cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pathetic_Service
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 21

BT data usage INCORRECT!!!

For the last three months my data usage has apparently exceeded the 40 limit.  This is simply not true.  Our data usage for the last year has been from 18 - 30 ish monthly and nothing we do has changed.  Our internet habits are exactly as they were before, though the last two moths have been 64 and 49. We have already used 47 this month with days to go.

I initially informed BT on the 15th March after my Feb bill and I was told that an engineer would check the line and I would be called back in 5 days.

No call, so on 22nd I called again. Apparently no enginner checked anything, nothing had been done. The chap said that an engineer was not needed.  I was advised to change the password (done), told that no network fault had been recorded, and they checked that there was no cross connection.  I was then advised to upgrade to unlimited.  This took a total of 1 hour 48 mins on the phone over three calls (as the call was dropped).

I rang again on the 25th to find out my daily usage over the last 7 days and to ask to have FON turned off.  This took 1 hour and 26 mins in two calls.

I called again and my IP address was checked (all fine). I then was asked to share my screen with the advisor so she could check my internet history to see if I was visiting sites that may be using a lot of data (I could not belive this, but went along with it). She found nothing, though I had already told her that. This took over an hour and two calls as the call was dropped.

Today I found out that you can check the usage recorded by you home hub (something I should have been informed of during the hours I had previously spent on the phone to BT), so I did. Since I had reset the hub on friday (on the advice of BT) I only had data for four days. This was enough to see a pattern. From Sat - Mon (over three days) BT online had recorded over 9.7 GB of data. My home hub from Fri 17:00 - Tues 14:30 (approx four days) my hub had recorded a total of 4.1GB. This means BT are logging MORE THAN DOUBLE MY ACTUAL USAGE!!!

I rang again today.  In over two hours of calls (dropped four times) and being transferred from department to department and explaining the same thing over and over again, I have been told I will get a refund for the charges.  This is great but no one will tell me what is being done to fix the problem. Tech department say it is a billing issue, billing say it is a tech issue.

I simply want to know what is going to be done to resolve these "overestimates" (as I have been told that BT does bill on estimates!!!!!!).  I know I am not the only person with these issues. Please get in touch if you experience something similar. If my issue is not resolved in 10 days I will be going to ofcom.

Sorry for the long rant

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 21

Re: BT data usage INCORRECT!!!

there are numerous posts on this subject which you can find using search 'excess usage problems'  here is one of the links  http://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-Queries/excessive-usage/m-p/335385/highlight/true#M17373

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 21

@Pathetic_Service wrote:

For the last three months my data usage has apparently exceeded the 40 limit.  This is simply not true.  Our data usage for the last year has been from 18 - 30 ish monthly and nothing we do has changed.  Our internet habits are exactly as they were before, though the last two moths have been 64 and 49. We have already used 47 this month with days to go.

I initially informed BT on the 15th March after my Feb bill and I was told that an engineer would check the line and I would be called back in 5 days.

No call, so on 22nd I called again. Apparently no enginner checked anything, nothing had been done. The chap said that an engineer was not needed.  I was advised to change the password (done), told that no network fault had been recorded, and they checked that there was no cross connection.  I was then advised to upgrade to unlimited.  This took a total of 1 hour 48 mins on the phone over three calls (as the call was dropped).

I rang again on the 25th to find out my daily usage over the last 7 days and to ask to have FON turned off.  This took 1 hour and 26 mins in two calls.

I called again and my IP address was checked (all fine). I then was asked to share my screen with the advisor so she could check my internet history to see if I was visiting sites that may be using a lot of data (I could not belive this, but went along with it). She found nothing, though I had already told her that. This took over an hour and two calls as the call was dropped.

Today I found out that you can check the usage recorded by you home hub (something I should have been informed of during the hours I had previously spent on the phone to BT), so I did. Since I had reset the hub on friday (on the advice of BT) I only had data for four days. This was enough to see a pattern. From Sat - Mon (over three days) BT online had recorded over 9.7 GB of data. My home hub from Fri 17:00 - Tues 14:30 (approx four days) my hub had recorded a total of 4.1GB. This means BT are logging MORE THAN DOUBLE MY ACTUAL USAGE!!!

I rang again today.  In over two hours of calls (dropped four times) and being transferred from department to department and explaining the same thing over and over again, I have been told I will get a refund for the charges.  This is great but no one will tell me what is being done to fix the problem. Tech department say it is a billing issue, billing say it is a tech issue.

I simply want to know what is going to be done to resolve these "overestimates" (as I have been told that BT does bill on estimates!!!!!!).  I know I am not the only person with these issues. Please get in touch if you experience something similar. If my issue is not resolved in 10 days I will be going to ofcom.

Sorry for the long rant

Hi.

The hub is liable to reset, and hence can only be used as a guide on a daily basis.

Also note that the online usage monitor is up to 23:50 the day before, and is for the usage up to that date from the start of the month (the system seems to update sometime around 14:00 or later).

