cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 17

BT forcing people from copper broadband onto fibre?

Go to solution

I just received a phone call from somebody claiming to be from BT saying that they are getting rid of copper broadband from March and so he wanted to switch me over onto fibre broadband. I have received letters from BT in the past asking me to switch (though they never mentioned anything about disbanding copper) and I have so far not made the switch because I'm happy with copper broadband speed and fiber is far more expensive after the 8 months. He said that I will not have to pay anything more than I already do so I would be getting fibre for the same price as copper.

Is this just a scam to get me to sign over onto the more costly fibre broadband contract? I do not want to pay anything more as firstly I can't afford to and secondly I'm perfectly happy with the speeds I have right now.

Has anybody else heard about this?

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: BT forcing people from copper broadband onto fiber?

Go to solution

@anthony_ 

Just ignore it, normal ADSL broadband is going to be around for quite a while, but BT like to push FTTC, which is still copper, so they can sell extra services that require a faster speed.

I am still on 10Mb ADSL, which is more than adequate.

If you want to opt out of any future mailings or phone calls, use this form.

https://www.bt.com/consumer/edw/privacypolicy/marketingpermission/bt/#/

I did this, as I was continually receiving post about upgrading.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 17

Go to solution

It says in this news article that they are switching all the ADSL broadband users onto fibre by June 2020?

https://www.zdnet.com/article/slow-broadband-bt-promises-a-speed-upgrade-for-700000-customers-by-nex...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution

I would not take too much notice of that, as there is nowhere near the capacity that would be needed to do it.

They would be concentrating their efforts for those customers who are getting speeds below 2Mbs, as many ISPs will not sell those slow speeds, so Openreach cannot sell it to them.

The only issue is, that if to have to re-contract, you may only be given the option of FTTC, as ADSL is no longer offered if FTTC is available at your property.

That will end up costing more eventually.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution

I'm on 10Mbs at the moment which is plenty fast enough for me. I tried looking through the My BT website but couldn't find out when/if my broadband contract ends. Is there a way to check? Perhaps I'm coming to the end of the contract and some entrepreneur salesman on commission was notified and is trying to switch me over?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 17

Go to solution

@anthony_ wrote:

I'm on 10Mbs at the moment which is plenty fast enough for me. I tried looking through the My BT website but couldn't find out when/if my broadband contract ends. Is there a way to check? Perhaps I'm coming to the end of the contract and some entrepreneur salesman on commission was notified and is trying to switch me over?

How to view your contract terms

First of all you need to go to this page. https://www.bt.com/appsordermgmt/secure/listoforders.do
Then select the order that you wish to view, and on the top right there will be a link saying "Show contract terms"

As you have said, someone trying to make a sale.

You do not have to renew your contract, as it carries on a monthly basis, and unless you are on a special discount at the moment, you will not be offered anything better to move to FTTC, and it will eventually end up costing more. You only have to look at the price list to see that.

You may also find that you cannot renew the ADSL contract, as it may not appear on the sales agent`s screen.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 17

Go to solution

https://www.bt.com/appsordermgmt/secure/listoforders.do

I visited that website but it just says "No orders found". I checked my bill and it's rolled "Broadband and Calls" into a single bill of £47 so perhaps I am out of contract already?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 17

Go to solution

That page has changed a bit and you have to make sure you select the right account number from the dropdown list at the top, as you may find that it defaults to the wrong one.

I can see all of my orders, once I select my landline account.

I have been out of contract for a long time, and this is what I see. That ties up with the current BT price list for standard broadband.

Broadband Unlimited + Calls
Includes Line Rental Saver
That does not include line rental, as I paid that in advance.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 9 of 17

Go to solution

£47 per month for Broadband and Calls isn't a very good deal.. I'm on Infinity 2 with 80 Mb FTTH with BT Halo 1 and it only costs £39.99. This is actually less than when i originally joined BT 4 years ago...  Always found them to deliver outstanding value for money...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 17

Go to solution

From a reliability point of view, I have never liked the idea of electronic equipment in external cabinets which are subject to the outside environment, having worked on such equipment in the past. No matter how well its protected, eventually it fails.

ADSL equipment is situated in a protected exchange, with a guaranteed power supply and my phone connection also originates there, so its easy to check the whole route.

I am happy to pay a bit more for reliability, over speed.

0 Ratings