cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Backdated charges

I was left fuming yesterday after my November bill was almost double that of previous months. This was because BT had made an error on all of my other bills by not charging me for the entertainment channels. But, incredibly, they had applied a discount to those channels which they hadn't been charging me for! So they sneakily added £27 to my November bill to try to recoup those charges. Most respectable companies would have let it go, as it was their error, and just corrected any future bills. But no, BT insist that I must pay these backdated charges. Needless to say, I have now cancelled my contact. But I am concerned about the implications as I'm only 5 months into a 12 month contract and they have issued an early exit charge of £350. Can I claim that they have broken their own terms and conditions and leave penalty free? Has anybody been in a similar situation?
0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 3

Re: Backdated charges

I think BT's only mistake was not telling you first before applying the clawback charge.

You've underpaid & BT - like any other organisation - are perfectly entitled ask for that to be settled.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 3

Re: Backdated charges

Where have BT broken their Terms and Conditions?

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/static/terms/post3rdjuly2016voiceandbroadband.html

You were getting the services that you agreed to pay for but due to an error you were not charged for at the time. The money was owed to BT so they claimed it back.

Had it been the other way round that they were overcharging you for the services and they owed you money I'm sure you would expect to get the money back.

If you have cancelled the contract you will be liable for the cancellation fees and BT usually pursue people via the usual debt agency etc  if they do not pay them.

0 Ratings