So to do a real check, on Day 1 before midnight - make a note of the hub figures. This is the start figure. The next day (Day 2) after 2pm, check the online usage monitor, this will be the onlie usage monitor start time for the reasons in my previous paragraph.

So on Day 2 before midnight, check the hub stats and make a note of the difference in figures from the Day 1 start figures. Record up/down separately.

On Day 2 after 2pm, check the online usage monitor. The difference in figures from this tothe Day 2 online usage monitor can then be checked against the hub figures.

This should be done on a few consecutive days in order to get a decent comparison. Your figures may overlap from a previous day - as you need to make sure that the online usage monitor does say the correct date (for the comparison to be valid).

Can you say who said that BT bill on estimates ? Because that clearly can't be the case.

In truth, the hub stats could actually show more - if things like BTVision, Youview, BTCloud are used (and BTWifi) - because they will be added to the hub figures, but removed from the online usage (hence the delay in getting them I believe).

0 Ratings
Pathetic_Service
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 21

Thanks Andy for your advice, I am now checking the stats daily from BT and my hub to compare.

I know my dates and times were a bit off but the three days with data from BT online were within the four days read off my hub. Even though the online total was only three days it was still more than double the four day reading from my hub.

I am just waiting for the totals to update and will check yesterdays stats.

I was told by an advisor in the tech team that the online data is just an estimate, BT bill using this data, not the data on the hub. It therefore follows that BT bill on estimates. I would love to know how BT acutally calculate the bill and the online totals, I hope someone can tell me that I am wrong!!

I have read so many complaints about the data usage being incorrect. I can't believe that BT are not prepared to explain how this is happening. It seems that there is no information regarding this issue from BT. Just customers sharing data.

I also cannot believe that through hours of phonecalls, not once did anyone mention that I could check the data useage recorded on the home hub.  In my opinion this would be the first thing I would ask a customer to do when they ring up with concerns about the usage.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 21

@Pathetic_Service wrote:

Thanks Andy for your advice, I am now checking the stats daily from BT and my hub to compare.

I know my dates and times were a bit off but the three days with data from BT online were within the four days read off my hub. Even though the online total was only three days it was still more than double the four day reading from my hub.

I am just waiting for the totals to update and will check yesterdays stats.

I was told by an advisor in the tech team that the online data is just an estimate, BT bill using this data, not the data on the hub. It therefore follows that BT bill on estimates. I would love to know how BT acutally calculate the bill and the online totals, I hope someone can tell me that I am wrong!!

The usage monitor is not an estimate and is used by BT for your bill (it still may be incorrect but not estimate

I have read so many complaints about the data usage being incorrect. I can't believe that BT are not prepared to explain how this is happening. It seems that there is no information regarding this issue from BT. Just customers sharing data.

I also cannot believe that through hours of phonecalls, not once did anyone mention that I could check the data useage recorded on the home hub.  In my opinion this would be the first thing I would ask a customer to do when they ring up with concerns about the usage.

The problem with checking the usage recorded by the hub is that the total is reset whenever the connection drops or manual reset of hub.  That is why you cannot compare the hub total to usage monitor total but you can compare daily

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Pathetic_Service
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 21

I am confused as to why people think it is so complex to compare the usage between the hub and the online total.  My hub tells me how long it has been since resetting and the online data gives daily totals.  Where is the issue?

The data I gave in my initial post was read off the hub which had been on for 3 days 23 hours and 22 mins.  The daily totals were read from online for three entire days within this period (and also checked over the phone with an advisor as they also have the last seven days totals).

The usage for the 3 days 23 hours and 22 mins recorded on the hub was 4.1 GB

The usage from BT online for 3 days WITHIN this period (i.e. 23 hours and 22 mins LESS) was over 9 GB

As long as you record the time on the hub there is NO ISSUE with comparing data.

When it comes to the BT totals being an estimate I am only quoting what I was told by the BT advisor, don't shoot the messenger.

imjolly could you explain how the data usage online can be incorrect?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 21

there are numerous posts on the forum about incorrect usage - you can use search facility to find them all. 

I did say you could compare the usage hub/monitor but had to be on daily basis as you never know when the hub will reset and usage figures lost

0 Ratings
Pathetic_Service
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 21

Hi imjolly

I appreciate your posting but I am not sure what you are saying.  Thanks for your advice on the hub readings, but since the hub tells you exactly when it was last reset, I know exactly what period the data usage was for. 

I have read endless posts about BT data usage being incorrect and as yet have never seen a solution.  If you know of a post that can help please let me know.  The call centres are utterly useless.

You mentioned in your last post that the online data usage readings can be incorrect, could you explain how you know this?  I am very interested in how BT calculated that reading.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 21

only BT can explain what is included exactly but the new 'cloud' was being included at outset and has been fixed now.

if your connection is that bad then you can get help by posting your router stats on speed/connection board - but again up to you

0 Ratings
Pathetic_Service
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 21

Hi imjolly,

I'm confused, did you mean to post that in this thread? Neither of your comments relate to my issue.

0 Ratings