Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 351 of 373

Re: BT price changes April and August

It may be something to do with my communication preferences on my MyBT profile. I receive lots of offers to upgrade, in the post, which I ignore.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 352 of 373

You may be right @Keith_Beddoe as I always turn off all notifications/communication methods except via email. Good spot.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 353 of 373

BT do say that notifications would be by post/e-mail, so I was not surprised to receive it by post and e-mail.

The front of the letter was different than the normal upgrade offers, I cannot remember the exact wording, but it was very similar to the e-mail.

Something as important as a price change, should be sent by post, because not everybody uses their e-mail address, and large scale e-mails like that, tend to end up in spam.

By sending a letter to the account holder`s billing address, it makes sure that everyone is aware.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 354 of 373

I didn't receive anything in post either, just the email. I would have preferred this sort of thing in writing as well.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 355 of 373

36 pages of complaints about these price hikes speaks volumes that BT have upset many of their customers. What other national enterprise when agreeing a fixed price for 12 or 18 months would then hike the price during that contract? If there was a need for a price increase, and thats debatable,  then surely you would charge the new price on new contracts?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 356 of 373

If you read through the thread you will see it is not 36 pages of complaints.  It is a mix of complaints, how the price rise affects people, how to use the price rise to get out of the contract, how BT and other national enterprises utility companies etc can increase prices mid contract, and about people reading the Terms and Conditions of a contract etc etc.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 357 of 373

When taking out a new contract (and not just with BT) you need to fully read the t&c's. They always give prominence to the phrasing:

We may change any prices and terms during your contract. If this affects you, we'll tell you about important changes in advance, and you'll be able to end your contract without any fees.

Therefore, BT, and the others, are within their rights to change pricing so long as they give you ample notice (which they do).

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 358 of 373

@Nigehol wrote:

36 pages of complaints about these price hikes speaks volumes that BT have upset many of their customers. What other national enterprise when agreeing a fixed price for 12 or 18 months would then hike the price during that contract?

So far as I know, from the providers I have looked at, the answer is "all of them except one".  The rules here mean that I cannot name that one.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 359 of 373

Its hardly ethical though. What would happen if you visted a supermarket picked out some goods and then by the time you got to the till, the price was increased. And then you found out that the supermrket was within its rights as it was in their terms and conditions which yoo had failed to read.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 360 of 373

You don't sign up to a contract and agree to Term & Conditions before you pick up your goods at a supermarket so it's not a very good comparison.

You are also not required to buy the goods at a supermarket and likewise if you don't like the prise rise with BT you don't need to continue with the contract.

0 Ratings