Distinguished Guru
pottyperson

BT's 2013 Price Increases - Right to Cancel

I just got my email notifying the January increases. Although I'm content with my deal even after the increases, I was struck by the obscurity of advice about the right to cancel my contract within 10 days. You have to click a link in the email, then a link "Answers to your questions", then find a drop-down "What if I'm unhappy with the price changes?".

I wouldn't expect BT or any other company to make headline news of the right to cancel, but I would say that BT have erred on the side of obfuscation. If I wanted to cancel and wasn't already aware, I think I would have assumed that I could wait until around the time the increases became effective. Stand by for a few complaints come January!

You can click the white star next to this message if you think it was helpful.
Aspiring Contributor
scaz

Re: BT's 2013 Price Increases - Right to Cancel

I havent had an email yet (though with seemingly no account from BT I am not surprised). 

Can we cancel in January due to the price increases? 

Aspiring Contributor
scaz

Thank you for this post, I am now leaving BT :smileyvery-happy:

I am an experienced customer services agent for a mobile phone company and know the service requirements and internals of a phone industry, so will be happy to stay and help people here.. but NEVER EVER AGAIN!! 

Distinguished Guru
pottyperson

scaz wrote:

Can we cancel in January due to the price increases? 

Not unless it's within 10 days of your notification, which is unlikely to be so late.

Aspiring Contributor
disappointedbigtime

Although I'm content with my deal even after the increases

May I ask, pottyperson, why you are content with your deal even after the increase?

I assume you had a 12month contract with BT, closed some time during the course of this year, with "special" prices, which will now be increased, although that contract has not expired?? Which brings you in line with the rest of us mortals?

Or not?? Any tips? 

Distinguished Guru
pottyperson

I'm content because I'm getting a deal that suits me at a price I'm prepared to pay. I only mentioned it to make clear that I was criticising BT on principle, not for personal reasons.

kkhh

pottyperson wrote:

I'm content because I'm getting a deal that suits me at a price I'm prepared to pay. I only mentioned it to make clear that I was criticising BT on principle, not for personal reasons.

I haven't had email yet! What to do?

Aspiring Expert
jlh478

kkhh wrote:

pottyperson wrote:

I haven't had email yet! What to

You may have missed it.  I nearly missed mine.

I got mine on the 16th October. I then wrote to cancel on the 24th and rang them on the 26th. They still tried to claim I was outside the 10 days and then forced me to cease my services rather than switch.

If you do get it then get straight on the blower to them.  Don't take any messing and ask to speak to a manager if they won't let you switch without penalty.

Aspiring Expert
WatchdogTS

I got the price hike email months ago so you may have missed it. BT is the only company I know of that has an email client that filters its own emails.

Yogibear59

Don't listen to the hype from BT because in law you have the right to cancel at anytime up until the increases take effect you are not confined to the 10 day notice at all, and dont forget that unfair terms and conditions that favour bt over its customers can be challenged in court.