cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sarah_G
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

BT incorrectly posted a default on my credit file

Long story short - I closed my account with BT but the advisor did not do it fully and charges were applied in error. Went through the complaints process and BT agreed the charges should be refunded. Appears this was not done in full and a balance of £21 was left outstanding.

A default for £21 has now been recorded on my credit file. BT have admitted liability and confirmed the zero balance.

I am in the middle of applying for a mortgage and no high street lender will offer me a deal while the default is on my file. BT have said they are unable to make a correction directly and I have to go through Equifax instead, but this takes up to 21 days.

What do I do? I can’t wait 21 days as I’ll lose the house which I’ve worked so hard to get for me and my son.

It’s BTs error but they won’t do anything to help correct it.
7 REPLIES 7
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT incorrectly posted a default on my credit file

See http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/51898/~/have-a-question-about-your-credit-file%3F

"There's a very important reason why we ask you to contact Equifax in the first instance. Equifax will mark your credit file as 'in query', so there's no further impact on your credit file until the query's resolved."

0 Ratings
Sarah_G
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

That information is incorrect. I contacted Equifax twice and my mortgage advisor, all informed me that a notice of correction simply stops you going through the automated scoring because the NCO must be read before a decision is made, however it’s up to the lender if they take it into consideration or not.

So even though I have a NCO on the default, it’s still there and no high street lender will lend to me until it’s corrected properly.

BT need to remove it which can be done within 24 hours or go through the Equifax process which takes 21 days.

Cc3
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

I know exactly how you feel. I had a default funny enough for £21 put on my account. BT excepted it was a mistake but won’t take it off. I opened a case with equifax and when they got through to BT they have stated I paid a part payment and I need to contact BT to pay in full and they wouldn’t take the default off (my balance is 0 I don’t owe anything!) After ringing BT for the hundredth time and being passed from pillow to post, I’ve had to open a case with the financial ombudsman ...this has been going on for 3 months now. Nobody in BT have a clue what to do! I’ve also written to head office as surprisingly you can’t contact by email. 

0 Ratings
Dottydots
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

I have a similar problem. My credit file recently states a default from BT in 2016 and when recently raised with Equifax, BT insist the default stays in place. They have provided no documentation in support and asked I contact them to settle and discuss. When I contact them to ask what this is all about, they say they are unable to see why the default is there and even stated that they owe me the amount stated on the default! They say they are unable to remove the default and there is nothing I can do. They can’t back the default up at all. Bank statements show BT refunded me the amount of the default a month after the alleged final invoice. They refuse to discuss further and say the matter is closed, regardless of the impact caused.

0 Ratings
Vills777
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

That is awful and they really are a law unto themselves, they don’t seem to care whatsoever. I have had a really helpful guy at BT who saw they shouldn’t have placed the default and can’t even see that there was a a final bill etc. He has sent an email confirming that they shouldn’t have placed a default and there was/is a zero balance. Whilst I have to wait for Equifax and the bothered I contact them so that BT can confirm things to them I am hopeful it will be removed.

your case seems like you have grounds for a civil case against BT as well as being able to get Equifax etc to remove the data. Your ability to obtain credit at a favourable rate has been damaged and any credit you may have got in that time will have been more expensive or it may have destroyed your chances of an important loan or mortgage etc. BT have a responsibility to properly report on unpaid bills and if they are owed money they must report it but on the other hand they must not be reporting late payments/defaults where there is no bill.

0 Ratings
psehgal1
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

Hi Vills,

I have had the same issue recently with BT. I don't even have an account with them! The last one closed 3 years ago without any pending balance. I have raised this with Experian. Did they finally remove the default notice from their credit file?

Many Thanks

0 Ratings
Vills777
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

Yes it was removed 

0 Ratings