cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
adamjohnston99
Beginner
Message 1 of 31

BT have been double charging us for over 9 years!

I used to live in a flat above the shop we owned, the shop also had a post office which required a broadband connection for the horizon systems it used. We had the same telephone line in the shop, post office and flat. We (foolishly) went with BT for our broadband and ordered it for the flat, the broadband obviously never worked (you can't have two broadband connections on one line) so BT advised we install a new line, which we did. Once the new line was installed everything worked and we had no problems. Until we came to moving.

We recently moved to a new house and as you do when you move you cancel all your utilities, which we did. My dad noticed a monthly direct debit coming out of his account after we moved to our new house, so he went to the bank and cancelled it, upon his visit to the bank he noticed that this monthly payment had been coming out of his bank for the last 9 years. I am fully aware of how stupid this is on my dad’s behalf for not checking but it's not to be expected.

After he cancelled the direct debits he tried to contact BT to find out what was going on, they had no record of the account. Some customer advisors can find details and others can't, it is very frustrating. So he was told that the account was suspended for investigation. A few weeks go by and we hear nothing from BT, then a debt collecting company send a letter threating to send people around, my mum gets my dad to pay this in the hope that BT's investigation will clear things up and we will be refunded the full amount, over the last 9 years, whilst also worrying about her credit rating. We hear nothing from BT, and then another debt collecting letter for the same amount from the same company, after the debt had already been paid (we have receipts of this), my dad calls the debt collecting company and asks them to suspend it and to go to BT to clarify the debt. Obviously BT were unable to clarify the debt to this company. We hear nothing back from the original debt collecting company or BT. So they instead BT go to another debt collecting company, who send another threatening letter. The new debt collecting company have taken our Ombudsman reference number and has thankfully suspended the debt for now.

Can anyone explain how it is possible that BT, who have been charging us £30.60 every month for the last 9 years, are able to do this? The stress and hassle this is causing is unbelievable, the phone calls to the 0845 numbers, the amount of time dealing with customer advisors.

We have tried so many times to contact BT, we have been advised by them to write a letter, we did, and no reply, we were advised by the CAB to write them a letter, we did, and no reply.

We have bank statements with this account number on and bills with this account number on, yet no one can tell us what the bill relates to or why we're still being charged. We have been told the accounts been suspended on numerous occasions but still received debt collecting letters.

This is beginning to stress my mum out a lot and every time I contact BT I get nowhere, which I’m sure people in these forums are used to. I literally don't know what to do, like I've said, we're dealing with the Ombudsman but I can't see them being able to do anything. Does anyone have any advice or a similar experience that they can share?

0 Ratings
30 REPLIES 30
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 31

Re: BT have been double charging us for over 9 years!

The moderators of the forum have been informed of your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are a BT UK based team and if they can help they will reply via this post.

meanwhile please remove your account details as this is a public forum.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 31

Hi Adamjohnston99

I can have this investigated for you.

Please send me an email using the contact the mods link in my profile you will find it in the section 'About Me'.

If you include any other account details with BT as well this will help to investigate this fully for you.

Thanks

Stuart

Community ModeratorStuartH
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
adamjohnston99
Beginner
Message 4 of 31

This seems exactly like the twitter pages, please use the forms to contact us...........

It's all a very public way to show that you're helping when in actual fact I will get nowhere with you, like I have since september.

I will fill in the forms in the hope that this time is different but I very much doubt it will be.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 31

Why did you post on the forum if you don't expect to be helped? The moderators have a very good reputation for getting problems resolved. Assuming they do resolve your problem, which I'm sure they will, I hope you will come back to the forum and up date your negative comments!

0 Ratings
adamjohnston99
Beginner
Message 6 of 31

I posted in the forums to get other peoples experience, to find out if anyone else has had a similar problem and had it solved.

I don't expect to be helped by BT and haven't been since September like I said. I am more than happy to hold my hands up and retract my comments if I’m proven wrong. I just highly doubt I will be.

I just don't agree with the public way BT appear to be helping when in my past experiences all the "help" I’ve received has still led to me being chased by debt collecting companies.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 31

The contact process here is totally different, you get a person who takes personal ownership of your problem, until its fully resolved.

The contact form asks for your forum community name, and a link to this thread.

0 Ratings
adamjohnston99
Beginner
Message 8 of 31

So why is it a different process from that on Twitter? The contact form of twitter essentially asks for the same information, twitter name, and an details of query.

The only difference is they don't ask for the thread URL, which in the thread you explain your problem, much like you do in the details of query field on the twitter contact form.

So one person will be personally solving my problem? surely this should be the same process on Twitter?

0 Ratings
adamjohnston99
Beginner
Message 9 of 31

In fact I still actually have my complaint reference number from November 20th and December the 19th. From a similar form i've just been asked to complete. So what you're explaining to me is a slight contrast from the service i've received in the past.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 31

As I am only a BT customer, that is the best advice I can give. If you read some of the forum posts, you will see that the moderators nearly always sort things out. There are a small UK based team, with full access to all account details.

They are your best chance of getting this sorted.

0 Ratings