cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SMB2
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 25

BT charging 90 Year old disabled lady for £140 phone move

Can someone tell me if this is standard practice for BT to charge a 90 YO disabled lady who is having to move into a nursing home £140 to move her one means of communication, her phone , to the home.  We were originally told the move was free (same exchange) but now BT want to charge £140.  Seems a bit excessive and a way to take money from a senior citizen who has been with BT for 38 years.

0 Ratings
24 REPLIES 24
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 25

Re: BT charging 90 Year old disabled lady for £140 phone move

Its Openreach who raise the charge, and then pass it on to the Service Provider, whether its BT Retail, or another provider.

I am not aware of any moves that would be free, althogh BT usually absorb the charge if phone and broadband are being provided at the same time.

0 Ratings
SMB2
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 25

at 90 she's not really into Broadband, she just needs the phone to be able to talk to family around the world.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 25

Hi @SMB2 I understand your surprised at the cost on connection of a phone line.

The standard connection fee is £140.00. The cost is to cover the work required to connect a new line. This charge applies when there is no suitable BT line available in the room in the nursing home. You can find out more at How much does it cost to install a new BT phone line or reconnect an old one? 

The connection charge can be spread over over 12 months if the lady is a BT Basic customer. 

Thanks

John

Community ModeratorJohnC
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
SMB2
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 25

Hi John @JohnC2

That still doesn't explain why we were originally told it was free , and then £140 seems excessive, for her that is a weeks nursing and physio, BT get all the call revenue for dosmestic and international calls.  After 38 years it's not very respectful to the older generation.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 25

Hi @SMB2 Sorry that you were initially told the move would be free of charge. The connection charge is a set charge and will be raised for the connection of a landline when no connection exists. I appreciate the customer's loyalty but call revenues from the line cannot be used to adjust the charge.

Thanks

John 

Community ModeratorJohnC
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
SMB2
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 25

@JohnC2   Perhaps when you are 90 living on a state pension you may have a different view on life.  BT/Openreach should have some policy to support the vulnerable in a way that isn't ripping them off for 38 years of loyalty to make an extra buck.  If this is standard BT/Openreach policy it's clear that corporate greed has taken over, and personally I find it a disgraceful attitude from BT/Openreach .

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 25

@SMB2 wrote:
 Perhaps when you are 90 living on a state pension you may have a different view on life.  BT/Openreach should have some policy to support the vulnerable in a way that isn't ripping them off for 38 years of loyalty to make an extra buck.  If this is standard BT/Openreach policy it's clear that corporate greed has taken over, and personally I find it a disgraceful attitude from BT/Openreach .

BT do have policies and packages that help the vulnerable/less well off people but they are not a charity. They are no different from all the other phone providers. There is no such thing as a loyal customer, everybody is just a customer and the phone companies are there to make money.

See link for BT Basic

https://btplc.com/inclusion/ProductsAndServices/BTBasic/index.htm

0 Ratings
SMB2
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 25

thanks for that but it's not focused at a pensioner or disabled person according to the summary, so of no help.  . 

I'm not asking for BT to be a charity, I am asking them to have a policy that allows for supporting those that have done their bit for society, support those that have few pleasures in life and those they do have are simple, to not use corporate revenue generation as a motive to drive loneliness amongst their clients.

And I'm very clear we are not customers anymore, we are revenue generation points, but no one ever wants to do the move to a care/nursing home, companies should not be using it to make a profit.  The number of changes per day is nothing to BT and could be lost in an instant.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 25

BT are reducing line rental for certain people, so thats £84 of the installation charge returned.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/60353/~/is-bt-cutting-line-rental%3F

BT Basic may be a better option, depending on how many calls are made.

https://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9833

0 Ratings