cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Taffy078
Expert
Message 1 of 5

BT rang to check that I have the best deal available

I was phoned  by BT three days ago. The advisor said she wanted to make sure that I was getting the best deal available, as I'd been with BT for a long time. She rang at a bad time as I had guests so I asked her to phone back; she said she would.

Later, I searched the internet to see what deals BT were offering. BT Full Fibre isn't available where we live but they were promoting Fibre1 for £29 per month, subject to a new 2 years' contract.

Sky are promoting a near-identical package for £25 per month, again subject to a new 2 years' contract.

I phoned them back and explained to a different adviser that I didn't want to move to Sky. I asked her if the £29 per month deal was still available. She said it was. I asked her why I was currently paying £66.99 and she went away to check with a supervisor.

When she came back she said that I was tied to that contract until April 2022. I asked her to email me the correspondence confirming this but she said she wasn't allowed to. But she then said that her supervisor had authorised setting up another contract now for 2 years. Seemed reasonable until she said that the new price would be £67.99, an increase of £1 per month, and that I'd lose BT Sports.

I'm not sure what planet these people live on - expecting me to be pleased with their new deal when the purpose of their phone call was to sure that I was getting the best deal available, as I'd been with BT for a long time etc etc.

There was a time when BT would always follow up a new deal with an email setting out the changes but apparently not nowadays.

I've asked in several earlier threads how I can check what my current deal is, when it started and how long it's for. I'd be grateful for advice on how I do this.

Also does everyone get emailed confirmation of details when a new contract is agreed?

I really don't want to leave BT, especially given the tremendous help and support I've received from the Moderators and experts here but BT at executive level seem to think that they can squeeze customers in order to pay the cost of taking over Sky Sports' deal at a bad time. Perhaps they'll reconsider now that Amazon Prime are thinking of broadcasting some major sports. Perhaps I should email BT's Group Chief Executive, Mr P Jansen, or tweet him - that's often the best route.

I'd really appreciate your comments. Thanks

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Taffy078
Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT rang to check that I have the best deal available

PS If I haven't put this in the correct forum, would a Moderator move it please? TIA
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 5

@Taffy078 

First of all you need to go to this page. https://www.bt.com/appsordermgmt/secure/listoforders.do
Then select the order that you wish to view, and on the top right there will be a link saying "Show contract terms"

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

To find out what your current package is you need to log onto your MyBT then go to "Track Your Order" then find the relevant order and click on "Track Order" this will open the order and then you need to click on  "order summary". This will show you what the order comprised of and its start date.

Keep in mind that you do not need to take out any "new" deal that BT offer you.

If you are in a contract you can easily "upgrade" your contract to a new package. This is allowed because BT are not losing money over the term of the new contract.

If you are in a contract you can not "downgrade" to a cheaper contract without penalty because that would mean that in effect that BT would be losing the money over the full term of the contract.

If you are wanting to move to a cheaper deal yu are best to see your present contract and then phone the "Renewals" on 0800.800.030 and renegotiate what package and cost you are prepared to pay. 

0 Ratings
NigelB72
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 5

Was it definitely BT calling as there is a company calling people claiming to be from BT but they're a comparison company. They also claim to be from Martin Lewis's company as well

0 Ratings