cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SMB2
Aspiring Contributor
Message 21 of 25

Re: BT charging 90 Year old disabled lady for £140 phone move

I have been told there is  a socket in the room already , if it's been connected to bt or sky or whatever service in the past I have no idea. so not sure what wires need to be run.   I don't think a free car is comparable here,

0 Ratings
SMB2
Aspiring Contributor
Message 22 of 25

For those advocating everyone should pay the same, I would like to refer you to the BT webpage for moving Home.

It Clearly lists under 'Moving with us is easy' that there is NO CONNECTION FEE.

https://www.productsandservices.bt.com/manage/moving-home/

This is clearly misleading advertising, as BT policy is to charge a fee once you book the move. If everyone is treated the same,  BT should remove this fee from the move as the advertising clearly states it's free.  There are no wires to run to the room, so what are they charging for?

@JohnC2

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 23 of 25

The page you linked to appears to be geared towards moving a broadband package not a telephone only option however if you read all that page you linked  to and in particular the FAQ about "How much does it cost to install a new phoneline" , which is the case in this thread, you will see that it states the following if you are moving a Telephone package only.

"If you are ordering a BT Phone package, you may have to pay a connection charge but we'll let you know when you order. There is usually a £50 fee for activating an existing line that is provided by BT or another provider, and a £130 fee for installing a new line."

0 Ratings
SMB2
Aspiring Contributor
Message 24 of 25

Search for moving home and BT and thats the page you get. There is no mention of that fee in the advert headline, the very definition of a misleading advert.  In fact I would say NO CONNECTION FEE means no connection fee.  There are wires to the room and line already exists, and BT want £140 not 130.  So from start to finish BT are not consistent

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 25 of 25

If you feel the advert is misleading you should complain to the advertising standard authority but I think you will find that there are very many advert headlines of all sorts that do not set out every eventuality, that is why they have things like FAQ and Terms & Conditions that should be read before commiting to what is being advertised.

EDIT:

As regards the socket in the room. Did you check to see if it has a dial tone. The link you were given by the moderator explains why you should do that and what it would mean regarding fees.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8311/~/how-much-does-it-cost-to-install-a-new-bt-phon...

0 Ratings