cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
lizziepuds
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

BT have cancelled our account, phone number gone, no phone, or broadband!

I received a letter from BT dated the 8th August informing me that,
'another customer wants to take over the phone line on 01779 4***** at your address'.
You requested me to,
'tell us if this isn't right.....by the 16th August'. I phoned BT and said I had received it and that we certainly did not want another customer to take over our phone line. The person I spoke to said that was fine, that there was nothing on our account to say that anyone had applied to take over the phone line. She further said that this letter must be a scam. I was therefore reassured and thanked her.

On the 16th August I received a phone call on my mobile from a friend who informed me that he had tried to ring me on our landline but couldn't get through as the number was unobtainable. Again I called BT and the person I spoke to told me that my account had been closed, the direct debit cancelled, and that my number for the last two decades was to be allocated to someone else.
Following a number, quite a number, of expensive calls from my mobile to BT staff in this country and in India to your call centre, we were told that we would have to open a new account which will take until 6th September to set up!

Needless to say, we have no phone, no internet, and relying on mobile phone.

To say that I am angry and frustrated by the cancelling of my account is to put it mildly. It has demonstrated gross incompetence on the part of the officer to whom I spoke on receipt of your letter who reassured me that there was nothing for me to worry about, negligence by call centre staff who repeatedly told me that I would be phoned back by a supervisor, which never happened, and institutional failings in the lack of communication between BT and Open Reach, one seemingly laying the blame at the other with no means of communication between the two except by email, but chiefly, in the principle that my account was arbitrarily chosen to be reallocated by BT, (no other provider had requested to take it over), BT wanted the number for a new build 200 yards from us, and without any recourse to looking at my account to see that we had had it for twenty years. This is outrageous.
We are now left without a phone, without access to the Internet through our landline and with no account.
It is a disgrace and I want an apology and an explanation as to how these circumstances have come about.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT have cancelled our account, phone number gone, no phone, or broadband!

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Watching with interest

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Hi @lizziepuds Sorry that when you called us to tell us you wanted to keep your line the order was not cancelled. 

The delay in getting your number back is due to the normal lead time to transfer the line and number back to you. We will be happy to help you with this if you send us your details. You can contact us by clicking on my user name and selecting contact the mods.

Thanks
John

0 Ratings
lizziepuds
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Oh, and forgot to mention, that right at the start when we first phoned BT we were issued a temporary number 01779 48**** that we could use in the interim until our own number was issued back to us on 6th September. But, this never worked, and, a few days later when we attempted to call this number we managed to get the new house down the road, which has this as their new phone number!

0 Ratings
lizziepuds
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

We finally got our number back today 3rd October after BT chopped the line and cancelled our Direct Debit on the 16th August. We made multiple calls to various BT personnel, in Britain and overseas, plus two visits from BT engineers who described the situation as ‘strange’ and ‘weird’; despite pleas to the CEO and our MP, it still took BT 50 days to get our original number back from the abyss, after having had it for 20 years. We have asked everyone ‘what happened?’ Nobody have been able to give us an answer. I would have thought in this age of computer technology that it would be fairly simple to work out why BT cut us off on the 16th August. Apparently not. I don’t welcome the sickly ‘Welcome to BT’ stock bumph I am now receiving either. Our number has been on a journey to the dark side of BT, who knows what horrors it has experienced, what struggles it had to endure to get back home, but we do have it back... for now.

0 Ratings