cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Yard3uk
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

BT sport

I am doing something here I do not normally do but just a warning to others and BT policy, during the pandemic and nothing to watch I must have spent 3-4 hours trying to get through to BT to cancel my subscription, it was on the pay monthly so could cancel at anytime, however I could not actually get to speak with anyone so in frustration cancelled my direct debit, 5 months later got threatening letters for payment for a service I had not got again tried calling them and after several more hours spoke to someone only to get cut off when I asked to speak with someone more senior, several more calls and hours on the phone I decided just to pay up for something I did not feel was right, bunch of crooks and will never deal with BT again. I’ve had problems with them in the past and they always take the stance if there is a problem it’s at your end, you must have faulty equipment if we need an engineer to come out we will charge you if no fault found It would be good to hear if others have had the same experience of the BULLY BT tactics to basically extort money

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT sport

As you have found out, if you cancel your Direct Debit all you are doing is cancelling your payment method to BT. You are not cancelling your package and as such it will continue and you will be billed for it even if you have decided not to use it.

This is normal practice with any company that you have a contract with and are paying via Direct Debit.

You need to call BT and cancel in person and although it was taking longer to get through to BT to cancel they were eventually answering the phones.

BT do not charge for an engineer call out if there is no fault found. When you call into to report a fault you are advised that if the fault is found with your equipment or wiring within your property you will be charged. This is to avoid it coming as a surprise if you are billed because of a fault with something that is billable. 

Prior to reporting a fault BT advise you to carry out checks to identify/eliminate the fault being something that you may be billed for.

See link

https://www.bt.com/help/landline/getting-set-up/costs-and-charges/engineer-home-improvement-service-...

0 Ratings
Yard3uk
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

I guess this is the reply I expected and yes technically you are correct, the issue I have with BT is there is no room for compassion, I decided reluctantly to pay as it was costing me hours just to even talk to anyone and if I did I often would be cut off, just to add how can I cancel if I can't get through, that was the issue. I don't accept you were eventually answering the phones as an answer, it seemed I was even then passed to other departments and just cut off. You provide a service to make it easy to sign up but almost impossible to leave.

I will never go back to BT and would urge anyone I know never to deal with them

0 Ratings
Carlusha
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 8

Notwithstanding whether you have paid or not, you still need to make sure you have cancelled your subscription otherwise the whole episode will repeat itself. You need to have patience to await an answer.

Can I change or cancel my package over the phone?

Yes, please have your account number ready (it’s on your bill and on your MyBT).

You can call us:
Monday to Friday 8am to 9pm
Saturday 8am to 8pm
Sunday 9am to 6pm

I want to cancel one or more of my services:

From a landline: 0800 783 1401

0 Ratings
Yard3uk
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

It has now been cancelled but not without several hours on the phone and a great cost to me, that was also the issue that BT took 5 months just to inform me of the back-pay, yes it has at least I hope been cancelled but was a very painful process doing it, why can't BT as many other companies do so allow an online cancellations or is it just that and make it difficult to do so and customers are trapped

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

Just so that you are aware, this is a BT customer to customer forum. That means that I do not provide a service or was not answering the phone, however BT were despite what you may have experienced.

Why would you expect a different answer, not only is it technically correct, it is fully correct or did you just want an incorrect answer?

0 Ratings
Yard3uk
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

What I wanted at the time was to speak with someone but that was next to impossible, even if I did get to talk to anyone I would be passed to another department only to get cut off and have to start again, sometimes I feel it is intentionally made difficult just to lock customers into a contract they can't get out of, why can't BT provide another method to cancel???? especially at the recent difficult time you are just leaving customers in a no win situation.

0 Ratings
BedrockFred
Contributor
Message 8 of 8

"" why can't BT provide another method to cancel???? especially at the recent difficult time you are just leaving customers in a no win situation.""
I agree BT should provide a way to cancel other than phoning in They are happy to set up the service online but not cancel
0 Ratings