Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ramesh26
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

BT lost my landline number

Hi please help. I placed a order for Fibre broadband and landline on BT's website on 10/08/2018. I also selected the option for them to keep my old landline which I had with sky. The switch over was meant to take place on  24/08/2018 by midnight that date. However the next day I had no broadband and no landline. I called up BT and they said there was a delay with the order and it should be working in the couple of days. I waited and still had no service. I called up again and raised a complaint and was told that a case manger would call me but got no phone call so I contacted them and spoke to someone else . Everyday i was calling up saying that i have no landline and broadband. Then my case manager said he will cancel the order and recreate my order and would contact me once completed. Then on 04/09/2018 another person calls me and said the order was not placed so she would do it. Then she calls me back saying that she can not keep my old landline number and that I should call sky and get the number re connected with them. Everytime i called BT I told them that keeping my landline number was very important. I contacted Sky and they said they can not get this number back as it had been requested to be ported over to BT and that they can not help. Can anyone please help as I just need to get this number back.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: BT lost my landline number

Have you always been with Sky, ot did you have a BT Retail number before Sky?

Sky have their own equipment and number range, and porting a number is not always possible.

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

0 Ratings
ramesh26
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Hi thanks for the reply. I was with sky for about 5 years before I decided to switch. When I placed the order on the BT website I got confirmation that I could keep the number and also got confirmation from Sky about the switch taking place
0 Ratings
-Richie-
Expert
Message 4 of 10

If a mod doesn't step in to help you can ring BT and ask for the connections team, they can manage porting to request the number is assigned to your line.

0 Ratings
ramesh26
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

Thanks for the reply.  I called the connections team ealier but they said the porting team are not open, so they are calling me tomorrow morning. I am just not confident with BT sorting this beacuse my case manager for my complaint told me to go back to sky to get the number back but Sky said its down to BT to sort as Sky can not reconnect on that number. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Hi @ramesh26,

How did you get on today? Did you get your call back? If you need any help we can happily look into all of this for you. To get in touch with us, click on my user name and then copy and paste the link under "Moderation Team Email Address" into your browser.  Complete that form and we'll get back in touch with you.

Thanks

DanielS

Community ModeratorDannyS
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
ramesh26
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

So to add to this nightmare. I recieved a phone call from BT this morning that said there is no way to get this landline number back. They have now advised me to contact virgin to see if they can get the number back. Virgin have advised me that if the number has been disconnected then they can not do it! I also phoned sky and they said that they did everything as requested by BT and this problem is down to BT to fix
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

What has Virgin got to do with it, as you said you were with Sky?

Where you with Virgin Media before Sky? If that is the case then Virgin Media would own the number range, which is most likely the reason why it cannot be ported again, to BT.

0 Ratings
ramesh26
Beginner
Message 9 of 10

I have been with Sky for about 4 years before placing this order with BT . Before this I was with Virgin Media. I don't understand why Virgin would have to be involved in this matter as I have not been with them for a very long time. Also I would have never placed an order with BT if it was clear that I could not keep this number. I would have stayed with Sky. However as BT had already requested to take the number from SKY and this was all going to happen on 24th August 2018. For what ever reason BT did not get this done. Then on 28th August 2018 I got message from BT saying that they have cancelled the order and then they are going recreate the order. At this point I think the number has been Lost
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

Virgin Media have their own separate network with their own number range. The same as Sky do.

Porting from Virgin Media to Sky would be simple, as they do not rely on the fixed phone number allocations associated with your local BT exchange. They can port numbers using software.

I suspect the the issue is, the its not possible to map your Virgin Media number, to the number range of your local BT exchange.

Despite the fact that you ported from VM to Sky, the number still belongs to VM, and will eventually revert to them if it cannot be ported.

I am sure @DanielS will look into this. You should be able to arrange a changed number interception message. to tell people you new number.

Its actually easier to port out a BT Retail number to another provider, and it can be easily ported back again, provide you are still at the same address.