cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jingies
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 50

BT not sending usage warning emails

I have recently received an email telling me that I used over my allowed 40Gb last month, but I have never received any warning emails which should be automatically sent whenever I pass 32 Gb (i.e. 80 % of quota).

I've spoken to BT customer services, and their response was simply "We sent an email to your (username)@btinternet.com address."  When I explained that no emails had been received to this address, or my specified contact address (@gmail) they simply repeated "We sent an email to your (username)@btinternet.com address." until I gave up.  They wouldn't accept the possibility that the automatic emails were never sent and became patronising and rude when I explained that no emails had been received to any of my addresses.

Has anyone else received, or more importantly not received, quota warning emails recently? 

0 Ratings
49 REPLIES 49
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 50

Re: BT not sending usage warning emails

Have you checked BT Yahoo! webmail? It's not unknown for messages to go direct to the Spam folder if SpamGuard is on. 

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
jingies
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 50

All email sent to the @btinternet address I was given is forwarded to an address I actually use, but I have also logged in and checked directly; no emails in the inbox, or the spam folder.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 50

@jingies wrote:

@All email sent to the @btinternet address I was given is forwarded to an address I actually use, but I have also logged in and checked directly; no emails in the inbox, or the spam folder.

Hi.

@Can you say if all other emails sent to the @btinternet address are being forwarded ? You did actually fail to mention the forwarding in your initlal post, or if others were being received.

0 Ratings
jingies
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 50

The email forwarding should be irrelevant, as the contact email address (to which bills etc) are sent is not this address.  However, I have just tested this and the forwarding does not seem to be working.

This does not resolve the problem though, as I can see the test messages I have just sent in the @btinternet inbox, which is otherwise completely empty (no quota messages from last month!).

Edit:  It seems forwarding is now working, just very slowly!  The test emails I sent yesterday have now arrived at the address to which they were forwarded, and a test I just sent has been successfully forwarded.

0 Ratings
Racehunter
Contributor
Message 6 of 50

I have been having similar problems. The information line beneath the BT Monitor tells me that I have been sent emails on two separate occasions (last month and this) to both the @btinternet address and my main address. None have arrived so it is a good job I regularly check the online monitor (for what it's worth!)

0 Ratings
MonicaJ
Contributor
Message 7 of 50

In same boat, definitely missed at least one message in November.

BT occasionally sends warning emails to my @live account, which gets 3 messages a week and no spam at all.

My BT Broadband Usage Monitor shows a warning should have triggered in November - it was definitely not received. I haven't deleted any messaged since September. I got similar response - polite "we sent it tough" with no copy sent to me as requested.

0 Ratings
DavebyC
Contributor
Message 8 of 50

I have had the same problem - several times.

I have complained repeatedly about this but nothing gets done about it.

There's a list saying a warning email was sent (on the Broadband Usage page of MyBT) but more often than not the emails are never sent. When I complain using 'live chat' they send a list of these to me and I counter with a screen shot of my Inbox for the relevant date.

Last year I complained about a surcharge and was given a credit but this took me about half an hour to convince the Customer Help person.

Yesterday I was getting worried about my usage as it's getting near the month end and I'm only on the 10Gb tariff - so I checked on MyBT and found that I was nearly up to 80% and it stated a warning had been sent --- I haven't received the email. So I contacted via 'live chat' and, once more, got the usual responses. "What was my contact email address?" etc. etc.

As usual I asked for my complaint to be forwarded to the relevant people - not much hope!

This is either a major technical problem or it is a deliberate policy to try and persuade users to move up to a higher tariff.

Would someone from BT who cares (If such a person exists) care to comment/look into this problem?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 50

Hi Guys

I can see several of you have had the same issue.

I can have this raised to get it investigated further, if you can fill in the contact us form in my proile (in the section about me) we can pick this up to investigate why these notifications are not being received.

Thanks

Stuart

sandy4268
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 50

I have had this exact problem and am very unhappy.

Reminder e-mails apparently sent in DEcenber and January were not received and I wassubsequently charged.

They go to 2 separate addresses both of which I check on a daily basis.

I have also not received the e-mails which were apparently sent yesterday - I can see in front of me that these e-mails have not been received.

I did complain and received a reply basically calling me a liar, his 'proof' was a copy of the page stating the e-mails had been sent.

I really do dispair, I feel so disgusted I want to leave BT at the earliest opportunity, maybe I'll calm down soon.

0 Ratings