cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Sarah_G
Message 1 of 3

BT incorrectly posted a default on my credit file

Long story short - I closed my account with BT but the advisor did not do it fully and charges were applied in error. Went through the complaints process and BT agreed the charges should be refunded. Appears this was not done in full and a balance of £21 was left outstanding.

A default for £21 has now been recorded on my credit file. BT have admitted liability and confirmed the zero balance.

I am in the middle of applying for a mortgage and no high street lender will offer me a deal while the default is on my file. BT have said they are unable to make a correction directly and I have to go through Equifax instead, but this takes up to 21 days.

What do I do? I can’t wait 21 days as I’ll lose the house which I’ve worked so hard to get for me and my son.

It’s BTs error but they won’t do anything to help correct it.
0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 3

Re: BT incorrectly posted a default on my credit file

See http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/51898/~/have-a-question-about-your-credit-file%3F

"There's a very important reason why we ask you to contact Equifax in the first instance. Equifax will mark your credit file as 'in query', so there's no further impact on your credit file until the query's resolved."

0 Ratings
Sarah_G
Message 3 of 3

Re: BT incorrectly posted a default on my credit file

That information is incorrect. I contacted Equifax twice and my mortgage advisor, all informed me that a notice of correction simply stops you going through the automated scoring because the NCO must be read before a decision is made, however it’s up to the lender if they take it into consideration or not.

So even though I have a NCO on the default, it’s still there and no high street lender will lend to me until it’s corrected properly.

BT need to remove it which can be done within 24 hours or go through the Equifax process which takes 21 days.

0 Ratings