Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 25

Re: BT charging 90 Year old disabled lady for £140 phone move

@SMB2 wrote:

And I'm very clear we are not customers anymore, we are revenue generation points, but no one ever wants to do the move to a care/nursing home, companies should not be using it to make a profit.  The number of changes per day is nothing to BT and could be lost in an instant.

I doubt there is much profit involved, the wires don't magically appear they have to be run to the room from a distribution point by an engineer, work has to be done in the exchange and records need to be amended, it all costs money.

I have been a BT customer for over 40 years and don't expect to receive any preferential treatment.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 25

It is obviously a very emotive subject and could no doubt be debated at length such as how do you determine who the people BT should be  "supporting those that have done their bit for society, support those that have few pleasures in life".

Do you include people who have never worked a day in their life and lived of benefits all their days even although they were fit and able to work and contributed nothing to society. Do you include people who still live with their family who would could also use the "cheaper" phone etc etc.

Perhaps you could buy some BT shares, which would then entitle you to attend BT AGMs and you could raise the matter there.

0 Ratings
SMB2
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 25

I see I appear to be in a group of shareholders. 

It shouldnt be upto me to determine criteria, but it appears other than BT Basic ( which is not relevant to pensioners or disabled) there is nothing.  Good on BT they are bringing a reduced line rental in, but it's not active yet.  So until April there is nothing in place as an ethical program to support key older, disabled people.

If there is something I'm keen to hear.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 25

I am not a BT Shareholder nor am I or have ever been a BT employee.

I have however been a BT customer for many many years and I do not believe that I should have to subsidise others to use the same system that I pay full price for.

As I said, an emotive subject.

0 Ratings
SMB2
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 25

yes very emotive, we can agree on that.  For the record she's paid her way , BT have done very nicely thank you. I started by questioning BT policy as we were originally told no charge. 

unfortunately the world is littered with examples of the same service billed at different prices to different clients, BT themselves do it especially on broadband. It's a fact of life.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 25

I have no doubt she has paid her way, as have hundreds of thousands if not millions of other elderly BT customers and customers of other phone service providers. 

All service/insurance etc companies can and do charge different rates for their services. Always haggle at renewal time and you will nearly always get a lower price.

You should consider a mobile telephone contract. If you have an old mobile phone you would only need a sim only deal . You may get a cheaper deal than going with a landline phone especially if you take into account the cost if installing a land line.

Some sim only deals start at £5 per month for 750 minutes of calls.

0 Ratings
SMB2
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 25

good suggestion, we have considered that but practically all her contacts know her on her number, when you get to that age, even learning new handset types can be a challenge,   Hopefully we have that to look forward to aswell.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 25

When she moves she may lose her current telephone number depending on where the move is to so her contacts may have to start using a different phone number even if she stays with BT.

See link

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8320/~/can-i-take-my-existing-phone-number-with-me-wh...

0 Ratings
SMB2
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 25

same exchange in a small village, as I say we were surprised by the charge at the point the move order was placed

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 20 of 25

If the room(s) she is moving into have never had a phone service previously , then the first time install is charged for, it may seem unfair, but that's pretty much always been the case... first occupier pays for the install , all subsequent occupiers normally only pay to takeover the 'line' from the previous occupant, If her nursing home room has had service before (so a master socket would already be there) then this person could challenge that a takeover is all that is required, multi occupancy residences can be tricky to locate the exact room, flat, apartment etc, which may explain why they were told initially 'no charge' BT sometimes waive the install charge if a line and broadband are taken together, It could be the case that taking broadband (even though they may not want or need it) on the line could be cheaper than a line on its own. It may seem harsh, but BT is a business not a charity, for some people they are obligated to offer social a tariff to those on certain benefits something no one else has to offer. There are other providers apart from BT and some charge less than £140 for an install ( but all would charge something if it's a genuine first install), any decent provider should be able to import the phone number. Someone could drive only Ford cars for 40 years, but that doesn't mean that Ford will give them a new car , just for being a loyal customer, and no one would think Ford was ripping that person off by asking for the 'new' car to be bought .
0 Ratings