Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beaumont15
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

BT debt that i don't owe

Hi,

I recieved a letter from BT stating that I owed BT £282 and my debt is going to be passed on to Fredrickson International Ltd. 

The thing is I don't and never have had an account with BT.

The letter i recieved was on headed paper and looks very legitamite, however my house number (i have not recently moved to this house and have been liveing here for 20+ years, so i can rule out the previous owners) on the letter is wrong and theres no account number for me to reference from.

I spoke to someone on the customer service team last night at BT, he told me just to ignore it and that i dont have an account with BT. However when i asked him BT must have my data to which he said they dont, i then asked him how  could they have sent a letter addresses to me (albeit wrong house number) if they didnt have my details. To which he said it was a technical error. 

Surely this cant be just a technical error? 

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
VeteranISPUser
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT debt that i don't owe

Hi @Beaumont15

This really sounds like a phishing letter. I hope you haven’t responded to any contact details on the letter. I would have thought that any genuine letter from BT would quote your account number. Perhaps report it to the Police. 

0 Ratings
Squash
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Re: BT debt that i don't owe

It would be best to contact BT Security on 0800 321 999 to report this letter to them and to validate its legitimacy. They will be able to confirm this for you. Taking a quick look at the named company in OP there seems to be a lot of similar reports to yours which are fraudulent but best to check with Security first and then report it to the police. 

0 Ratings
Beaumont15
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

I have never been a BT customer and now they have passed my 'debt' to a debt collection agency twice

Hi,

I have never been a BT customer in my entire life, and a debt collection company called me saying i owe them money for the outstanding BT bill. I couldnt even pass the debt agency's security because they have the wrong house number and wrong DOB for this 'person' who has the same name as me and lives on the same street. I explained this to the said company and they said they would delete my details.

I spoke to BT customer services and explained this and they said to ignore it as they dont have me as a customer. 

Fast forward a few months to today, i get a call from another debt collection agency, saying i owe them money for a bt bill, but once again i cant pass security. 

They said i need to speak to BT who have issued the debt, BT just tell me to ignore it.

What do i do? 

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

Re: I have never been a BT customer and now they have passed my 'debt' to a debt collection agency t

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

Related thread https://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/BT-debt-that-i-don-t-owe/m-p/1863276#M99692

0 Ratings
RobbieMac
Message 6 of 6

Re: I have never been a BT customer and now they have passed my 'debt' to a debt collection agency t

Hi @Beaumont15

Thanks for your post and welcome back.

Strange issue! Sorry for any confusion this has caused.  Send us over whatever info you have and we will try and get to the bottom of this for you.

Click on my username here >> RobbieMac << and you'll see our contact link underneath my profile picture.

Cheers,

Robbie

0 Ratings