month (£20.25 per quarter) for BT Sport. To avoid that fee you need to re-contract your broadband for another minimum term.

Also from Aug 1st the BT Sport base price is going up from £0 to £5 on Sky. BT Sport Lite (just BT Sport 1) will be £0.

You should have got an email/letter but if you login to MyBT it should also give a link to your options in the new BT Sport section. One option is just to cancel BT Sport entirely.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 23

Go to solution
The current full price on Sky is £13.50 which will change to £19.99 from Aug 1st.

As a BT Broadband customer your bills will show the full price along with the discount they give you to reduce the total charge.
0 Ratings
krip2454
Message 6 of 23

Go to solution

Thanks for the info. Will cancel it.

0 Ratings
Havnalaff
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 23

Go to solution

Much to my embarassment, I intially got annoyed about this change to BTSport, but after 5 minutes I admit I'd cooled down! This was because I found that where we live, there is practically no other service available (maybe Sky was available) no choice there really, so we renewed our contract with BT. I'm sure there will be many others in the same position as we are in. Ho hum.

0 Ratings
RodoRod
Contributor
Message 8 of 23

Go to solution

When you said BT have sent an e-mail - I checked all my BT e-mails.

I have been getting a "Friday Fix" weekly guide to BT sport e-mail - which is of near zero interest to me.

BT "sneakily" added a "change to terms and conditions" into this e-mail dated 8th May. This did not however detail options and costs........

As this was not a specific communication advising of changes of terms I doubt very much if this would stand up legally if challenged.

No doubt this is why I had a call today advising me of the changes - ie the cost (and a new contract required!!!!) - and I said no thanks - the person on the phone then attempted to switch me to BT Sport Lite - but failed miserably (apparently because I have two lines his machine was not programmed to accept changes!!!)

So now I have bee asked to call 0800 800 030 to get this changed.

I was advised that if I did this before the end of Aug I would not be charged and do not need to extend my contract.

So - Because BT wish to make changes - they "hid" this fact in a programme information e-mail - then called me and took up my time being unable to action what was agreed and I now need to call BT otherwise I will be charged. (We all know how much time that call will take up).

This is just not acceptable - costing me time to respond to BT's changes (I think I will send BT a bill for the time I am on the phone to them LOL).

No doubt I will do this - but coupled with problems with YouView boxes (from an update) that BT denied was their responsibility - speeds only half what I am paying for and frequent problems on the line the odds are that it will be bye bye BT at renewal.

AND I have just tried to get a pricing scehdule for BT Sport from BT's web-site - no chance - they only give you the price information they want to - not the full range of prices (eg BT Sport Lite/Full BT Sport costs both in and out fo contract) - more obfusication marketing by BT

0 Ratings
Highlighted
RodoRod
Contributor
Message 9 of 23

Go to solution

And here is the change:-

CONCLUSION - BT have to write to you to tell you what they plan to do - TO DATE I HAVE NOT RECEIVED A LETTER FROM BT advising me of changed (they did it via a phone call this afternoon) - looks as if BT cannot even adhere to their own terms and conditions................

And - if you do not like the changes (for all of us who hardly use BT Sport) then these changes mean you can end the BT Sport contract if you wish.....

From the BT web-site...........

RECENT UPDATES TO THESE TERMS

We've made some changes to these terms which are detailed below:

• If we increase the price you pay or substantially reduce the channels you can watch we will now give you 30 days' notice instead of 40 – see paragraph 44;
  • We can now change your subscription pack and move you to an equivalent pack – see paragraph 31;
  • We'll only tell you about changes in programme content through our Friday Fix update – see paragraph 30.

1. If we plan to:
  1. increase the subscription price you pay for BT Sport, or
  2. substantially reduce the number of Channels (but not Red Button Channels) within the Pack which you subscribe to, or
  3. change the BT Sport terms and conditions to your material disadvantage (which we may do under the Residential Standard terms),

then we will write to you to tell you about these changes so that you have at least 30 days' notice before they happen. If you reasonably consider that you would be materially disadvantaged by such a change, then you will have 30 days from the day you receive our written notification to call us and end your contract for BT Sport, on up to 30 days' notice to us. If you do so you will not be charged the higher price for BT Sport (if you have already paid the higher price we will refund the difference to you in your next or final bill), and if you are still in a minimum contract term for BT Sport, you won't have to pay early termination charges for ending your contract early. If we make changes to your terms and conditions which are not to your material disadvantage we will tell you about them in line with the Residential Standard terms.

• We can vary, add to, replace or withdraw any Channels. We may also vary, add to or withdraw Channels within any Pack. From time to time we may withdraw certain Packs and change the Pack you are subscribing to. If we do change the Pack you are subscribing to we will move you onto the nearest equivalent Pack and we will give you at least 30 days' notice of any change.
  • If we substantially reduce the number of Channels available in your Pack, you may have the right to end your contract for BT Sport under paragraph 44.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 23

Go to solution
BT didn't try and hide the BT Sport pricing changes in a weekly BT Sport update email at all. They sent out specific emails/letters to BT Sport customers (probably a few million of them).

Have you checked your communication preferences? Maybe something is set to telephone as the preferred method or they have a wrong email address on some system? Just because you didn't see a communication doesn't mean BT are trying to trick everyone.

The change to the terms and conditions you mention was just a change from 40 days to 30 days notice. All the other conditions were the same before. It was not the pricing change.
0 Ratings