Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Aspiring Expert

BT price changes April and August

Copy and paste of announced price changes as reported widely elsewhere today

From 2nd April 2017

Line rental price not changing while standard broadband will increase in price by £2 a month and Infinity fibre-based broadband increasing by £2.50 a month.

From 1st August 2017

BT TV customers will be charged £3.50 a month for BT Sport, while non-BT customers who access BT Sport via Sky will pay £7.50 a month. An additional charge applies to HD viewers.

ney
Expert

Re: BT price changes April and August

I have not decided yet only heard about it a short while ago but if there is to be an extra charge to get BT sports in HD in BT TV then I may cancel BT sport altogether.

Darren
Contributor

Hi, I don't suppose if anyone knows if we'll have to wait until 2nd April before we can break out of our current contract due to these price rises?

Or will there be a letter sent out to customers, with this information?

Any help appreciated, Paul

Distinguished Sage

emails or letters will be sent out before the increases happen just as normal

john46 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
Distinguished Sage

Once you have received your email about the price rise you have 30 days to opt out of your contract. If you want to do that make sure you tell BT it is because of the price rise or you will be hit with cancellation charges.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38694013

Contributor

Thank you to both of you.
Contributor

Once we receive formal confirmation of the price increases from BT do we have to opt out in writing or will a phone call suffice? 

ney
Expert

I would think a phone call. I only renewed my contracts just under a week ago but im already thinking of maybe canceling BT Sport but will wait till BT send a letter or email to see how the changes will afect me and what they may offer.

Darren

Distinguished Sage

A phone call. If I remember correctly it tells you on the email.

Contributor

BT price increases: what benefits am I going see?

Hi folks,

With the recent announcement of comprehensive price increases with the promise from BT of better services to compensate can someone in the know tell me what benefits I am actually going to see?

I currently have a BT landline with BT Infinity 2 FTTC (@ ~58-62Mbps) and Unlimited UK Anytime Calls, I don't have BT TV but I subscribe to BT Sport HD via Sky for Rugby Union (...and only Rugby Union - no football, no cricket). I don't/won't actively use BT Call Protect because I already have a phone system that does that. So...

BT Infinity +£2.50/mth

Calls Unlimited +0.49/mth

BT Sport vis Sky +£1.50/mth

By my calculation I'm going to be paying ~£50+/yr more but none of the BT services to which I subscribe are going to see any sort of improvement. BT are not going to run fibre anywhere closer to my home to improve my connection speed, even their latest HH6 router is a POS and doesn't give me proper control over individual connected devices or full WiFi coverage in my (new build) home and I'm not in the least bit interested in The Ashes, and OMG it's football overload on TV already ...it's stupid to be putting more on.

BT increased their broadband prices last year but only improved Infinity 1 and they're not improving their broadband service this time around at all. They just seem to be constantly increasing their prices and hiding these prices rises behind improvements in their lower level service offerings but offering absolutely nothing that benefits a higher level subscriber who has no interest in football, like me.