cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 1 of 42

BT TV Price Rise from 28/7/19

Have seen the 4K specific thread, but thought i'd start a new one about the general BT TV price increase from 28th July 2019.

In my case I have received an email stating that my HD Max package is going up £4 a month from 28/7/19 and that I have until 20/7/19 to phone them to leave BT TV & Sport (I am in contract until 30/9/20 as I took up a 24 month deal to get £8/month discount).

If you consider I am paying £13/month inc. discount this is a 30% increase, or put another way they have halved my discount in one swoop.

I've had BT TV since 2014 but I think this will be it. I have to say that although it did give us access to many, many more HD channels than Freeview HD, our actual usage of these channels has been minimal.Almost all our recordings are Freeview HD channels.

We don't watch Premiership Football on BT Sport so do not get any benefit from this price increase - after all it is the few extra Premiership games that this £4 is going to pay for.

So we do watch Eurosport, but that is no longer a problem - Eurosport Player costs £40 per YEAR and can be accessed on the TV via Chromecast. Or there is Amazon Prime Channels. And if I keep BT Mobile we'll get the BT Sport on there anyway.

So sorry BT - you were cheap, but you have just pushed us out of the envelope. We'll save the £17/month and use it just on the channels we actually watch now.

41 REPLIES 41
jam2000
Expert
Message 2 of 42

Re: BT TV Price Rise from 28/7/19

If you cancel the BT sport part will you not pay the increase?
0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 42

No - BT don’t let you do that. The increase is associated with ‘BT TV Extra Channels and BT Sport’. You can’t save money by splitting Extra Channels from Sport.

If I could recoup the £4 by getting rid of AMC and the kids channels I might have stuck around. There are options to stop these channels but as that would not save any money there is no point switching them off.

Captain
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 42

I got this very email today and am absolutely ******* riled about it.

Only last week I thought I had recontracted for 18 months at £17.50 a month for Max HD TV.  Now I know that to be a guise to lure myself (and probably others) in.

Is this even legal - it certainly seems less than transparent - to advertise an offer and sign a customer up for 18 months only to then change the price and totally take the offer away.

I still have a few days (of the 14) left to see what else is out there and to cancel all my BT completely - I'm so glad I kept the mobile stuff separate.  To be honest, I can live without the sport - it was a luxury.

0 Ratings
-Richie-
Expert
Message 5 of 42

@Colin_London  you do have the option to renew your package for 18 months, which will mean you're not affected by the Max HD increase, your broadband discount will also be reapplied at the same rate, again for 18 months to keep discounts in sync, you might not want to but it is an option or you can cancel your Max HD which will remove the BT Sport, It's the Max HD that's changing in price for you.

@CaptainIf you renewed last week you might of escaped the increase, your price rise notification will tell you when it takes the price rise from, for example it might state based on the services you had on May 15th 2019, which no longer applies as you've made changes since, again you could renew again and definitely avoid it, so your 18 month contract becomes an 18 month and 2 week contract, discounts last the full duration.

Captain
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 42

@ Richie - that's really helpful - thank you.  I checked right to the bottom of the email and it said based on services I had on 6th June.  I recontracted from 11th June.  Do you think there's a chance I might have 'escaped'?

It states to check my pricing on the web if things have changed since the 6th June - but I'll probably need to phone to confirm.

0 Ratings
-Richie-
Expert
Message 7 of 42

@Captainwrote:

@ Richie - that's really helpful - thank you.  I checked right to the bottom of the email and it said based on services I had on 6th June.  I recontracted from 11th June.  Do you think there's a chance I might have 'escaped'?

It states to check my pricing on the web if things have changed since the 6th June - but I'll probably need to phone to confirm.

What does it state the price of your Max HD package will be from month 19 ? If it states £25 then you're on the new pricing and will not be affected by the price rise, you should of course check this with BT for confirmation.

0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 42

@Richie 

Nope - no renewal option given in my case. I have 15 months to go on the contract and so clearly they have worked out that there is no point offering me an 18 month renewal to avoid the increase (no benefit to them in locking me in for just an extra 3 months whilst letting me off the £4).

I wouldn't sign up for an SD package, and I begrude that BT is actively increasing the price differential between SD & HD when HD should be the defacto standard for all TV nowadays (TV Max is going up by £2, HD Max is going up by £4!)

0 Ratings
-Richie-
Expert
Message 9 of 42

@Colin_Londonthen you have been given the wrong information, there will be an offer unlocked to renew your existing TV packages for the same price, in doing so will renew the broadband with the same discount you have now, which means you will not pay the increase.

I'd suggest trying one more time, if not then a mod will be able to help.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 42

In the communication from BT thus far I have not seen any offer of the renewing at the same rate for BT TV to offset the increase. Others have posted about such offers in the official emails but this does not seem to be universally offered.  

0 Ratings