Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FarleyUK
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

BT breach of contract, 6 months in

Hi all,

I'm really hoping someone here can help me - this has been going on for the past month, and we have been passed from person to person, with each person saying something different which could not be possible based on what the other poeple have told us....!

My 74 year old Mum moved house in June, and we arranged for the BT services to move to her new property on 22 June. The contract - ordered and dated 25th May - states that the services she has ordered will be as follows:

- Phone Line

- Broadband (infinity 1)

- BT Sport

- BT TV (entertainment package)

The phone line and broadband were setup and working, and the BT TV seemed OK. Due to a family issue, my Mum then had to go to the USA for several weeks. When she returned, she realised that she could not get BT Sport, and the broadband was very very slow - as well as this, the TV signal kept on breaking up and pixellating (on 2 seperate TVs).

Long story short - she spent over 15 hours in total on the phone to various people, before speaking with someone called 'Dominic' in accounts. He arranged for an engineer to come and check everything, as it looked like someone at BT had accidnetally switched off BT Sport in error (his exact words).

Engineer came out, and was basically pretty shocked at the situation - he even called BT while he was there and had an argument on my Mum's behalf, as he saw that BT Sport was on the contract and yet she hadn't at any point had it activated. As well as that:

- the Infinity speed was found to be 14MB download

- he couldn't see why the TV was pixellating (he witnessed it happens several times) but suggested it might be due to bad installation when the engineers installed it originally (back in june)

- he discovered that the BT Entertainment was also not activated

I asked him next steps, and he told me he would submit the eport which would be received right away by BT. Dominic at BT had promised my Mum a call back the next day - yet this never happened.

So, my Mum spent a further 2 hours on the phone explaining the entire situation again to 'Roy' in India, who assured her they had not received any report from an engineer. However, Roy told her someone would call her back in a couple of days.

Guess what? No call received.

The current situation is that my Mum is incredibly stressed out, is paying for something she has not been receiving for SIX MONTHS, nobody at BT is doing what they say they will, and she is now going to just stop the direct debit as a way for someone at BT to actually contact her.

Please, please please can someone at BT in a position of authority contact me or my Mum to get this sorted out? It's beyond a joke, and is a complete farce.

Apologies for the long post, but I feel this is the only way to maybe get any action on the issue!

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT breach of contract, 6 months in

Do you have easy access to visit her house to make some checks?

In order to find out what services and speed range she should be getting, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out her phone number before you post the results.

0 Ratings
FarleyUK
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Thanks Keith - this is the result for the speedtest:

VDSL Range A (Clean)21.115.23.31.6--Available----
VDSL Range B (Impacted)188.72.40.8--Available----
FTTP on Demand33030--Available----
WBC ADSL 2+Up to 5--4 to 6Available----
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 5Up to 0.54 to 6Available----
ADSL MaxUp to 5--4 to 6Available----
WBC Fixed Rate1----Available----
Fixed Rate1----Available----
VDSL Multicast------Available----
ADSL Multicast------Available----

To be honest, she can cope with the broadband speed (as she's not an online user), as long as it is adequate for Spotify and YouTube on the TV. However, her main concern is paying for servcies (such as BT Entertainment and BT Sport) that she has never received.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Picture breakup on FreeView will be cause by the TV aerial. Breakup on Internet channels will be an issue with the broadband.

Which ones are affected?

The account issue can be sorted quite easily, but if there are broadband issues, then these need to be sorted first.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

@FarleyUK thanks for posting, I'm really sorry about the problems your Mum has had with her BT service and the difficulties she has had getting this sorted. Please use the 'click here to contact the mods' link in my forum profile to send in your Mum's details and we'll be happy to help. You can find the link by clicking on my username .

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
FarleyUK
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Yeah, that's what I thought. It's happening mostly on the HD channels (so 101, 102, 103 etc.) but is also happening on the Internet channels too (CI, for example).

0 Ratings