Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rockmc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 19

Be warned: sneaky BT Plus Keep Connected get-out clause

Go to solution

I'm a BT Plus customer with broadband and mobile phone.  On Thursday, my broadband failed and BT confirmed that they had an outage which would be repaired in several hours time.  I thought that I could then rely on their Keep Connected Promise to give me unlimited data on my BT mobile phone for the duration of the outage.  The marketing material on their website certainly indicates that:  Our Keep Connected Promise - Broadband Backup

Suprisingly, that's not the case.  It turns out that they have a number of exemptions listed elsewhere in their Terms and Conditions   including if "your fault is caused by any planned or unplanned outages on BT's network or any third party service;"  (Clause 12 d i )

So, essentially, if BT has any form of network outage, they won't honour their Keep Connected Promise by giving you unlimited data on your phone.  The same applies to the mini-hub - see clause 10 d i.

Pretty disappointed with this - I feel that their marketing material is very misleading.

18 REPLIES 18
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 19

Re: Be warned: sneaky BT Plus Keep Connected get-out clause

Go to solution

What might be covered, is a failure of your line which is maintained by Openreach, as that is not considered part of the BT Broadband network.

Openreach could have a major cable fault, or a damaged cabinet, which could take a while to fix, so a mini hub may be cheaper for BT, than compensating you for loss of service, bearing in mind the new Ofcom recommendations for compensation payments.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 3 of 19

Go to solution

Keep Connected Promise

getting you back online quickly if your broadband stops working. Once you've reported a fault, we'll send you a Mini Hub straightaway at no extra cost. It uses a mobile signal to connect your devices until we've fixed the fault.

Visit our Help section

Broadband Price Freeze

we'll keep your broadband price the same for 18 months.

Dedicated UK and Ireland-based support on hand to help.

So of the benefitsof BT Plus, only the broadband promise is guaranteed?

0 Ratings
rockmc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 19

Go to solution
Another day, another major service outage.

I’m again without broadband and am told it should be fixed by the end of the day.
Again, their BT Plus Keep Connected Promise counts for nothing as it’s a major outage so no mini hub and no unlimited mobile data.
Furthermore, BT tell me that they don’t offer compensation for these faults. How can that be?!
Really poor.
Craig_U
Beginner
Message 5 of 19

Go to solution
Exactly the same has happened to me despite me being promised a hub last week on a call. Ie A verbal contract made. I called tonight to chase this up and was informed the same thing as outlined above. This is disgusting and Ofcom needs to sort this situation out. In other industries this would be a wholly unacceptable method of operation and could almost certainly be seen as mis-selling.
0 Ratings
Andy005
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 19

Go to solution

@Craig_Uwrote:
Exactly the same has happened to me despite me being promised a hub last week on a call. Ie A verbal contract made. I called tonight to chase this up and was informed the same thing as outlined above. This is disgusting and Ofcom needs to sort this situation out. In other industries this would be a wholly unacceptable method of operation and could almost certainly be seen as mis-selling.

If you look at the T&C's then the following is important:

1. When won’t I get a Mini Hub? You’re not entitled to a Mini Hub (or for your existing Mini Hub to be reactivated) if:
  2. Your fault is caused by any planned or unplanned outages on BT's network or any third party service;
  3. Your fault is caused by an issue within your home environment (for example, if your Hub needs to be rebooted or if you have home wiring issues); 

Item 2 is one of those clauses that leads one to suspect that you'll never get a 4G hub, but that depends on what BT define as 'third party' ie Openreach which is their own company, or the definition of 'outage'.

The way that BT Plus is advertised suggests that they'll give you a 4G hub if the broadband to your home fails, the T&C's, to which customers agree to, suggests different. 'On cost' packages that have multiple 'benefits' are rarely worth the money in my view, those that actually benefit are in the significant minority which is why they offer them.

Craig_U
Beginner
Message 7 of 19

Go to solution
Well summarised Andy.
What I take issue with is the marketing of this product and ultimately it's USP being as you suggest largely null and void.
After all how many end users will venture into the small print (t's and c's). Most like me see a solution to a problem (in my case an ability to work from home in the event of an outage) and hit 'Buy'
Many industries are governed and regulated in such a way this kind of practice no longer exists, clearly telecomms have some catching up to do
0 Ratings
rockmc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 19

Go to solution

I'm taking my complaint to the ombudsman if only because it costs BT money.  It has been quite a difficult journey to get the deadlock letter (BT claimed it didn't apply) but they finally agreed on Sunday to send me one.  I've also complained to the Advertising Standards Agency - they agreed that the adverts were misleading and they'd contact BT.  Personally, I doubt that any of this will make any difference but I'm irritated enough to try.

Andy005
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 19

Go to solution

Very few of us read the small print until we have to @Craig_U but we all agree to them when we take out a contract. It's a double edged sword in as much that the consumer agrees to the T&C's, but we take them on face value based on the advertising. When Sky changed their Sports channels and advertised "Only pay for the sports you love", I called them and said I want all sports except for the football channel, only to be told that wasn't possible. How that passed the ASA guidelines is beyond me.

0 Ratings
Andy005
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 19

Go to solution

@rockmcwrote:

I'm taking my complaint to the ombudsman if only because it costs BT money.  It has been quite a difficult journey to get the deadlock letter (BT claimed it didn't apply) but they finally agreed on Sunday to send me one.  I've also complained to the Advertising Standards Agency - they agreed that the adverts were misleading and they'd contact BT.  Personally, I doubt that any of this will make any difference but I'm irritated enough to try.

I would do it just for the principle, the problem is that the majority don't and business know that.

0 Ratings