cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DavebyC
Contributor
Message 31 of 50

Re: BT not sending usage warning emails

A good way to save a record of your Usage Monitor page, on a particular date, is to take a 'screen grab'.

Make sure you have your browser full screen. Hover your cursur over the time (bottom right of scrren on bar) so that the date pops up - then do a Shift+Prt Scr (the key to the right of F12).  Then open a program like Windows Paint and go Edit - Paste  You can then save a picture of your usage for that date.

0 Ratings
MrX911
Contributor
Message 32 of 50

Thanks for your email I have replied to you on your contact us link and hope to hear back. 

0 Ratings
DavebyC
Contributor
Message 33 of 50

On the afternoon of Friday 22nd February I was contacted, for the first time, by the BT software engineer who is supposed to be looking into the missing warning emails.  This is several weeks after I was given an 'Incident Reference Number' for this problem.

As I had estimated that I was soon to hit 70% of my allowed usage, I wondered if this was a coincidence. The message read:-

"As confirmed by our technical team, the usage alerts was sent to your mailbox on 22/01/2013 at 15:58:30 which was a warning mail sent at 7GB.

Could you please confirm for the same from your end.

Thanks for your time in this matter and we apologize for any inconvenience that may have caused to you."

As the reason for my complaint was that I hadn't received such a warning email this seems a strange question!

I checked my usage on Saturday 23 Feb @ 12:35 it was 7.03% of my alloted 10GB but the monitor page did not claim that a warning was sent and, as expected, no warning email had been received.

I checked again on Sunday 24 Feb @14:45 - the Usage indicator said I had now used 77% but, surprisingly, still did not claim that a warning email had been sent. So what is being used to trigger the 'phantom' emails?

I checked once more @ 17:19 and my usage was obviously still shown as 77% but now the page claims "24/02/2013  Total usage is now over 7GB. Advisory email sent to .......

However NO such email has been received - What a surprise!  Needless to say I have JPG Screen Grabs of all the relevant pages.

As someone who started writing computer programs and code in the late 1960s I find it unbelievable that BT can't debug a simple process of setting a flag and running a subroutine.

I wonder how long it will be before I get an answer from the BT TEC team in India.  I will keep you all posted.

0 Ratings
aht
Beginner
Message 34 of 50

Contributors should be aware that I have been telephoned by a very helpful Customer Care lady who was very sympathetic and agreed with my suggestion that I monitor and log my usage for the next month to gather evidence of any discrepancies in usage.  She is an intermediary between me/us and the developers who, as in the world over, are reluctant to find fault with their own work unless presented by hard evidence. 

I will keep a daily log of my router c/f BT Broadband stats which hopefully will provide some hard evidence to be investigated.

Watch this space.

0 Ratings
Lynne_hunt
Beginner
Message 35 of 50

For the second month out of three I have now gone over my limit because I have not received the supposedly sent emails. I complained by email last month it took 4 emails and a phone call before I got anywhere but I am sure the customer service advisor did not believe me. Eventually they credited my account with the £5 they charged me but again the emails have not arrived. Interesting to see it is not just me. Does anyone know BTs time scale?
0 Ratings
MonicaJ
Contributor
Message 36 of 50

Just to compare notes (not asking for advice from fellow customers today 🙂  [Note to censors: quotes are to help others]

24th Jan logged this as 13xxx4-009xx6,

29th Jan received email  "SCxxx - SD387xxxx7 - Broadband usage alerts" and was "being investigated by our technical team. we will keep you updated about the progress of the issue."

22nd Feb received email "As per the investigation from our technical team, warning email were sent to your mailbox on 25/01/2013. Please confirm the same from your end so we could investigate further."

I confirmed the January message was never received, that this is a repeat occurrence for me and that other people are effected.

I now feel 'suckered in' for ever believing BT were actually investigating anything for us customers.

I now think the technical team believe customers are either: lying, too thick to check spam folder, accidentally deleted the message without reading it etc, so therefore have not/will not investigate this.

It would be more helpful (and honest!) if they just tell customers "We are not contractually obliged to send warning messages. If you wish to avoid additional charges for exceeding your usage allowance we suggest you check the Broadband Usage Monitor daily, and always on the 1st of the month to check your monthly usage figures."

If you're reading this because you've not received February warning messages (to both your primary and secondary email address) you're not going mad!  We believe you, but BT won't!  The only answer is don't rely on the warning messages!

0 Ratings
arbee
Message 37 of 50

I have just found out that according to bt broadband usage page "for technical reasons some YouView content is currently contributing to the usage monitor even though it's exempt."

I had been told I had exceeded 40 GB limit in which is apparently sufficient to download 50 movies. There is no way this happened. I am now disputing the £50 they took off me in Feb and the potential £90 charge in the pipeline for March.

In the meantime I have upgraded to unlimited infinity to avoid future problems but be warned!!  Who knows how accurate the usage monitor is.

0 Ratings
DavebyC
Contributor
Message 38 of 50

After sending as much information as I could to "The Incident Desk" who had logged my original complaint, I have now received the following:-

"We have now sent the same information back to our technical teams so as to investigate the cause of alerts not being sent after July, 2012.

We assure the investigation is underway for all the possible causes of mail not reaching your mailbox. This has been taken on priority and we would get back to with more update as soon as we hear something from the technical team.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the delay in resolving this issue.

We will contact you again once this issue has been resolved.

Thank you for your time in this matter and we apologize for any inconvenience that may have been caused to you."

Could it be that a Software Engineering could actually be investigating the "Case of the Missing Emails"?

Don't hold your breath! ...... but I will keep you all informed.

Dave

0 Ratings
Suckered
Aspiring Contributor
Message 39 of 50

Check your bills too and print records. I now have evidence that my online bills do not include excess charges, but DD collection and credit control chasers continue with excesses added (I cancelled DD and advised BT. I had it confirmed this would not follow credit control process when in dispute- lies as now cut-off and threatened with debt collector and credit rating impact!) . Non compliance with regulator, DDM agreement and criminal in my opinion. The sheer weight of posts and complaints, referral to technical teams etc indicates a real problem, cover up etc.
BT have been invited to resolve my position by cop Friday
I tried to stay with BT, but stone walling, failed promises and loss of vital services left me no choice but go to Tesco. I have to say, that on the same line my service is massively improved for a fraction of the price. BT's loss.
Oh yes, I have also printed the system outage ages to prove that the usage monitor does not work.
It is easy to see how many customers feel this is a BT tactic to move customers to upgrade.
0 Ratings
peterwt
Aspiring Expert
Message 40 of 50

Interesting - my broadband usage today shows I am over the 7Gb of my 10Gb allowance and that an email was sent today and there was the email in my Inbox. So it looks as though they may have fixed the problem!!

Peter
0 Ratings