Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
appyad
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

BT account number/phone number mismatch

Hi

Last year, following my dad's death, we switched our BT account name over to my mum but failed to notice that in the confirmation of direct debit letter, that you (BT) had managed to change the phone number linked to the account reference. I can thus login to 'my BT' using this incorrect phone number, verify my mum's bank is supposed to be paying the DD, but nothing else matches up.

The result, some 3 months later, is that we receive zero bills, no charges are taken from my mum's account and she enjoys free landline and broadband service.

I called last week and spoke to a real person for 30 mins at overseas rates who was going to fix it (he didn't), send me an email saying how to log in (he didn't) and give me a call back the next day (he didn't).

I imagine that you (BT) would like another chance to rectify the situation and I suggest getting in touch.

Cheers, AP

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT account number/phone number mismatch

@appyad 

Please bear in mind that this is only a customer to customer forum, and the only BT Employees are the moderators, so you may not get a reply here, unless a moderator sees your post.

0 Ratings
appyad
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Thanks. I was wondering whether that was the case...
0 Ratings
CJT80
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 8

You could see if Billing Chat are available later:

https://www.bt.com/help/home/contactus/index.html#/account-and-billing/bill-payments-and-charges

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
RobbieMac
Message 5 of 8

Hi @appyad,

Welcome to the Community and thanks for your post!

I'm sorry to learn about the recent passing of your Dad.  I can understand how difficult it must have been for you all and I'm sorry that things weren't fully moved over to your Mum's name.  We are extremely busy at the moment due to the current crisis.  I would ask that you give us a call when you have the time to give my colleagues in the voice channel an opportunity to get everything sorted out for you.  You can call us on 0800 800 150.

Keep us posted how you get on chatting with them.  If you are still having problems we can then pick it up from here however due to how busy we are there would be a wait for us to get round to picking up your case.

Many thanks,

Robbie

0 Ratings
appyad
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

Thanks to everyone for their kind thoughts and suggestions.

Unfortunately we're not much  nearer to a solution. I had my brother cancel this 'phantom' number but then the BT call center started asking for original copies of Legal Power of Attorney that I hold for my mum, to be able to go any further and there is NO WAY I'm sending those anywhere.

The 0800 800150 number isn't much use to me as I live in France - any other way to talk to someone real ?

Cheers

Adam

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
appyad
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

Just a little update for community delectation and delight.

So we simply cancelled service on the phantom number thinking that it might a) provoke a response and b) save money. 

Both. And more, in typically obtuse BT fashion.

The main phone number that has been my parents main number for 50 odd years is now switched to incoming calls only. Not great with a mum suffering from dementia and at risk (siblings live sort of near, but still...)

We also received a billing reminder that some sot of discounted sport package that my now deceased father used to watch, would soon be ending along with A NEW ACCOUNT REFERENCE NUMBER !!! Woo-Hoo !!! I told you there'd been a response.

Except...

Impossible to 'find' that account reference when setting up a new BT ID and impossible also to add that 'new' account to the old phantom one.

I'm stuck again and at a loss for words - words that I have tried on so many many occasions to share with one of your fine operators.

Kafkaesque 

0 Ratings
PaddyB
Message 8 of 8

Hi @appyad,

Thank you for posting. I can understand your frustration and I'm sorry your complaint hasn't been resolved. Please can you send me the details and I'll take a look at this for you?

I have sent you a private message with instructions on how to contact me.  You can access your messages via the envelope icon at the top right of the screen, or click on this link, Private messages

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings